Swamp Yankee October 2018 and onwards

Swamp Yankee

I am working on a Whole30 for October to most definitely include reintroduction.

On Friday, I was put onto high blood pressure medicine, which all agree is due to my weight and eating habits.

Day One

Weigh In 215.4 - not my highest but pretty high

Breakfast - sweet potato and scrambled eggs, ghee, lots of water and almonds for crunch.

Lunch - green beans, pork roast and ranch dressing.  Iced decaf coffee, I happen to like it as is, so not a problem with add ons.

Dinner - left over steak, salad with ranch and avocado and a potato. 

Energy is pretty good so far, though I have a headache which I attribute to Monday not Whole30.

Day Two

I got to the gym and did work out, though it was moderate and not my usual intensive weight training.  Lots of ab work.

Breakfast - bacon, egg, potato and spinach, one of my favorite combinations.  if I had a tomato I would have been thrilled.

Lunch - chicken thigh, guacamole with celery and cucumbers

Dinner - stir fry of left over steak and broccoli.  I will also prep the cauliflower and I have enough time to make some caulirice. 

I got to bed early and slept well.  My left shoulder is aching from my bag, too heavy, I need to work on getting something better to carry around after I get new sneakers, all of mine are giving up at one time.

Day Three

Breakfast - egg, potato, bacon and spinach, yum

Lunch - chicken salad, one of my favorite meals in rotation at the moment, cucumbers and guacamole

Dinner - left over pork chop with chopped apple, broccoli and sesame oil, sweet potato

I made the caulirice, it was ok, I need to keep it in larger pieces.  I also had an apple, I was still hungry after dinner.

skipped the gym, my goal is 4 days a week, and as this is the first week back on track, though only day 3, I am not pushing too much.

yesterday I did not meet my step goal, part of it was the weather, rainy and cold, time to get the fall weather gear out of storage.

good sleep.

8 hours ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Day Three

Breakfast - egg, potato, bacon and spinach, yum

Lunch - chicken salad, one of my favorite meals in rotation at the moment, cucumbers and guacamole

Dinner - left over pork chop with chopped apple, broccoli and sesame oil, sweet potato

I made the caulirice, it was ok, I need to keep it in larger pieces.  I also had an apple, I was still hungry after dinner.

skipped the gym, my goal is 4 days a week, and as this is the first week back on track, though only day 3, I am not pushing too much.

yesterday I did not meet my step goal, part of it was the weather, rainy and cold, time to get the fall weather gear out of storage.

good sleep.

I skipped the gym too. Boo. I used a crazy week at work and cooking as an excuse. Let's neither of us do that anymore. :-) 

Day Four

Breakfast - egg, bacon, potato, chopped apple - check

Lunch - work lunch - grilled squid over salad with olive oil and vinegar, finished with a decaf espresso - points for me - no bread, no butter, no flan, it was great. - check

Dinner - leftovers - chicken, carrots and spinach.

As for the workout - terrible sleep last night, so no work out this morning.  I did make my step goal of 12,000 steps yesterday which is my minimum exercise quota.

Half way to my goal today, and I have an opening tonight to see a new sculpture + art installation, lots of walking involved.

I head off for a three day weekend, I am putting together my GoBag, to make sure I can make good choices.  My quirk is that I can do fine during the "stress" event, i.e., the road trip, or reception or whatever, my downfall is usually the aftermath.  so tomorrow, before we leave on Saturday, I am going to stock up and be prepared for Tuesday as I have a work meeting that night. 

Breakfast - eggs and red peppers

Lunch - tuna salad with capers, olives and celery

Dinner - Chicken thigh with buffalo sauce.

I made a trip to Trader Joe's to get some Whole30 foods to keep on track.  also got some tea and odds and ends for my partner, he isn't on Whole30 but LOVES the trail mix.  We head out early in the morning and we are not taking the laptops to minimize the online time and to have more facetime.  LOL

I also signed up for a Pumpkin Spice massage at my club for Wednesday, that should keep me forcused when I come home.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 15

I have been off line but on track and on Whole30 100%.  the best part is that I was able to stay on track for the entire three day weekend to Vermont, eating out and getting some exercise even with the lousy weather, it was cold and dreary.

we found a Farm to Table restaurant, beets for a salad, lamb burger with the bun replaced with sautéed kale, they were happy to accommodate me.  And roasted potatoes.  it was fabulous and quite festive.

