Laura’s Log

Nongermane

Breakfast- tomato and spinach frittata, watermelon and strawberry salad and chai tea

Lunch- chicken breastseared with clarified butter and 1/2 baked potatoe.

Dinner- apple cider slow cooked pulled pork, kale and carrot cole slaw with lemon vinaigrette dressing. 

Super full! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3- Ok... so let me be honest. I'm feeling pretty normal still. I was healthy beforehand, except for my nightly glass of wine and a cookie. I also ate a lot of dark chocolate, like 3 pieces at bed at night with my tea. Chocolate and wine man. So my pangs aren't anything overly physical but it's kind of sad. My wine and chocolate were how i celebrated and relaxed which probably says something pretty scary about how I relax and reward myself. I know Friday night will slightly suck because thats when I usually go out to dinner with my husband and get a fun dessert too. If you can't tell sugar is my jam. Speaking of jam... so delicious on toast. But anyway....

Normally, I run, bike, and swim throughout the week but i have a sinus infection AND bronchitis so I don't know how this will feel once I start to work out again Friday. But no sugar Dragon yet. Like, maybe a baby dragon. 

Breakfast: egg, tomato, spinach and left over pulled pork frittata. Cup of organic chai tea.

Lunch: Left over pulled pork and spaghetti squash

Dinner- stir fry broccoli and carrots, skinless boneless chicken thighs seasoned with chili powder, salt and pepper. Diced and roasted sweet potatoes seasoning with cinnamon and nutmeg. 

Peace and love to all of you. 

I’m on Day 4, and the morning came to a horrifying start. I over slept, so I had no time to get an actual decent breakfast in me. I’m a teacher, so if this would have happened a week ago I would have had a chocolate chip cliff bar in my desk and then my caffein fix would have been a cafe con leche from our schools cafeteria. I stayed in compliance but not having anything except an apple or my usual cup of chai was rough. 

I miss sugar. I’ve named my sugar dragon Lyssa, after the Greek goddess of anger. 

Lesson learned, get emergency Luna Bars in my desk at work stat. Keep a pitcher of unsweetened black tea in the fridge at work. 

Breakfast- 1 sad apple

Lunch- left over broccoli and carrots, diced sweet potatoes and chili chicken. 

After school Snack- I got a plain iced coffee and put a splash of unsweetened organic fancy pants compliant almond milk in it. I. Needed. Caffeine. And then a coconut Luna bar. 

Dinner- ground beef taco salad, with a homage taco seasoning dressed with tomatoes, onions, and lettuce... and then my big achievement... 

I MADE HOMEMADE MAYONAISE! I was pretty proud of myself. I made an avacado dressing with it for my taco salad. 

Ok, let’s hope my alarm goes off tomorrow morning. 

• Moderators

If I could make a suggestion, rather than stocking up on Luna bars or Larabars or other bars that are as close to a candy bar as you can get, try things like packets or cans  of tuna or chicken or olives, jerky, Epic bars (which are meat bars rather than fruit and nut bars -- there are other brands but those seem to be widely available in the US), packets of almonds or almond butter or other nuts or nut butters. Or try to keep things in the fridge at home that you can grab and take with you easily like hard boiled eggs or even keep some leftovers in easy-to-grab containers. From experience, it is amazing how often I had emergency food situations when my emergency food was Larabars, and how few I have when my emergency food is hard boiled eggs and olives -- not that they somehow don't happen, but when you know the emergency food you have is something sweet, somehow everything seems like an emergency. 

And if you do go with Luna bars, be sure you read all the ingredients -- that brand doesn't have as many compliant options as Larabars or RX Bars. 

I love everything you said! After the first week I’ve troubleshooted some pitfalls for myself to keep me in compliance so grocery shopping will be easier on Saturday. 

Also, I great news! I meant Larabar. Sorry for the typo! I think I was used to saying Luna...  I don’t know. I’m a hot mess express lately. 

Day 5- the day I’ve been dreading. On Friday I used to come  home, my husband picks up a pizza, we drink beer, listen to music, and chill with our daughter Gwen. 

Instead-

Breakfast- tomato, spinach, onion frittata and an apple. 

Iced black coffee

Lunch- left over taco salad from last night

Dinner- I made homemade ketchup!!! I’m beyond proud of myself. Roasted chicken breast, asian stir fry veggies, baked potato wedges.., dipped in my freaking homemade ketchup!!

I’m super thirsty. Like oddly thirsty. Is this normal? 

Peace and love to all! 

Day 6
First day back to running while on Whole 30. I’ve been battling bronchitis and a sinus infection this past week.  Normally, after my run, I reward myself with beer. I’m slightly started with how many times I reward myself with alcohol…

Breakfast- tomato, spinach frittata. Ice black coffee

Lunch- chicken salad with diced apples and my homemade mayonnaise and some leftover potato wedges from last night

Pre-workout Snack- Larabar
Ran four miles, drank so much water

Dinner- Ribs, slow cooked with apple cider and roasted sweet potato. 

