Coconut Milk upsets our stomachs

PsVolz

Has anyone else had issues with coconut milk?

This is the second recipe I’ve made with 1 cup of coconut milk in it and my husband, son and I have all had stomach issues right after eating dinner. Bubbling gas and going to the bathroom several times. 

I have had my gallbladder removed many years ago so I thought that was maybe why I couldn’t tolerate it but neither could my son or husband. 

I think this is an ingredient we are going to have to avoid. 

• Administrators

Yep, that can happen in some people. No problem to just avoid coconut milk. Odd that it would be all three of you though. If you're unsure, stay off of it for a few days and then try it again. If the same thing happens, then you know!

22 hours ago, Gudrun said:

Was it canned coconut milk?

I react to canned only. Someone told me that it could be a reaction to the coating on the inside of the can. I now only use packaged and stomach is just fine! Worth a try.

It was canned. It does freak me out when I refrigerate a can to use the coconut cream and it’s always has a grey tint to it. 

7 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

If you all three reacted to it, it sounds like there was something in the meal that was a bit "off". Coconut milk does spoil, so maybe it had actually just gone bad. 

It was a new can. Plus since it happened with 2 different meals at different times I’m thinking we must be sensitive to it. 

I made the Whole30 Butter Chicken and Salmon in a mushroom cream sauce 

A new can doesn't automatically mean there couldn't have been something wrong with it. I also have always been under the impression that you're not really supposed to put canned foods in the fridge in the can. 

Maybe try a different brand, cartoned, not from the fridge and see how you feel. 

Archived