Breakfast - eggs, bacon and squash for my post workout this morning. 

Lunch - left over pork roast, with roasted plum to put on the pork, roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts. 

My water intake has been good, and it helps a lot I think as does eating enough protein.

Next weekend we are off again to DD's Family weekend at college, I have been there for the past three years and know I can stay on track.  (we did have one mishap, my chicken got left in the cooler along with my other go to food items and had to be tossed, won't make that mistake again)

BTW - the pumpkin spice massage was fantastic, I used it as my focus during the weekend a couple of times when I thought I might like to have.....  Totally worked for me. 

Really feeling good today, in spite of the BP meds, we are all optimistic that once I lose some weight or even just get rid of the sugar, I can come off of them.

Breakfast is naturally including greens - eggs, bacon and spinach, broccoli or even left over brussel sprouts.  Very satisfying.   and black tea.

Lunch today is more leftover pork roast, broccoli and cauliflower with amino acids and sesame oil (hot) drizzled over it.  ( I hate reheated meat)

Dinner - not sure, stopping at the market on the way home since I have the luxury of time after my Thai stretching session, 90 minutes of working the muscles, delightful.

Planning on a Friday luncheon I am hosting for a friend's birthday, lamb chops (YUM), green beans in roasted tomatoes, I can make rice or something for her as well as a very very nice pastry from the bakery.  Last year I bought an éclair, about 3 inches long, she said it was the best as it was guilt free for her.  I can get just one and truth, makes no difference to me, I just settle in with my tea. 

then we are off to Parent's weekend for DD.  this is trickier, we couldn't get into our usual hotel as we left the reservation to too late, which means I need to continue my research of where I can eat well.  we will have the cooler and a fridge in the room, so I have the usual things, guacamole, cut up veggies, some cooked chicken, off the hard boiled eggs at the moment, though I am eating them every other way. I'll be finishing week 3  and am feeling solid in the plan.  Also want to schedule my "on the other side" of the challenge to look forward to, the last time it was a massage.....

Because we head out for the weekend, I am eating up everything in the fridge that isn't sealed up.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with leftover sweet potato fries

Lunch - last of the pork roast, last of the brussel sprouts, last of the carrots

Dinner - taco Thursday, is that a thing?  anyway, my taco filling goes over an avocado.

Tomorrow, I am cooking for a good friend, and as she lives alone, ALL leftovers leave with her.  Yeah.

Feeling pretty good.  last training session tomorrow morning, I am cutting back on the private training expense for a while, she surprised me with a free session next week.  Really nice of her. 

Speaking of money, lots of people complain about the cost of Whole30, but overall, I find I am so much more careful about what we buy.  There is way lots less to toss out, I use leftovers all the time for breakfast and lunch, and the variety is better.  I am able to shop locally and at the farmer's markets (lucky there is one at least every day of the week).  And part of it is we are in roasted vegetable season, so that makes life easier as well.  If only I could get my husband to like fish more.  I do NOT to buy Cheetos, $4 per bag, ice cream $4 per 1.75 gallon, crackers, cheese, milk (which I hate anyway), and no processed food. 

So far so good on Day 18.  Not sure I have the Tiger Blood but feeling fine except for the workouts, which I am hitting hard, 40 minutes every day so far this week at a minimum. 

I am doing better with Whole30 than with posting.  I had another successful weekend away from home, eating some good meals, though we went to a Greek restaurant with no lamb (!)  I will be making some lamb meatballs from a recipe I found online.  

Day 24 and doing well, and for the first time, I have had sugar cravings, why today?  I will review my food from yesterday and see if there was something that had sugar or was sweet. I had only a banana at breakfast along with eggs and zucchini, lunch was a burger and salad and dinner was chicken roasted with pixie dust and a sweet potato and sprouts.  Curious.  I have been able to deal with it, just curious. 

Good solid weekend, and I am going to extend my 30 days, because I have not made the time to set my plan for reintroduction.  So I will stay the course until I can sort out my plan Thursday evening and then start next Saturday. 

Feeling pretty good.  I used my Instapot this weekend, lamb stew took 45 minutes, really nice.  too bad I left it in the fridge, so I have to go out for lunch. 

