Starting Oct 1

couchnest

Oh two other things to note (hacks if you will)

If you only get Guac, Lettuce and Carnitas make sure they ring you up for a "Triple Play" it makes the guacamole basically "free"  If you have 3 items or less in your bowl it's a triple play which I believe they charge $4.99 for.  The guac Is $2.30 or whatever and so your meal is under $8! This is another reason I don't get salsa.

Second, ask for a BOWL not a salad.  If you ask for a Salad they put lettuce in first then carnitas.  If you ask for a bowl they'll put carnitas in first.  Why does this matter you may ask?  Because human nature often takes over and the employees put more carnitas in to fill the bowl. This results in you sometimes getting almost a double meat portion without paying extra!  Then add your guac and lettuce at the end.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info on Chipotle.  Well it's the 21st, looking towards the end. Although I have more energy it's not tiger blood. Never got to it on other 2 whole 30s either. I have been overweight pretty much my whole life and at 63 think I need to stay on this a bit longer. Thinking a whole 44. 

Hopefully everyone is still doing well.  It's been a bit quiet on this thread so either people are finding it easier or have given up. Hopefully it's the former versus the latter!  I did a lot of meal prep yesterday and got a great haul from the farmer's market Saturday.  Should keep me less bored this week with some wonderful new options.  I was able to conquer a hill on my bike yesterday (TWICE) that I could only get halfway up even a week and a half ago so I think I've found my tiger's blood. :) 

I know I continue to lose weight because people keep making comments so that's another plus.  My sleep has been amazing again this whole30 just like the last one and my energy level is just so steady.  That's one of my favorite things about whole30.  I also really do notice when I have a carb for a workout and how it boosts my energy.  Before food was food and I never really noticed a difference between foods because it was all so bad.  But I've done a sweet potato with cashew butter and also dried blueberries before my last two bike sessions and I could tell I had more energy to get through. 

Hi all - it is getting quieter here and I'd like to tell why I've been quiet. Here's my story (also posted on FB group I'm following):

True confessions: I've done several rounds and have never failed to complete one, but life happened and it's just not going to happen this time. I've had an incredibly difficult week, emotionally and I chose to have a glass of wine on Wednesday. I decided to give myself a pass and just keep going till Thanksgiving. Then today I helped manage funeral food for a close friend's family. I went ahead and had some of the food. Nothing crazy - non compliant meatballs, corn chips, trail mix and another glass of wine (but no pie!). It just seemed more appropriate to share a meal and wine with my grieving friends than to worry about compliant ingredients. I made the decision mindfully so I don't feel regretful. 

Going forward, I plan to continue on in 99% W30 mode till Thanksgiving, but I will probably have more wine next week when my BFF, who has been living across country for two years while caring for an aging father who died three weeks go, comes home to pack up her recently sold home this week, then leave again. Wine will be required and that's just how it is. 

Reading this back, it's interesting that the wine is the "thing" because I almost never drink anymore. Again, it just seems appropriate given the life situations we are dealing with now. I really didn't have any interest in the pie, which sooo not like me. So, there's that. Let it be.

I guess this is a version of food freedom. I hate not finishing a complete round, but I did make my choices very consciously and didn't just dive completely off the wagon forever, so I'm not going to let it get me down - I have plenty of other things doing that already. 

I hope you are all doing well! Betsie

1 hour ago, Betsie_n said:

Hi all - it is getting quieter here and I'd like to tell why I've been quiet. Here's my story (also posted on FB group I'm following):

True confessions: I've done several rounds and have never failed to complete one, but life happened and it's just not going to happen this time. I've had an incredibly difficult week, emotionally and I chose to have a glass of wine on Wednesday. I decided to give myself a pass and just keep going till Thanksgiving. Then today I helped manage funeral food for a close friend's family. I went ahead and had some of the food. Nothing crazy - non compliant meatballs, corn chips, trail mix and another glass of wine (but no pie!). It just seemed more appropriate to share a meal and wine with my grieving friends than to worry about compliant ingredients. I made the decision mindfully so I don't feel regretful. 

Going forward, I plan to continue on in 99% W30 mode till Thanksgiving, but I will probably have more wine next week when my BFF, who has been living across country for two years while caring for an aging father who died three weeks go, comes home to pack up her recently sold home this week, then leave again. Wine will be required and that's just how it is. 

Reading this back, it's interesting that the wine is the "thing" because I almost never drink anymore. Again, it just seems appropriate given the life situations we are dealing with now. I really didn't have any interest in the pie, which sooo not like me. So, there's that. Let it be.

I guess this is a version of food freedom. I hate not finishing a complete round, but I did make my choices very consciously and didn't just dive completely off the wagon forever, so I'm not going to let it get me down - I have plenty of other things doing that already. 

I hope you are all doing well! Betsie

You have to make choices you can feel at peace with. I totally support seeing your life situation and doing a cleanse in another time. Cheers, peace, and love. 

