Easy post-workout snack for high school athlete?

KHT

My 15-year-old daughter really wanted to do Whole30 with me..... she's a rower and she started a week ago and has already commented that she feels less pain during hard workouts and less sore the day after. Really interesting...... 

She is feeling challenged by what to eat before and after her rowing workouts (not meals). She has lunch around noon and rows/exercises from 4-6:30 or 7 and doesn't get dinner until 7 or 7:30. She has always needed a pre- and post-workout snack, but usually relied on bars. Granted they were lower-sugar bars (She likes the KIND bars), but not Whole30 compliant. The past week she's had a Lara bar before her workout and some nuts or seeds or beef jerky afterward. She doesn't like the Whole30 compliant beef jerky. 

Any other post-workout ideas that are portable and easy? A hard boiled egg or leftover meat and sweet potato would be great, but that's not something she's gonna eat in someone's car on the way home from crew.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KHT said:

My 15-year-old daughter really wanted to do Whole30 with me..... she's a rower and she started a week ago and has already commented that she feels less pain during hard workouts and less sore the day after. Really interesting...... 

She is feeling challenged by what to eat before and after her rowing workouts (not meals). She has lunch around noon and rows/exercises from 4-6:30 or 7 and doesn't get dinner until 7 or 7:30. She has always needed a pre- and post-workout snack, but usually relied on bars. Granted they were lower-sugar bars (She likes the KIND bars), but not Whole30 compliant. The past week she's had a Lara bar before her workout and some nuts or seeds or beef jerky afterward. She doesn't like the Whole30 compliant beef jerky. 

Any other post-workout ideas that are portable and easy? A hard boiled egg or leftover meat and sweet potato would be great, but that's not something she's gonna eat in someone's car on the way home from crew.

Can she eat that protein and sweet potato right afterwards while they are getting changed and before she gets into the car? The fat in the nuts inhibits the process of protein synthesis. If she can make it work, protein and fat before and lean protein and starchy veggie after. It's not much, just a few bites of each so she should be able to find a couple minutes to get that down right before/after.

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Can she eat that protein and sweet potato right afterwards while they are getting changed and before she gets into the car? The fat in the nuts inhibits the process of protein synthesis. If she can make it work, protein and fat before and lean protein and starchy veggie after. It's not much, just a few bites of each so she should be able to find a couple minutes to get that down right before/after.

That might work. I just wonder what to give her for that protein.... she goes straight from school to crew and so it has to be something portable and easy. I suppose some cut-up chicken with a small ice pack or a piece of compliant lunch meat would work.....

My local Costco carries a brand called True Story that has packages of peppered chicken breast chunks, as well as snack packs of compliant deli turkey slices. For post-workout, you could easily cube and season some sweet potato and put it in a small bag with a few chunks of the peppered chicken breast or a packet of the turkey slices. Include a frozen water bottle to help keep it cold in her backpack/duffel bag and voila! Just eat a few bites of each straight out of the bag! 

If you can't find the product, you can just make and cube some chicken breast yourself and do the same thing. 

Archived