What is the UK equivalent for this recipe for Ketchup?

SarahS2018

• Moderators

Tomato paste is thick, concentrated tomatoes pureed then cooked until it's reduced into a texture that's actually pretty close to a thick ketchup texture -- according to Wikipedia, in the UK it might be called puree or concentrate. 

Googling, it looks like tomato sauce here might be called passata there? It's tomatoes that are cut small, or sometimes pureed, and cooked but not cooked down to make the thick concentrate that tomato paste is. 

Hopefully this is helpful, and maybe someone from the UK with more direct knowledge will chime in if I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

Tomato paste is thick, concentrated tomatoes pureed then cooked until it's reduced into a texture that's actually pretty close to a thick ketchup texture -- according to Wikipedia, in the UK it might be called puree or concentrate. 

Googling, it looks like tomato sauce here might be called passata there? It's tomatoes that are cut small, or sometimes pureed, and cooked but not cooked down to make the thick concentrate that tomato paste is. 

Hopefully this is helpful, and maybe someone from the UK with more direct knowledge will chime in if I'm wrong. 

Thank you, I shall buy some passata and tomato puree tomorrow.

Archived