Lactose-free Milk and honey vs. sweetener after Whole30

nauh

Hi all, Whole30 has been SO FUN. The only part that hasn't been fun? Missing my calming morning ritual of a strong cup of black tea (breakfast or Earl Grey) with milk and honey, or milk and Stevia. Yes, I know I can still drink tea. Yes I know I can drink coffee (and I have been, even though the taste is gd awful!) but I am getting close to reintro and the one thing I have craved more than anything else- even pizza- is my tea with milk and sweetener. Unsweetened black tea tastes like dirty leaf water- and tragically, non-dairy milks and creamers REALLY fail hard in tea. I have tried literally all of them. 

So I have two questions: a) has anyone decided to switch to lactose-free milk after a Whole30 and how did it go for you? and b) does anyone have suggestions for reintroducing sweetener? Also, I understand honey is natural and paleo, but god it's a lot of sugar! 17g for 1 tablespoon- that's a big sugar punch at the start of the day. Stevia (I used to use the Truvia packets) obviously has less sugar content, but are there things I don't know about it that can mess with gut health? How do you suggest I compare the two and decide which to use on a regular basis? Should I just stick with honey because it is more natural? 

Did anyone else seriously miss their black tea while on Whole30, or am I just crazy? I rolled my eyes every time I saw someone suggest "just drink it plain!". Yuck. In my opinion, you can get used to black coffee, but you can't get used to plain tea. It's a completely different drink!! 

• Moderators

If you have time to add a couple of extra reintroductions, you could do a day of stevia and a day of honey and see if you notice a difference in how you feel. Or, once you've done all your reintroductions, one day for breakfast have your tea made with milk (whichever kind you decide to use going forward) and honey, and another day have your tea made with milk and stevia. See how they both taste -- do you still like both equally or not? And see how they make you feel -- do you notice any particular physical effects from either, or does one leave you craving more sweets, or does one make you feel hungry all day after you have it in the morning?

Part of Food Freedom is going to be figuring out how this works for you going forward. Do you need that cup of tea every single morning? Maybe it's a once-a-week treat and you have something else most mornings -- whether that's coffee, or an herbal tea that you don't associate with the milk and honey ritual so you don't miss it as much, or something else entirely. 

• 4 weeks later...

I tried lactose free half n half (Organic Valley is the only brand I found that makes lactose free) and I did fine. I also did fine with honey. I haven't compared the lactose free with regular dairy, as I am taking my time in the reintroduction phase and am leaving regular dairy for last! I plan to also try lactose free yogurt, butter, and cheese; all from Organic Valley except not sure who makes the cheese. I'm not as excited about eating cheese again as I thought I would be, which is awesome because dairy is so mucus-forming. I plan to compare the cheeses allowed for my blood type (type O) first and then finally try some regular cheeses, but probably won't even try certain ones such as gorgonzola, etc.

Archived