Starting tomorrow

Kate Moorhose

Hi, I’m determined to get going tomorrow and to complete my first whole 30. I must have started on this journey at least 5 times before but have never finished. It normally goes wrong at day 10 but often well before that! I’ve also never used a chat forum before but maybe this will be the things that helps me keep going this time. Any tips or words of wisdom very welcome. 

• Moderators

Hi, Kate. Day 10 is actually the point when most people quit. It's no longer new and exciting, you've possibly washed more dishes in 10 days than you usually do in a month, but you haven't gotten far enough in to really be feeling the benefits yet, so it's easy to just give up. (Here's a humorous but pretty accurate look at what to expect throughout your 30 days: https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/.)

Definitely think about why you've stopped before. Was it not having food on hand and easily available? Was it stressful events that made you turn to comfort foods? Was it completely unplanned events that you had no way to anticipate? Sit down and think about why, and then brainstorm some ways to keep that from happening this time. There's lots of previous discussions on the forum about things like dining out, foods to keep in an emergency stash at the office, meal planning -- if you google Whole30 plus any of those topics or whatever you come up with for yourself, you can read how other people have dealt with those issues in the past, or you can always start a new discussion and ask about whatever issues you want to address, if you need some help coming up with ideas.

Archived