I need to figure out this whole pre-work out snack situation. I used to eat peanut butter with a banana. I might go pick up some almond butter tomorrow. I’m trying to stay away from my consumption of Larabars. It just makes me want a milkshake. Also, I want a milkshake.

Also, today I kind of sucked at getting veggies. So, it’s my goal for tomorrow. 

Day 7, week 1 completed! 

I saw a chocolate cake on tv today. It was a moment. I’m slightly horrified now that I’m understanding how many times I reward myself with dessert and/or alcohol. 

Breakfast- left over taco beef frittata- it was delicious! 

Lunch- shredded chicken salad with diced apple, and carrots

dinner- taco salad, with an avacado mayonaise dressing 

I’m excited and anxious for week two! I have my meals planned and my sauces prepped. Especially since this week will be the start of my regular night runs. 

Tomorrow will be awkward. I have a family ministry meeting for my new church. I’ve never met the new leader and it’s at her house for pizza and drinks. I don’t want to be rude. I might just say I have dinner waiting at home and hope it doesn’t get awkward. If I knew her better I would feel more comfortable but I’ve literaly talked to her twice. Oh well. Here’s hoping. 

Day 8, week 2 starts.

Today was ok, I had a dream where I ate crackers and soda...  weird. 

Breakfast- frittata with some of the leftover taco meat, ice coffee with a splash of almond milk

Lunch- smashed sweet potato with blueberries and a spoon of almond butter

Prework out- some roasted carrots with nutmeg, cinamon, and all spice 

I didn’t really have a post work out since I ran right before dinner

Dinner- this was the BEST DINNER EVER! I made the buffalo sauce and slow cooked it with chicken , shredded the chicken, put it over half a sweet potatoe and drizzled the homemade ranch dressing. Holy guacamole- so wonderful. 

Ok, going to get some nice herbal tea and stretch. 5 mile run was a little bananas today. 

Day 9- I’m ok without sugar today- but I do feel like a large sandwich with bread is calling my name. 

Breakfast- half a sweet potato with blueberries and almons butter smashed into goodness, iced coffee with a splash of almond milk. 

Lunch- Leftover pulled buffalo chicken on top of shredded lettuce

Preworkout snack- apple and a scoop of almond butter

Then a casual 6 mile run.

Dinner- pulled pork with the homage tangy barbecue sauce, mixed Asian veggies, and the second half of my sweet potato.

Ill be real- I’m eating a lot more than I’m used to. But I’m training for a 15k and am STARVING all the time bc of the running. So, I think it’s working out.

11 hours ago, BatyaChavaGeee said:

I like the idea of these three things together. I may well steal it.

It’s delicious. I like warm breakfasts in bowl. Before this month of Whole 30 I used to do oatmeal multiple times a week. This gives me the same feeling of something warm in a bowl. 

Day 19, 1/3 finished!

I was at my favorite grocery store today- it’s this local organic store with this amazing bakery- but as we all know it’s not just about being compliant- we’re trying to change habits. So... passing up on fantastic technically compliant but trigger baked goods I picked up unsweetened coconut flakes for my coconut soup tomorrow. 

Breakfast- left over pulled pork frittata, ice coffee, splash of almond milk 

Lunch- chicken salad with homemade mayonaise, and chopped up apples

Dinner- left over buffalo chicken with half a sweet potato.

Then, the movies with a former student of mine. No movie snack, but I did come prepared with a mucky measured outnut and dried fruit mixture just in case I felt the need to snack so badly I ran to the concession stand. I actually didn’t feel that much of a pull toward popcorn. And only had a couple pieces of my dried pineapple/ I was craving a giant Diet Coke pretty bad, but drinking my carbonated water took the edge off. 

Peace an love party people. 

Day 11

The hardest part of Whole 30 for me is not the cravings exactly, but how clearly I self medicate with baked goods, dark chocolate, and wine. 

I had a bad day at work. One of the biggest “cravings” I’ve had wasn’t even a craving exactly. I just wanted to go home, eat some chocolate, have glass of wine with my sister and be sad. 

But, the chocolate and the wine won’t take care of the bad things in my day. I know all they do is give me momentary highs to push me past sad stuff. So, I didn’t eat a chocolate bar or those pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting, or the fantastic dry red in my cupboard.

breakfast- pulled pork frittatas- the last of my leftovers! Apple. Iced black coffee. 

lunch- shredded buffalo chicken with a dollop of homemade ranch.

prework out- apple with almond butter

Dinner- chicken coconut curry with cauliflower. 

Peace, love, and better days. 

Day 12

Fridays are hard. This is my second Friday where I didn’t chill with a beer and pizza. My husband and I were out shopping- dinner time came around. I didn’t trust myself to even try and go out to eat yet so we went home and I made burgers. Maybe next week with research I’ll brave a restaurant. 

Breakfast- buffalo chicken frittata, iced coffee black

Lunch- left over coconut curry chicken

Snack- I wasn’t getting dinner until like 10, and was starving. I had a handful of dried fruit and nuts to tide me over.

