Starting October 8th!

Lolowally

Hi All! 

I have heard about the Whole30 many times in the past and never thought it was for me. I do need to lose some weight but I don't love the idea of a restrictive diet for weight loss. What happened is that I saw a doctor for my chronic sinus infections, and they told me they think it could be a food allergy. My chronic sinus infections have been making exercise and mothering my son difficult. If I can feel renewed and healthy that would be amazing! I am committing to this whole30 on October 8! 

Looking forward to being part of this community! 

-Lauren

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lauren,

I'm starting tomorrow, too.  I did a Whole30 about 4 years ago and felt great by the end of it.  It was definitely challenging, especially breakfast because I don't often have time to cook in the morning so I had to really plan to grab and go.  I had a lot of aches and pains which went away and my seasonal allergies were also better.  I lost 18 lbs and a bunch of inches which was really motivating.  Unfortunately since then I've allowed my poor eating habits to derail me and I'm back up to a weight that I'm really not comfortable with, along with the aches and pains and other side effects of that.  So I'm back to the Whole30.  Maybe some others will join us and we can support each other over the next month.

Cheers,

Ellen

23 minutes ago, eclaire said:

"I'm starting tomorrow, too."

Ellen! That's awesome. Maybe we can stay connected and support each other through this journey. I'm starting to get really nervous about starting tomorrow, but I am so looking forward to feeling better. I have been waking up in the morning feeling almost sick and stuffy every day (but i'm not sick). I am desperately hoping this helps, as i've seen countless doctors and they can't really figure out what's going on with me. The weight loss will be an added bonus if that happens for me, but honestly if my overall feeling of illness is reduced I will be ecstatic. I look forward to staying in touch and hearing how your journey is going!! Good luck! I'm also using realplans (i've actually been using them on and off for a year but not for whole30) so I am hoping that will help a bunch!

Best of luck! 

-Lauren

Hello all! I too am starting Monday October 8 (that's tomorrow!). This will be my 3rd Whole 30. I'm struggling with GERD and need to heal my esophagus so I figured that this would be a good test to see  if eliminating these common inflammatory foods will help with this. My last year of university teaching really took a toll on my overall health so I think doing this will also help me put the focus back on how food can support--and not hinder--my health and vitality. I'm also on a long, slow endeavor to lose weight and I know Whole30 might help with that. If it does, great. If not, I know I'll see other benefits. 

I won't be the one with the great new recipes. I'm a lazy cook on Whole30, relying on grilled meats and fish and egg dishes with spices and herbs, supplemented by roasted or steamed vegetables and fruit. But I am expert in making mayo (a necessity for me) and clarified butter/ghee (also a necessity; I prefer it on the buttery clarified side not the browned ghee side). I've already made my mayo and clarified butter today so I'm ready for tomorrow! I also have my compliant lemon juice, Dijon mustard and catsup on hand, as well as a selection of meat and fish and vegetables.

My biggest caution, having done this before, it to make sure you do the "reading labels" part of the Whole30. Sugar is everywhere! And soy and wine and sulfites can sneak in as well. 

Good luck to everyone!

Liz

I am starting again tomorrow as well. I have most of my food prepped. For some reason I can't seem to get turkey cooked all the way. After the 2nd time in the oven I finally just cut it up and finished it off in my bone broth. Weird thing is I hI ave a thermometer and it said on both occasions it was done. I thought I made sure it wasn't near the bone. Oh well. I made some sautéed cabbage, kale, & brussel sprouts; artichokes, roasted mushrooms and parsnips. I have bad allergies, pain, itchy skin, gastritis, among other things. See you all tomorrow.

I'm starting tomorrow as well! This will be my first round and I'm very excited. I recently moved to a large city and don't have a car anymore. Being much more active has definitely helped me avoid gaining weight, but all of the junk I've been eating hasn't helped me lose any, and I still feel very gross. I'm working from home tomorrow because of the holiday so I'll actually be prepping for the week tomorrow as well as eating the first batch of everything. I bought the Whole30 Cookbook at the store today and have The Whole30 book coming in the mail on Tuesday. 

53 minutes ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Made it without going out to fast food this morning.  YAY ME!! I hope you all have a great day

Hooray indeed! "One meal at a time . . . ."

After breakfast I found myself thinking, one meal down, 89 to go . . . . :)

So I made it through Day 1. My stomach was a little cranky today. I also got very tired and could have gone to bed at 4. I had a light headache on and off. I don't think I ate enough food today. I do feel better now and stomach isn't upset. I am disappointed with my veggie recipe I tried. It tanked. The brussel sprouts taste bad. I will try it again tomorrow and if it is the same I will throw away. I have more kale I can sauté up. Turkey meatloaf is a little herby so next time I will need to back off on them. Dinner pretty much was a bust. Then again I am really not feeling like I am wanting to eat. I have my bone broth ready for tomorrow so we will see. Big win is that I didn't cave and have fast food. I also didn't have any of the candies at the Drs. office. 