Still here, still going.  Food dreams are becoming fewer and further between.  I had a nasty stomach reaction to coconut milk in my coffee this weekend.  Not an experiment I'll be repeating.  I went for my annual physical this past week (not by choice, required by work otherwise I would have put it off until I was done).  Therefore, I know I've lost a little weight, which I already suspected due to clothing fit.  I've always had pretty healthy vitals and no change there.  

Call it optimistic, but I'm starting to think about re-introduction plans.  I think I'm going to be somewhere between the fast and slow tracks.  I want to know which foods I might react negatively to rather than re-introducing in the wild (particularly in light of the coconut milk incident).  But I'm in no hurry to re-integrate the foods I've left behind back into my regular diet.  I'm thinking I'm going to make a list of the "too good to pass up" foods so I've already told myself which foods I think are "worth it" and then I'll take a few extra days between introducing each food group.  I definitely am planning on that glass of wine on Halloween while I pass out non-compliant treats to the neighborhood kiddos.  Call me a weak Whole30-er, but even I am not cold-hearted enough to hand out apples and walnuts to kids in costume... 

22 hours ago, sunshine9185 said:

I definitely am planning on that glass of wine on Halloween while I pass out non-compliant treats to the neighborhood kiddos.  Call me a weak Whole30-er, but even I am not cold-hearted enough to hand out apples and walnuts to kids in costume... 

LOL - I don't know if I'm cold hearted, but I don't give candy anymore on Halloween. I do little toys - I get a big batch from Amazon - rubber spiders, glow rings, bouncy balls and the like. We participate in the Teal Pumpkin project where I live, so it's cool not to give the candy out anymore. The kiddos get excited to pick their "trick" from the bowl. Last year my last day of my W30 was Halloween, so I was reallllly grateful not to have to deal with the sugar treats ;) 

Yesterday was a horrific day for me.  Frustrating, emotional, stressful, angering.  I did allow myself to skip my trip to the pool.  I also allowed myself to skip my evening dog walk.  But, my typical corollary to that behavior is to drown my emotions in a bottle of wine and a pint of ice cream.  Happy to report I went home-really not feeling all that hungry.  But when I did feel hungry for dinner, I made some eggs and veggies with some hot sauce and avocado.  And it was actually an empowering experience.  I felt like I was in control of my food choices despite an overwhelmingly emotional day.  I'm hoping that they next time I have a similar experience at work, I'll also be able to take myself to the pool and not leave the dogs hanging on their evening exercise.  

I meant tonpost this earlier in the week and must not have clicked Submit. 

I’m still here as well and still going strong. Can you believe the 30 days will be over after next Tuesday?! Up until Tuesday night, my hives had practically disappeared, or at least diminished enough to not agonize about them through the day. Also, generally speaking, my clothes are fitting better, my energy is sustained throughout the day, and I’m sleeping great. 

I seem to have a flare up of some kind with my hives since Wednesday. I have also been lacking serious energy even though I’m sleeping great. I had some vertigo yesterday and some brain fog. My digestion is off and my abdomen feels a bit distended. I’m not sure if this is just a fluke, a delayed immune response from something pre-Whole30, or if there was some unknown cross-contamination with any of my meals. I also bought a can of coconut milk that has some guar gum in it. I know it’s compliant, but I’m wondering if I’m maybe reacting to that? It’s hard to tell what’s going on exactly.

I seem to be about a week behind the norm as far as the “typical” Whole30 stuff (i.e. the food dreams). I had my first one Tuesday night and it involved me mindlessly eating a lemon bar before realizing I was 3/4 of my way into a whole30 and that I’d have to start over.  

I’m excited and nervous about my reintroduction. And I’m really curious to see if any of the foods exacerbate my hives. I’m also hoping I’m feeling better soon; I was really hoping to finish strong this month and not feel like crap like I have the last couple days. 

I won't be making it the full 30 days.  Unfortunately I didn't factor in our annual trip to apple picking and pumpkin farm.  I have my kiddos every other week and the ex-wife has them the others.  Due to conflicts this weekend was the only weekend I could take them before Halloween which, in the case of pumpkin carving, meant we had to do it this weekend.  Well there's a once a year apple fritter that I just "must" have.  So I let that derail my entire weekend.  I willingly did the fritter then my old habit of "oh well I screwed up now time to really screw up" reared its ugly head.  The only good news about this is I feel terrible physically as a result so it reaffirms my need to keep a mostly whole30 diet. I did lose an additional 7 pounds this whole30 (technically I lost 21 from the beginning of it but I'm only counting the difference from my first to this one).  

Best of luck these last two days.  I'll continue to watch the thread and your results!

Incidentally I am back to Whole30 for the next full week until I go on a business trip next week which will also be as close to Whole30 as I can be given the constraints of my training!

I finally felt amazing in the pool today.  I have been waiting for this!  Swam 500 yards in under 10:30.  Not fast by any means, but starting to resemble my old self again.  #NSV.

Tomorrow is it!  Congrats to everyone who made it.  And really, congrats to those who didn't, too.  It's supposed to be a learning experience and even when we don't achieve the goal, we learn things.  

In keeping with the Whole30 spirit, I'll be ordering myself a cookbook as a reward instead of drowning myself in Halloween candy :P.

