Whole90 instead of reintroduction (yet) - any advice?

I did the September Whole30 which was quite an eye opener - so many NSV! Especially my sleep quality has drastically improved, my mood was better, and my energy stayed constant. My psoriasis symptoms slightly improved. I lost 6 lbs which I am happy about. I started reintroduction with a glass red wine and because of that I had a second glass and then I binged chocolate. Quite a learning experience! I went back to Whole30 for three days and then did the reintro with only one glass of wine (I learned something here) which went fine. However, my sleep quality is not as good, my energy fluctuates. I am back to Whole30 since and today is the first day I feel “Whole30-good” again.

Now I am wondering if I should extend my Whole30 to 90 days to allow my body more time to heal. I have lost another 3 lbs since and psoriasis symptoms seem to improve gradually.  I am ok with cravings; I actually believe I am still in to process of getting used of not having foods that make me binge, like cheese. I am reluctant to introduce other foods because I am afraid to lose all the NSV which are such a tremendous improvement of life quality. On the other side, I worry never to reach “food freedom”. 

Do you have any advice? Does anyone have a similar experience?

• Administrators

Hi @mariebolnous - congrats on completing your first. We do have many people who feel that they need longer to drill in their habits. However - we do caution that the learning experiences (like w/ the cheese and wine) that you gain are so important. They are the pathway to food freedom. It's completely possible that once you do your reintroductions that you will find out that one glass of wine every now and then is as far as you stray from Whole30 in order to look and feel your best and that everything beyond that is just not worth it to you right now. The thing is, without stepping out and testing those things, you don't find out that information and you're just sort of bound to a cycle of Whole30, crack out on wine/cheese, Whole30, go nuts with chocolate, Whole30, etc. If you can test the things, take the hits if you get any and learn from them, that's the perfect plan for you. 

You certainly can Whole90 and considering that you do have psoriasis which is auto-immune in nature, it wouldn't hurt you. Just don't do it because you're scared of the alternative. 

Thank you very much @ladyshanny for your helpful reply! Do you think it would make sense if I do a very slow introduction, like 10-14 days between introducing new foods? Will that help the body to heal and at the same time learn about the effects of those foods groups on my body, or does it not make a difference? I am really anxious of losing my precious NSVs. Really appreciate your advice!

• Administrators
7 hours ago, mariebolnous said:

Thank you very much @ladyshanny for your helpful reply! Do you think it would make sense if I do a very slow introduction, like 10-14 days between introducing new foods? Will that help the body to heal and at the same time learn about the effects of those foods groups on my body, or does it not make a difference? I am really anxious of losing my precious NSVs. Really appreciate your advice!

There definitely is a method of doing it slowly, we call it the Slow Roll Reintro around here and you can read more about it here: 

https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

• 4 months later...

I started my first Whole 30 on New Year's Eve.  The first 30 days were a real eye-opener.  Lots of cravings, etc.  But, I realized that 30 days was not enough to change my habits, so I did 60 (today is day 59!)  It gave me an opportunity to really have some deeper emotional experiences, I think.  Journaling a lot.  

I haven't experienced the Re-into yet..will in a couple days.  My plan is to do it for 10 days, then back for another W30.  

You are so right, the sleep is incredible!  No food is worth losing that!

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

I have what is likely Celiacs, not worth getting tested at this point.  I have been consistently  gluten free for about 6 months.  I’m still early in the program, but am wondering if it would be worth it to do the whole90.  Is this something I should consider or just wait until I’m through the first 30 days and then go from there?   

• Whole30 Certified Coach
On 9/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, Nicosia said:

I have what is likely Celiacs, not worth getting tested at this point.  I have been consistently  gluten free for about 6 months.  I’m still early in the program, but am wondering if it would be worth it to do the whole90.  Is this something I should consider or just wait until I’m through the first 30 days and then go from there?   

I’d recommend doing the W30 and seeing how you feel.  You can try the reintroduction then, or keep going.  Just don’t overwhelm yourself with a large deadline if you don’t need to.

Archived