Different cheeses different reactions?

Nongermane

So I’m only on Day 21, but I’m planning out this reintroduction because I don’t want to mess anything up after all of this time. 

I want to start with dairy. It’s not a creamer in my coffee thing, but when my husband and I go out we like to find places with good cheese and fruit plates. And Ill admit to a cheese stuffed olive in a martini.  Before I just head into a date night, I’d like to prepare myself. 

So, researching, it appears I would be trying different kinds of dairy throughout day one, go back to whole 30 for a few days and evaluate. 

My question is, I eat a lot of different cheese on date nights when we get cheese and fruit boards, so should my reintroduction of dairy go a bit longer? Like, day one, some basic cheddar and an apple. Wait a few days, and then try some harder cheeses?

• Moderators

Some people do break their reintroductions down more, that's definitely an option. It does draw the reintroduction period out longer, but it can give you more information. You would do exactly what you mention -- try one category of cheese one day, wait a few days, try another. If you ever have goat cheese, it could get its own day. 

I'm separating my dairy reintro into 6 days. I wanted to separate the effects of casein, whey, and lactose as much as possible, but I couldn't find enough information about casein vs whey levels in different items. So I just used the total protein amount and carb amount (from lactose) to separate things. I'm doing low lactose, low protein; low lactose, medium protein; medium lactose, medium protein; low lactose, high protein; medium lactose, high protein; medium lactose, highest protein (and ice cream if I want it). I couldn't find a lot of info about doing it this way so I don't know if it will help me understand my reactions to dairy, but that's what I've come up with so far. My thought process was that casein has the potential to be more allergenic than lactose, so I wanted to start off with the lowest amount of it and work up from there. Some cheeses also have molds which might be worth giving them their own day too, but I'm not doing that because I don't like those cheeses much.

17 hours ago, Tarrantrl said:

I'm separating my dairy reintro into 6 days. I wanted to separate the effects of casein, whey, and lactose as much as possible, but I couldn't find enough information about casein vs whey levels in different items. So I just used the total protein amount and carb amount (from lactose) to separate things. I'm doing low lactose, low protein; low lactose, medium protein; medium lactose, medium protein; low lactose, high protein; medium lactose, high protein; medium lactose, highest protein (and ice cream if I want it). I couldn't find a lot of info about doing it this way so I don't know if it will help me understand my reactions to dairy, but that's what I've come up with so far. My thought process was that casein has the potential to be more allergenic than lactose, so I wanted to start off with the lowest amount of it and work up from there. Some cheeses also have molds which might be worth giving them their own day too, but I'm not doing that because I don't like those cheeses much.

Wow! This is impressive precision! Although it will take you 18 days just to reintroduce cheese (and you won't be able to repeat any--you'll need a spreadsheet)? Are you then going to to the other reintroductions? That'll be a long reintroduction . . . .

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Tarrantrl said:

That is an impressive committment. I'm currently doing a super slow roll for dairy but much less structured. On our vacation I got a horrible (HORRIBLE) stomach disaster from eating some cheap ice cream at Mount Rushmore of all places. Days later I had a dessert that had ice cream on it and I was totally fine. A few days after that I had the same dessert (holidays, what can I say!) but w whip cream instead of ice cream and I thought I was going to die.  So obviously there are different dairy formulas that I need to figure out. I like the way you're thinking about seperating casein, whey and lactose...........they do affect people differently. Interested in what you find out if you choose to come back and share.

• 3 weeks later...

@ArtFossil yes, I have a huge multi-tab spreadsheet for all this info! The only think left to reintroduce after dairy for us is gluten, but yes it does make a long reintro. It was scheduled to go from Oct 14 to Nov 16, but we had to add some extra days due to worse-than-expected reactions.

@ladyshanny on the first dairy day (Oct 29) we did butter, heavy cream, and mascarpone, which all are more than 90% fat according to the nutrition facts I found. Even this caused me to have a negative reaction that I'm still dealing with four days later! Headache, sore throat, hoarse and painful voice (especially frustrating as a singer), and really bad moodiness yesterday. We've postponed the next dairy day until Nov 4 (after when I have to sing in case it messes up my voice again). This is the second time butter has given me a headache, so it looks like I'm destined to clarify butter for the rest of my life, lol. I'm hoping that some dairy items will be tolerable. We'll see!

Archived