@sunshine9185 I had a glass of red wine tonight as well (after a dinner of butternut squash soup and almond-crusted chicken breast). No reactions yet except for the rosy cheeks I usually get when I drink wine. I didn’t hand out candy this year; we recently moved to a new neighborhood that is a bit outside of town, and there aren’t many kiddos around. So it we me and the kitties we just adopted a couple weeks ago, a glass of red, and Hocus Pocus. 

We made it just havent had time to post. I lost 10 lbs, DH about 15. His blood sugar is better. My asthma and allergies are so much better. I cary my weight in my gut so need to lose more than 10 to feel a difference. Hubby said his watch s much loser. I have been sleeping better but he hasnt. So going to try to stick with it another week before reintroduction. Got the books I ordered, Whole Smiths and the Whole30 slowcooker. Looks like lots of yummy stuff. Still need to work o drinking more water and doing more exercise.

I started on October 1 and decided to extend it a few more day. Today bring day 33. I'll be having some bourbon and fries this weekend, BUT, I have loss 17 days and through a business trip and a homecoming at my college alma mater AND hosting Halloween at my house I did not cheat once. Oh yeah and a golf tourney. I'll be the first to admit it that I wanted to chips, cookies, bread, alcohol, ice cream fries, etc. but I needed to prove something to myself that I could do it. I even stayed away from fruit juice (100 OJ) and no stevia or anything in my coffee.  I flavor the heck out of my meals and bought the tessamaes dressing, BBQ sauce and ketchup. That helped, hot sauce also helps. The key learning for me was MODERATION. I CAN HAVE SWEETS, BREAD, etc. but just keep in moderation.  My wife is a true blessing as she did it with me and our kids just did their normal thing.  Meal planning is a key and I also learned to get a food processor.  Also, minimizing snacks and even using smaller plates instead of a dinner plate for dinner. Mental thing of "filling up my plate", even though it was smaller.  I worked out about 6 times during the 33 days and mostly was brisk walking, I am not a runner.  

I feel great and bette pr than I have felt in years and way more energy throughout the day.  For those who are just starting don't just say I am starting tomorrow without proper prep work and meal planning and knowing what to eat and not to eat.  Be mindful and do your best not to cheat, regardless of the occasions.  Good luck to my October 1, 2018 family, CONGRATULATIONS to all who completed!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure if anyone is following this feed anymore or not, but I wanted to share some of my reintroduction experience. 

My mysterious hives worsened with everything but wine and dairy. With dairy, I didn’t experience any hives, but it did not agree with my digestive system very well (mostly a little bloating and some sinus congestion the day of). 

I reintroduced gluten today, so I’ll have to wait a few days to see how I react. I was most nervous for this day because of how gluten negatively affects so many people...also because of I have a strong family history of celiac disease.

All I have to say is: Woof! After 3-4 servings of gluten today (shredded wheat, bread, and whole grain pasta), I am ready to sleep for the next several days. Also, I feel more full/bloated that I ever did after a big Whole30 meal. I’m curious to see what happens over the next couple days with my hives and other symptoms. What an eye-opening experience this has been. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Sconnie715 said:

I’m not sure if anyone is following this feed anymore or not, but I wanted to share some of my reintroduction experience. 

My mysterious hives worsened with everything but wine and dairy. With dairy, I didn’t experience any hives, but it did not agree with my digestive system very well (mostly a little bloating and some sinus congestion the day of). 

I reintroduced gluten today, so I’ll have to wait a few days to see how I react. I was most nervous for this day because of how gluten negatively affects so many people...also because of I have a strong family history of celiac disease.

All I have to say is: Woof! After 3-4 servings of gluten today (shredded wheat, bread, and whole grain pasta), I am ready to sleep for the next several days. Also, I feel more full/bloated that I ever did after a big Whole30 meal. I’m curious to see what happens over the next couple days with my hives and other symptoms. What an eye-opening experience this has been. 

That is some very valuable information you've learned! Hope the gluten-feeling wears off fairly quickly for you!

@ladyshanny Thanks, I do too! I still feel pretty full/bloated this morning. I couldn’t fathom eating a normal breakfast, so I have an apple cut up and an RxBar by my desk in case I feel like nibbling. I’ve also had some hives already this morning, and I feel like I could sleep the day away. It’s not a huge surprise that I’m reacting to gluten, but dang - I’m not a fan. Luckily, I’m planning on taking the day off of work tomorrow to burn up some PTO before the end of the year, so if I’m still feeling cruddy I can just rest. Regardless, I think I have some good information to take back to my doctor. 

I'm doing a pretty slow roll reintroduction.  So I've done alcohol, legumes, and non-gluten grains thus far.  No reactions.  Not really surprising to me, I generally consider my digestive system to be steel-like.  I'll finish over the next two weeks with dairy and gluten and we'll see!

Weight loss has all but stopped, which pretty much happens every time I change things up with my diet.  I lose some weight, it stalls and generally all comes back and then some.  So I'm pretty much expecting that too.  My doctor is testing all of my vitamins and hormones to see if there is something else that's not quite right.

Archived