Starting Whole 30 Today! (2nd timer, first time=>holidays, 2016)

TeeAycherson

Ok, so I have been cheating on this forum with facebook, even though I don't really facebook, because there are some really helpful and motivating things going on there. Not that I don't appreciate, YOU, Michelle!

Day 16

Today I had bacon (baked with veggies and two eggs in the oven) for the first time in almost 11 months. Was afraid I had lost the taste for it, but nope. Still tastes like bacon. Still love it. But I don't want to eat pigs and I felt like the world's worst human after I did it and while I was cooking it. For anyone who reads this and scoff, go watch a video highlighting the millions of times a day happenings at a slaughterhouse and then tell me how you feel cooking up a pan of bacon... I dare ya.

Anyway, I am trying to remain focused on the physical benefits and the lifting of the brain fog to keep me motivated to keep off the sugar and all, but I have been feeling whack, emotionally, because of all the indecision and stress in my personal life. Unfortunately, W30 can't make your hard life choices for you! I think it is getting close to Tiger Blood time, but I think these doldrums will buffer the TB to unoticeable levels. Oh well. At least I am not bloated and continuing to gain weight. And that was a big thing for me... the scale just kept creeping up because of my stress/reward cycle. 

Theme of the end of day 16? I am grateful for the weight loss I have experienced so far and all that comes with that, in addition to the end of my very painful bloating each night.

Thank you, thank you, rulesy-as-hell-W30. You're fixing me. tom hanks thank you GIF

11 hours ago, TeeAycherson said:

Ok, so I have been cheating on this forum with facebook, even though I don't really facebook, because there are some really helpful and motivating things going on there. Not that I don't appreciate, YOU, Michelle!

Day 16

Today I had bacon (baked with veggies and two eggs in the oven) for the first time in almost 11 months. Was afraid I had lost the taste for it, but nope. Still tastes like bacon. Still love it. But I don't want to eat pigs and I felt like the world's worst human after I did it and while I was cooking it. For anyone who reads this and scoff, go watch a video highlighting the millions of times a day happenings at a slaughterhouse and then tell me how you feel cooking up a pan of bacon... I dare ya.

Hi, @TeeAycherson - some of the Facebook groups are great!  And very active. 

As for bacon:  I do understand.  I was a vegan for 2.5 years because I could no longer reconcile my extreme love of animals/grief for those without homes/etc with eating sentient beings.    After 2.5 years of completely vegan fare, I was heavier than ever and hormones way out of whack (all the soy: tofu, miso, soy curls I prepared for family to WOW them that these weren't really meat...).   My holistic practitioner had also been vegan in the recent past, and was STRONGLY encouraging me to resume eating animal products - but well-raised/humanely-raised/pastured animals, NOT factory.  I discussed with her my wrestling with guilt, and how she was able to come back to omnivorous eating.  She said, "I figured, it's them or me!"  This made me laugh, but it did hit home - so I vowed that, by resuming meat-eating, I would source the best possible meat and eggs available, which often cost 3x the price of conventional.  Whole Foods has a welfare-rating system for the animals' lives, 1-5, which guarantees the animal's conditions/environment, so you can decide how much you want to pay versus the benefit to the animal (highest rating is that the animal never travels - is "processed" on-site, no trip in a cold truck).  

I get that it's still slaughter; reading Michael Pollan was helpful to me - particularly The Omnivore's Dilemma, which addresses the very idea of how we eat and how the foot we eat gets to us, so disconnected from its origin.   

Ultimately, you can do what feels best for you.  But I avoid any sad animal posts/articles/movies at this point, because I DID avoid animal products - hoping my ethical/philanthropic intentions would pay off in supreme health - but it simply was not a fit for me and my health.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, MichelleCA said:

Hi, @TeeAycherson - some of the Facebook groups are great!  And very active. 

As for bacon:  I do understand.  I was a vegan for 2.5 years because I could no longer reconcile my extreme love of animals/grief for those without homes/etc with eating sentient beings.    After 2.5 years of completely vegan fare, I was heavier than ever and hormones way out of whack (all the soy: tofu, miso, soy curls I prepared for family to WOW them that these weren't really meat...).   My holistic practitioner had also been vegan in the recent past, and was STRONGLY encouraging me to resume eating animal products - but well-raised/humanely-raised/pastured animals, NOT factory.  I discussed with her my wrestling with guilt, and how she was able to come back to omnivorous eating.  She said, "I figured, it's them or me!"  This made me laugh, but it did hit home - so I vowed that, by resuming meat-eating, I would source the best possible meat and eggs available, which often cost 3x the price of conventional.  Whole Foods has a welfare-rating system for the animals' lives, 1-5, which guarantees the animal's conditions/environment, so you can decide how much you want to pay versus the benefit to the animal (highest rating is that the animal never travels - is "processed" on-site, no trip in a cold truck).  

I get that it's still slaughter; reading Michael Pollan was helpful to me - particularly The Omnivore's Dilemma, which addresses the very idea of how we eat and how the foot we eat gets to us, so disconnected from its origin.   

Ultimately, you can do what feels best for you.  But I avoid any sad animal posts/articles/movies at this point, because I DID avoid animal products - hoping my ethical/philanthropic intentions would pay off in supreme health - but it simply was not a fit for me and my health.