This cough I have from an acute allergy attack is just hanging in there. It is starting to bug me.

How did everyone else do? @ArtFossil you are too funny.

Welcome @Chik0929  

Good morning all. Hope you have a great day 2.

Yay another day no fast food.

Last night was rough. I had a sore throat, massive hot flashes all night, and just generally could not stay asleep. I basically dozed on and off from 2 AM on until I finally got up at 6 AM. I am feeling better though this morning. I gargled with some salt water upon wake up. 

I did make myself a breakfast of three Friday eggs, one our artichoke, and some roasted parsnips. My fat was the butter that I use to dip the artichoke and eat it. Only got through about half and then I was done. So I’ll save the other half for later when I get hungry again. Lunch, if it defrosts fast enough, I was going to roast some swordfish. I will have to go back shopping again because I cannot stomach that veggie dish that I made that was awful last night. So I’m going to go pick up some broccoli and maybe a few other things.

23 minutes ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Welcome @Chik0929  

Good morning all. Hope you have a great day 2.

Yay another day no fast food.

Last night was rough. I had a sore throat, massive hot flashes all night, and just generally could not stay asleep. I basically dozed on and off from 2 AM on until I finally got up at 6 AM. I am feeling better though this morning. I gargled with some salt water upon wake up. 

I did make myself a breakfast of three Friday eggs, one our artichoke, and some roasted parsnips. My fat was the butter that I use to dip the artichoke and eat it. Only got through about half and then I was done. So I’ll save the other half for later when I get hungry again. Lunch, if it defrosts fast enough, I was going to roast some swordfish. I will have to go back shopping again because I cannot stomach that veggie dish that I made that was awful last night. So I’m going to go pick up some broccoli and maybe a few other things.

I just realized I said butter which is incorrect. It was ghee that I had made. Sorry for posting a noncompliant food. When I realized it it was too late to edt. 

Hello @Chik0929 and welcome! I had Grave's disease but my thyroid has been stable (with thyroid medication and smart doctors) for a long time.

@Elizabeth33 you've really been through the wringer! I hope you can erase the memory of the failed veggie dish and that you get some resolution for your sinus issues.

I'm dealing with sleep issues (long story) and "overslept" this morning so started off with my meal schedule out of whack. Fortunately I had last nights dinner leftovers (pork chops, sweet potato, spinach).  And Hurricane Michael is on its way today (I'm in St Pete). I'm going to grill some frozen salmon filets as they are the most expensive thing in the freezer if the power goes off.

I do realize that one of the main things I want to accomplish is to get my meals/hunger back on a three meals a day schedule. I'm currently experiencing the "eat a meal/feel satisfied/feel hungry one hour later" syndrome and I really want that to even out.

Eating more has definitely helped me for today. I feel much better than yesterday. It was a very stressful day which is one of my triggers. Thankfully I was able to distract myself and it passed. I shopped more and got the veggies to replace the ones that I threw out. I made a yummy cole slaw and broccoli. Something feasted on my last night so I am very itchy today. I have several spots. I have to find out what finds me so yummy. 

Food

B - 3 fried eggs, 1 artichoke, parsnips. (I only ate 1/2 of it)

L - Dill sword fish, broccoli and cole slaw with poppy seed dressing (home made)

SN - 2 oz protien and some veggies

D - Turkey burger with mango guacamole wrap, mixed greens with vinaigrette, sweet potato mash

I have to teach my body not to eat before bed. At night I get the munchies. I also sometimes get hungry in the middle of the night. I will see how it goes. Early this morning (3am) I needed a little to eat because I was hungry and couldn't fall back to sleep. I had some celery with almond butter. I am hoping to transition out of that.

Ok it is official. I have definitely hit day 3. I feel like crap this morning. I am nauseous, tired, and cranky. Of course not being able to go to sleep didn't help matters. I got 4 1/2 to 5 hours last night which was broken up with waking up several times. Finally after 2 hours of not falling asleep I did have a small snack of protein and I was able to fall asleep. I will be very excited when I don't have to do that. I am starting the day off with some bone broth and then figuring out what I want to eat for breakfast. I hope all of you are doing well. Let me know how it is going.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Ok it is official. I have definitely hit day 3. I feel like crap this morning. I am nauseous, tired, and cranky. Of course not being able to go to sleep didn't help matters. I got 4 1/2 to 5 hours last night which was broken up with waking up several times. Finally after 2 hours of not falling asleep I did have a small snack of protein and I was able to fall asleep. I will be very excited when I don't have to do that. I am starting the day off with some bone broth and then figuring out what I want to eat for breakfast. I hope all of you are doing well. Let me know how it is going.

I feel for you. You're going through the Whole30 wringer!

It's day 3? It feels like . . . day 60 . . . . It's a GOOD thing for time not to rush by, I guess, but the hours between Meal 2 and Meal 3 go so SLOWLY. 

