Kombucha and Pregnancy?

Not according to this site, I'm afraid. http://kombuchatea.wordpress.com/faq/ There's a ton of info here but I don't personally know enough to be able to evaluate it's accuracy. however the first question is

is kombucha drink safe for preganant women.

Dave Says:October 23, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Hi Patience,

Kombucha Tea is NOT recommended for pregnant woman, as it contains caffeine. I would suggest drinking Rooibos Tea, as it has many of the health properties found in tea (not kombucha tea, but good ole' camellia sinensis, which all tea is derived from), but without the caffeine as Rooibos is derived from a South African Red Bush.

To learn more about Rooibos check out:

http://www.getkombucha.com/perohe.html

Shawn Says:March 20, 2012 at 9:25 am

Is caffeine the primary reason pregnant women shouldn't drink kombucha? I'm not pregers, but we used decaf black tea to make it. Would this be suitable for pregnant women?

• Anonymous Says:April 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    The chemical constituents in KT cause toxins in your body to be mobilized and pushed through the liver for the most part. This includes things like heavy metals and the like that have built up in our bodies through environmental exposures over the years. These are things you do NOT want to be inundating a fetus with.

• Beware Says:April 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm
    IT CONTAINS ALCOHOL! Trace amounts, but prob enough to do some damage to a fetus. Stay away!

1) naturally fermented foods like kombucha and water kefir have about 1% abv. The equivalent to some overly ripe fruit. Your baby is fine.

2) naturally fermented foods contain probiotics and this is very important for pregant women, and your gut health gets passed on the baby

3) if caffeine is an issue, switch to water kefir or beet kvass

Archived