Sugar in my coffee

Hello All -- I am winding up my Whole30 with no slips except for one Lara Bar a day and perhaps a bit too much cashew butter so I don't think weight loss is going to factor too large in my results. But I am thrilled I haven't had any alcohol or refined sugar throughout (a big change for me). Truthfully I don't miss the alcohol or the pastries and ice cream as much as I thought I would, but I do miss having a little sweetness in my morning coffee. In my reintroduction I'd like to add some sweetness to my coffee and I'd love to know which sugar is least damaging and most recommended? Is coconut sugar a better choice? All thoughts appreciated. Best, Shannon

• Moderators

The position of Whole30 is that sugar is sugar is sugar. Doesn't matter whether it's honey or white sugar or coconut sugar or maple syrup, it's all sugar, so we don't make recommendations about what you should use.

Once you've done all your reintroductions and you're living your food freedom, you could try different sugars and see which ones taste best to you, if any of them seem to leave you more prone to craving more, if there are ones you can use less of to get the same sweetness you're looking for, or if any of them just leave you feeling less than great after you have them, and then you could decide which one you prefer to have regularly from there. You should also continue to pay attention over time to make sure the amount you're using doesn't start creeping up (either by using more in one cup of coffee, or because you find yourself drinking more coffee throughout the day). You might also notice that you have more cravings for sweets over time, or that you just generally aren't feeling as good as you were after Whole30. If you notice anything like that, you'd want to rethink what you're doing to determine if it's still worth it to you. 

Have you tried any of the Nut Pod creamers? There really really good and take the edge off of black coffee. I believe most if not all flavors are whole30 approved to so that might be something you could do instead of sugar if you liked it? I looove the Nut Pod Pumpkin Spice.

Archived