All I can say on day 3 is that I'm definitely "in touch with my hunger." :D In spite of eating huge meals. I realize that I want to be able to sustain this structure of three meals AND eating vegetables with breakfast so that my energy is more balanced during the day.

Hurricane Michael is passing us by and the light is a strange yellow. I survived a postseason loss by my baseball team without wine. That's all I've got. 

Day 2 for me. And I feel you @ArtFossil on the hunger. I feel it most between meal one and two. I only had two eggs this morning left by my brother and his family. So tomorrow I will try adding an extra egg and some healthy fat in the form of avocado to maintain my fullness and energy without resorting to carby sweet potatoes. 

Overall, Day one rocked! We did hill sprints with my running group and I felt strong and didn't have any GI issues. for my preworkout snack I had an avocado deviled egg. It did the trick for sure. I got the energy boost without my stomach going haywire. 

Today, I am feeling some of the hangover stuff. Headachy. But it could be my allergies. My eyes are BURNING and I'm sneezing up a storm. 

One side effect I wasn't expecting, but really should have with how bloated I've been, I am peeing a ton. all day long. But that's a good thing. Flush out all that nasty crap. 

Right now I'm sipping my green tea with vital proteins collagen. Yum! And I swear it's what helps my hair! 

2 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Stay Strong Elizabeth! You are rocking it. Get through this phase and dream of the TIGER BLOOD! haha

If you guys are truely hungry between meals and you feel you can eat something your not fond of, the book talks about fish etc, then eat. It is not uncommon  for the 1st week to have mini meals or snack while transitioning. I definitely felt the difference in energy and feeling bad when I didn’t eat enough for the day. Just a thought anyway. 

We got this. 

Day 3 complete and what a day. Really pissed off a client/friend. Luckily his boyfriend is able to calm him down after a while. One of these days it would be great to not work for crazy people but until then... Very proud of myself for staying compliant. Although I did get into a bag of pistachios and ate too many. I was really craving my other clients cookies. Didn't want them cooked just raw and also chocolate. I felt like I was really pmsing but I haven't had that happy visitor in 5 years. Wanted to cry several times yesterday. Lovely detox. At least the on and off headaches are gone. I am also noticing that I am not as bloated as before. I just wish the trips to the bathroom were less at night.

Food

B - left over turkey burger, broccoli, and sweet potato

L - Turkey thigh, arugula salade w/ pomegranate seed, and pistachios, and vinaigrette

Sn - beef epic bar, carrots, & celery with almond butter

D - left over swordfish, mango salsa (no onions, or peppers), broccoli, left over cole slaw

Sn - celery and pistachios

Looking at this I realize I ate way too many nuts as a fat. I will need to do it differently today.

I slept better last night thankfully. I am feeling a little better today and not as emotional. 

1 hour ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Day 3 complete and what a day. Really pissed off a client/friend. Luckily his boyfriend is able to calm him down after a while. One of these days it would be great to not work for crazy people but until then... Very proud of myself for staying compliant. Although I did get into a bag of pistachios and ate too many. I was really craving my other clients cookies. Didn't want them cooked just raw and also chocolate. I felt like I was really pmsing but I haven't had that happy visitor in 5 years. Wanted to cry several times yesterday. Lovely detox. At least the on and off headaches are gone. I am also noticing that I am not as bloated as before. I just wish the trips to the bathroom were less at night.

Food

B - left over turkey burger, broccoli, and sweet potato

L - Turkey thigh, arugula salade w/ pomegranate seed, and pistachios, and vinaigrette

Sn - beef epic bar, carrots, & celery with almond butter

D - left over swordfish, mango salsa (no onions, or peppers), broccoli, left over cole slaw

Sn - celery and pistachios

Looking at this I realize I ate way too many nuts as a fat. I will need to do it differently today.

I slept better last night thankfully. I am feeling a little better today and not as emotional. 

I would say you had a triumphant day!

I hear you on the trips to the bathroom. But, I am drinking water. Disclosure: I did not drink water. Just didn't. Now, I do but only because I hooked myself up with a bluetooth water bottle that monitors how much I drink! Turns out I'm competitive and I want to meet that daily goal. If nothing else happens these 30 days, drinking water is going to help with a lot of things.

This is Day 4 and I'm wondering if I'll wear out my George Forman grill . . . . When I start to think my meals might be becoming monotonous, I think of @kirkor and his Monomeal Mania Whole 30: 30 days of ground beef, zucchini and coconut oil, if I remember correctly. 

I'm grateful I wasn't in Hurricane Michael's path and that I can go to the store for fruit today. 

TMI: My bowels just had a rebellion and then I got a massive headache. So yeah. Day 3 is.... going. Food tastes great, but maybe upping the fat for the first meal was the best idea. Or my body is just reacting to the higher fiber in all the extra veggies. I'll see how I'm feeling in a few days. And I'll adjust accordingly. 

Feeling less hungry though!

Archived