Sleeping Better but More Tired in the AM

Beth Y.

This is my first Whole30 (and I am loving it!). Day 18 for me, and I am noticeably sleeping better. I used to be a terrible sleeper (probably due to too much wine before bed, let's be honest, and a lack of a before bed routine). I used to only remember dreaming maybe once or twice every one to two months. I am now dreaming almost every night, which I have read is a sign of getting into deeper sleep. My energy is eventually fine an hour or two after waking up, but when I wake up I AM SO TIRED. Like not sure how I will be able to get out of bed, exhausted. I am getting a solid 6-8 hours of sleep every night, probably averaging around 7 most nights. I usually fall asleep around midnight and wake up 7/7:30am. I was hoping I would be waking up with some energy, but it almost feels like I am hungover (without the alcohol of course) some mornings, at least when I initially wake. I guess I am confused as to why I am sleeping better, or seem to be based on how frequently I am dreaming and not tossing/turning/waking up in the middle of the night, but feeling so exhausted in the mornings... am I maybe making up for years of crap sleep? Is that a thing? Wondering if this can be explained/if others have experienced this/if I will eventually start waking up with more energy (I hope so!).

• Moderators

Maybe you should try going to bed earlier?  It could be that you need more sleep than you're getting or that your personal sleep time is 11-6/630 or something... 

Sleep banking IS a thing and it's possible that now that you're getting good sleep, your body is asking for more of the same to make up for a deficit from years gone by.  I would try getting to bed earlier and then either waking up at the same time or seeing if you're more alert if you wake up earlier in the morning.

Archived