Trying Whole30 Keto

Laura<3

Hi! I'm not sure where to post this topic since I'm new. I just started my 1st Whole 30 diet and decided to try to do keto at the same time. My husband has been doing the keto diet for 4 months, and he's convinced me to try it. I have food intolerances for the past 2 1/2 years, and, for the past 6 months, I've still been having intestinal pains. My doctor doesn't know the cause yet so I decided to try cutting out carbs to see if that helps. I have food sensativites to dairy/casein, gluten, egg, almond, mushroom, and pineapple. I feel better already after only 3 days into the diet, but I need help coming up with recipes/food to eat. So far, I've been eating canned coconut milk (high in fat and no additives), meat pan fried in olive oil/coconut oil, avocados, and a few fried vegetables since net carbs for keto have to be under 25g/day. Can someone please help me? I feel like I'm almost just drinking olive oil when I eat. Is it crazy to try to do both diets? Keto seems to depend heavily on egg and dairy which I can't have anyway...should I give up the keto and just do Whole30? I'd like to do both if possible.

It's been said here that combining programs is not a good idea. So you will eat zero veggies? That does not sound at all healthy. You will be missing out on many valuable vitamins, minerals and fiber. If I remember right, the Keto diet was formulated for people with seizure disorders. Are you not able to eat eggs? They are such a low cost source of protein. I suggest you give the W30 a go, but I am not a doc and rarely play one on TV. :)

• Moderators

Don't mix programs. Pick one and go with it. You won't experience the full benefits of a Whole30 if you keep yourself in ketosis the entire time unless you have genuine medical reasons for staying in ketosis.

I heat olive oil occasionally, but it is best to fry foods in coconut oil or ghee. Olive oil degrades when it is heated.

You don't have to eat that low of carbs to do keto.

The thing about going keto - to the zero carb point (which 25 grams is practically that) is you have to be willing to eat a lot more of the animal than just choice cuts of meat. You'd have to make sure you're getting organ meats, including stomach and brain, and need to make sure you're eating wild/pastured animals. I think you really need to research the crap out of doing a zero carb diet before attempting it. I know the Perfect Health Diet people do talk about this (and advise against it except for certain medical scenarios), so it might be worth going through their blog as well. You have to be careful when you do this to avoid developing serious vitamin deficiencies.

If you're looking for a low carb diet, there are options to do ones in the 60-70 carbs a day range, which allows for a lot more vegetable matter. But what you're talking about sounds like a zero carb diet.

Like stated above, a Whole30 is NOT the keto diet. So you need to pick what you're doing and then make sure you know the ins and outs before doing it to get optimal results.

Archived