Dinner- lettuce bun, “bunless” hamburger with homemade mayonaise and ketchup. Baked potatoe wedges roasted with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Welp, I did it. My most difficult day. 

Peace and love to all of you.

9 hours ago, Nongermane said:

Day 12

Fridays are hard. This is my second Friday where I didn’t chill with a beer and pizza. My husband and I were out shopping- dinner time came around. I didn’t trust myself to even try and go out to eat yet so we went home and I made burgers. Maybe next week with research I’ll brave a restaurant. 

I'm terrified of the idea of restaurants, even with lots of research. When I pass one on the street I often think "Wow, there isn't a single thing I there I can eat. They probably don't even have Club Soda." I never noticed before how many pizza places here are everywhere.

Great job on getting over a hump day, Laura! It's encouraging to be a week behind you.

11 hours ago, BatyaChavaGeee said:

I'm terrified of the idea of restaurants, even with lots of research. When I pass one on the street I often think "Wow, there isn't a single thing I there I can eat. They probably don't even have Club Soda." I never noticed before how many pizza places here are everywhere.

Great job on getting over a hump day, Laura! It's encouraging to be a week behind you.

All of this! I’m in small town outside of Clearwater, Fl. The amount of local breweries and mini donut shops is overwhelming on the daily. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Day 13

So, I had to go into work today and proctor an ACT for my high school. I packed a lunch but it was woefully too small. Normally, I run at night, but I got a run in before I went to the test and just getting my exercise in at 6am made me so much hungrier. I had a plan, it fell through, thank god I had some extra fuel at school. 

Breakfast- ground bed frittata, iced black coffee. (Turned down donuts, and then proceeded to be awarded a work space right next to them.)

Lunch- in my rush of getting me and my baby out the door I forgot my lunch. And I was proctoring a test, so I couldn’t leave the classroom to hit up a grocery store. Desperate for food after my 7 mile run this morning, I found fruit leftover from this weeks breakfast in our teacher fridge, an RX bar, and two hard boiled eggs. I ate the bar, the eggs, and was still starving so I ate the apples and grapes too.

Im aware that this meal was too fruit heavy, especially with the RX bar. My original plan was left over shredded chicken, hard boiled eggs, over spinach.. but that fell through when I forgot it at home.  (I did turn down pizza though that promptly replaced the donuts after everyone was finished.)

snack- yeah I was shaking I was so hungry and the  idea of fruit and sugar made me sick after my lunch wasn't nearly large enough. I ate a cup of uncooked baby spinach leaves and walnuts. 

Dinner- made an onion, potatoe, and homemade sausage hash with a fried egg on top. It was the best meal ever after such a long day. 

Guys... tomorrow I go to Day 14. Holy fork. 

4 minutes ago, BatyaChavaGeee said:

Omg, what a nightmare! 

Our staff meetings always have a giant stack of pizza boxes and doughnuts. What kind of example is that for the children!?

Right? It was overwhelming. Especially since many of my students are already over weight. Doesn’t help. 

Day 14

One of the really fun things about doing Whole 30 right now is I’m starting to introduce veggies to my baby. This whole process has inspired me to look up recipies  and make my own baby food. 

Mostly though, today I felt FATIGUED. Like I just couldn’t stand. It probably has something to do with me being up a lot last night bc of Gwen and not whole 30- but who knows? 

Breakfast- sweet potato smashed with blueberries and almond nut butter.

Lunch- left over sausage and potato hash

Dinner- slow cooked roast beef with a cayenne pepper dry rub, left over potato wedges, a couple scoops of butternut squash. 

Ok, Must sleep. Week 3 starts tomorrow. Holy guacamole.

Day 15! Week 3!

I had one of my fastest runs tonight! 6 miles and was averaging a 8min 45sec pace. I felt super light, and not so bogged down. Maybe it’s my diet maybe it was my nap, either way  amazing. 

Breakfast- half a sweet potato mashed with blueberries and almond butter. Iced black coffee- I’m not ever leaving my coffee. 

Lunch- left over sausage and potato hash

preworkout- spoon of almond butter

Dinner- chicken soup with jalepenos, squash, and compliant bone broth. I made a ton. This will be my dinner almost all week- since this week is bananas.

Also, there might be a hurricane. So tonight I had my husband get me extra eggs, canned chicken, dried fruit and nuts, almond butter, and apples. Hopefully if the power goes out I won’t be tempted to eat chocolate cake. Must make sure husbands chocolate cake is away. 

I would like a pizza. But instead...

Breakfast- two egg frittata with roast beef

lunch- chicken salad, with homemade mayonaise, apples, cashews, tomatoes, and dried cranberries 

snack- handfull of walnuts and cashews, even on rest days my body is hungry from my long runs, so I’m not going to hate on myself for this snack. I’m averaging almost 7 miles 4 days a week along with weight lifting. So... I think this should be fine. 

Dinner- no time for the grocery store this week so I’m kind of scraping. I had a two egg roast beef frittata. I do have left over soup in the kitchen but I’m just not in the mood. 

Archived