Breakfast needs to be pumped up more, the bacon and eggs need more and I missed the avocado I had too.  Too much going on maybe. 

Dinner is left over pork tenderloin and butternut squash soup made with ghee.  it is really good and the biggest advantage for me is I can set the Instapot and do something else rather than monitoring the soup pot on the stove. 

I can hardly wait to try beans on my reintroduction.

PS while we are not meant to monitor our weight loss, I did go clothes shopping on Sunday, down a size on top and a size on the bottom.  Someday I may be out of women's sizes.

Breakfast - bacon and eggs, and apple

Lunch - left over lamb stew, still delicious

Dinner - butternut soup with left over pork tenderloin.

I did a ton of walking today, and am hungry, really hungry, hungry enough to have some cashews and be happy. 

tomorrow should be the weigh in, and I may or may not do it, depending on late I need to work this evening.  Pushing the water is making me feel better overall..

BP is all over but that is the office

Whole30 in the bag.  I do feel good and think I have gotten to a point where I can deal with any mindless eating situations, choosing to have something because I want it not because it is in front of me.  Also, I feel like the coffee and pastry combination has gone, I like coffee black so that has been making skipping the pastry easier. 

tomorrow evening I will work on my Re-Introduction strategy, so I am still on Whole30+, is that a thing. 

October Whole30 - down a total of 8 pounds which is great.  I dropped the clothing sizes, tops and bottoms and expect that most of what I lost was fat since I work out pretty heavy.

I put together some ongoing reintroduction, but overall have decided to make this a Whole100 - this lines up with my next physical. 

I am going to see how half and half works in my coffee, but can leave it as well.  Not a big fan of the nutpods.

doing fine with baked potato and ghee without sour cream.

doing fine with homemade potato chips without California dip.

no desire for any of the ice cream in the fridge - the only thing I did miss was the local creamery, real ice cream made with local fruit.  I had some at the beginning of the summer and was able to reduce down to the kiddie scoop size and be happy with the taste, but the stuff from the supermarket has no appeal.

My November goals are to get to the gym 4 days a week.

My November goals are to continue to think before I eat.  I am really happy that I no longer have to have something at 10:00 in the morning.

My November goals are to continue to up the water intake, not rely on tea and coffee for fluids.

We are cooking Thanksgiving at home and DD will be home from college, we will plan and bake and workout for the 6 days she is home, and I am looking forward to a family focused rather than food focused holiday.

Tonight I am roasting sliced brussel sprouts in duck fat, and maybe some pork chops if I can find something I like to grill.  and one of the great apples that are around this time of year. 

Hit the gym this morning and specifically the treadmill for interval training.  Not too bad half hour given I have been away from it since last Spring.  Not a fan, but I think it is important for my cardio.

Forgot to have my spinach with my bacon, eggs and potato, I love the combination but I think I am distracted by the contracting starting work sometime this week.  Fingers crossed for no rain. 

A friend brought over some home grown shallots from his garden, Shoemaker chicken is in my future, reminds me of my mom and it is so good.  Chicken, rosemary, shallots, and mushrooms.  I am on the lookout for Rock Cornish Game hens which is the best I think. 

Also the weather must be turning, I want roasted duck. 

Lunch is leftover sausage, potato, carrot and cabbage.  Food is on track, no interest in the left over candy, or DH's ice cream in the freezer.  Coffee with half and half or just black is still my preference.  I think I forgot how much sugar and cream I was using. 

I'll weigh myself December 1st, after the next 30 days.  I am thinking about Thanksgiving and wondering if it is at our house, I can really do some fun things. 

DH announced he has to lose 10 pounds, big deal, he will just start riding his bicycle and lose that in about two weeks.  No, I don't hate him.

• 2 weeks later...

after a weekend of not so Whole30 choices, I am back on Whole30 until Thanksgiving.  I am liking this plan so far.  The weekend was not outrageous, it did include some Vietnamese food, not sure of everything in the noodle soup, and there were noodles, wonderful warm broth, fish, sweet basil and shrimp.  One interesting thing is that I had hoped there would be more vegetables in the soup. 

Breakfast - egg, bacon, potato and spinach

Lunch - ham, home made potato salad (I know lots of potatoes) and carrots

Dinner - not sure, I had an orange which I really enjoyed. 

Archived