Thank you for sharing this part of your food story with me, Michelle. Yeah, I have only even been vegetarian as the other members of my family threatened to throw me out if I tried to get them to give up milk and cheese! I also ended up the heaviest I have ever been, the bloatiest I have ever been, and the blah-iest I have ever been. I was eating a ton of treats and sugar and just was not on top of eating as many veggies and healthy proteins as I should have been. However, I really do think that the soy and legumes I was relying on for protein was no good for me.

I do shop at whole foods and new seasons (maybe local to Oregon), which also has the welfare rating and we have so many ranches here, as well. There are options. I had just read about how smaller, more humane slaughter facilities were disappearing at a rapid rate because of the way agribusiness continues to go, but there is momentum to turn the tide. With my schedule and constantly being over extended and in survival mode as a grad student with four kids, I just haven't been able to do any better than whole foods and new seasons, but I think right now that has to be ok. Like your doc said, it is them or me right now because my body was definitely letting me know that something was not working out.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with me!

Day 20

It's been a minute since I have typed up a reflection and here it is DAY FREAKING 20 already! Two thirds through... my tummy is rumbling and I just watched two back to back episodes of that popular British baking show on Netflix with my kiddo who loves to bake. Give me all the cakes and 'biscuits' NOW!

But seriously, I am kind of in the throws of my sugar dragon rearing it's ugly head right now... even before the baking show. And Halloween mass candy didn't help. I love that shi%$y candy every year. I also just want some maple syup with my Nut Pods in my coffee, ok? Give it to me!

great british baking show cake GIF by PBS

But also feeling proud that I am still going strong, not snacking, drinking tea, and not really even counting down the days. I made things involving cheese and lots of bread today and it was a bit challenging not to mess things up, but I didn't. As quickly as the temptation comes, I can make it go away and that is progress made compared to the first whole 30 I did two years ago.

New Seasons makes a "paleo hash" that has been saving my life in addition to the bone broth egg drop soup and spicy garlic kraut. So many awesome options and just feeling so fortunate to not have my nightly bloat pains/pregnant looking belly/fart in bed sesh. So, so grateful. Those love handles are quite diminished as well... more and more each day (because lets face it, I am going to Kauai in December and I am in this for some scale victory along with reclaiming my energy levels and previously purchased clothing!).

10 hours ago, TeeAycherson said:

Day 20

But also feeling proud that I am still going strong, not snacking, drinking tea, and not really even counting down the days. I made things involving cheese and lots of bread today and it was a bit challenging not to mess things up, but I didn't. As quickly as the temptation comes, I can make it go away and that is progress made compared to the first whole 30 I did two years ago.

New Seasons makes a "paleo hash" that has been saving my life in addition to the bone broth egg drop soup and spicy garlic kraut. So many awesome options and just feeling so fortunate to not have my nightly bloat pains/pregnant looking belly/fart in bed sesh. So, so grateful. Those love handles are quite diminished as well... more and more each day (because lets face it, I am going to Kauai in December and I am in this for some scale victory along with reclaiming my energy levels and previously purchased clothing!).

You're doing awesome, and it shows!   

Day 26

Wow, where has the time gone?! I swear on my last whole 30 I was counting down the days (probably because I did it over Thanksgiving and up until Christmas), but this time I have been so busy, I am like, "What?! Next Wednesday is the last day already? But I am not ready to be done!" So that's great! I will just weigh in on day 31 and keep going.

It only gets hard when I don't go grocery shopping and end up living on kraut and root veggies for all three meals of the day. It's only happened twice, but still :lol:

One thing I am noticing is that I do not feel hungry ever, really. I eat when I know my body needs to eat, but I do not feel the intense hunger pangs I used to get in the afternoon and mid-morning. I am still without the bloat... I think I was slightly bloated ONE day during the past 26 and I was a total baby about it. I can't believe that blowing up to five months pregnant looking every night and feeling like I was going to explode was my norm. My bloating and my toxic sugar treat/work cycle were the two things I was hoping to gain some insight on, so I am going to spend the next half of this whole 60 really focusing my energy on the food relationship (and let's be honest, watch a few more pounds drop off this frame).

Right now I need to get back on my grocery game and stop eyeing them cookies while remembering to pay attention to all the good things happening with my body right now. A friend of mine said the other day, 'everything counts'... and that really resonated with me. I haven't lost as much weight this round as I did my last whole 30 round. But I am two years older and under a lot more stress than I was back then. Every time I choose whole foods and to pass on sugar, dairy, and grains it counts. Every single time. :) Drops in the bucket, self...drops in the bucket. physics boiling GIF

On 11/3/2018 at 10:09 AM, MichelleCA said:

You're doing awesome, and it shows!   

Thank you so much, Michelle! And how is your round 2 going? I will be traveling to Yuma to visit my sick grandma and I assume it will be hard to be compliant there, but I am going to try and stay close. I will start my round 2 when I get back on Monday, but grad school and parenting four kids is STRESSFUL, so I will be drinking wine a few times per week. I never have more than one class, but one glass three times a week will not be W30 approved... so I guess, technically, I will not be doing a real round two. I know that wine ain't no probs for me though, so it is fine for my purposes.

I hope you're well! Oh, do you have a fave dish you will be making for Thanksgiving? I made an "umami gravy" from the NomNom Paleo  website a couple of years ago that was so good! @MichelleCA

Archived