Anyone out there with IBS on whole 30?

I’m on day 12. I have had IBS for over 20 years so that’s part of why I’m doing Whole 30. First week I felt pretty good and some of my GI symptoms were better right away. This week, for the last 4-5 days, I’ve felt not so great. Bloating has returned and having some diarrhea but inconsistently. This of course saps my energy. Since I’ve had IBS so long I get very discouraged when I have symptoms out of no where. That’s what it feels like right now. I am struggling to have an appetite for compliant foods. Is this normal? I wasn’t a majorly bad eater before, I couldn’t be because of the IBS. I was already gluten and dairy free. Also hard because there’s no consensus on foods that aggregate IBS.  I can eat a food 25 times and be fine and the 26th time it’s like I have a stomach virus. I’ve had GI tests to rule out other pathology.  I don’t know if I can tolerate another 2 weeks of GI symptoms. 

• Moderators

While we usually recommend that people start with just a regular whole30 without any other restrictions, many people with ibs and other digestive issues find they need to also restrict FODMAPS.  This is more restriction, and there's no guarantee it will help, but you might at least read through this article and see if it looks like maybe you're eating more of these foods than usual:  https://www.thepaleomom.com/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance/

If this sounds like a possibility, maybe at least try to make sure you're mostly eating from the green column on the chart part way through the article.

Definitely be sure you're drinking plenty of water and avoid nuts and seeds as much as possible.  

Thank you for the link.  I have been doing FODMAP since prior to starting whole 30. So confused and discouraged. I just want to feel better. It’s been so long! I was hoping whole 30 was the key. And my first week was pretty ok. 

Archived