Duration/Reintroduction Dilemma ?

Socalchezwick

So today is day 23. Feeling really good. I have noticed dry cracking skin cleared up. I have chronic sinus issues with headaches and have dropped all allergy meds and pain pills ( Clariton, Flonase, Afrin, Aleive ) on Day 10.  My belt  has shrunk buy at least 3 inches.

So here is my dilemma. My Whole30 will end in 6 days and 4 days after that we are leaving on an RV road trip to a family wedding and will be out for at least a weak to 10-14 days. 

1) What about cutting it short and trying some re intro now ? I already know that the answer is NO but I have had pleasing results and wonder if anyone has cut their plan short to try and re introduce early. 

2) another thought would be to stay on the plan and make it a whole45. I have no issue with compliant meals and miss nothing ( ok maybe pizza ) but I sense that avoiding a slip up might be tougher on the road and at a wedding or family gathering. 

3) One other possibility is to try for a whole45 but If I slip then treat that item as a re intro item and then get back on the plan. 

Anyone else ever face this same hurdle  ? 

• Moderators

It could definitely be hard to stay compliant at a wedding. I'm guessing since you'll be in an RV, you can fix your own food for most of your meals during the trip, which is helpful since you can ensure they are compliant. 

Maybe finish out your Whole30 and then do as many reintros as you can before the wedding? So, Whole30 ends, day 31 (before you leave) do either dairy or gluten. Days 32 & 33 back to Whole30. Day 34, do either dairy or gluten, whichever you didn't do before. I'd start with those because they're the ones you're most likely to be unable to avoid at the wedding. After that, do the best you can with your other reintroductions on the road, and hopefully by the time you get to the wedding you'll have some data to work with and will know if there's something you really, really want to avoid eating. 

The stay compliant until you have something that isn't option is a lot like the slow roll reintroduction:  https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/ -- that's a valid way to do it, but technically you're still supposed to only have one non-compliant item at a time, and so many foods are a combination of different things. For instance, even if you managed to keep your meal at the wedding compliant, and then decided to have some cake, you'd be having probably at least wheat and dairy, definitely sugar, and depending on the type of cake, possibly other items as well. 

Ultimately, you have to decide what works best for you. 

There are some past discussions about this type of thing, like these:  https://forum.whole30.com/topic/14756-starting-re-intro-early/https://forum.whole30.com/topic/41474-another-vacation-reintroduction-question/.

Archived