Can't wait to stop eating so much meat!

KHT

I'm two weeks into my Whole30 and I have to say...... I'm sick of all the meat. And I am really conflicted about how healthy this can be....... I mean, I am fine with eating a meat/seafood-based meal once a day, maybe even twice. And eggs are one of my favorite breakfasts. But I really miss my legumes and rice. And I feel like it's a healthier diet. I'm just not convinced......

Then this morning I wake up to this and it sort of drives it home for me: https://www.popsci.com/plant-protein-healthier?CMPID=ene101418

How do the Whole30 folks come to terms with science like this? 

I am going to stick it out for the month. I mean, 30 days of too much meat isn't gonna kill me. But long-term I just can't see this as a healthy long-term diet.

I'd be really interested in any peer-reviewed science that shows it is? 

• Administrators

Hi @KHT - what you're discovering about your preferences and how you feel is precisely what Whole30 aims to do. Perhaps, for you, you feel best with the inclusion of rice and beans. For others that may not be the case.

There is science out there to back nearly every viewpoint. Whole30 maintains that an omnivorous diet with an appropriate amount of animal protein will suit the vast majority of people. There are references and studies cited in the original book - It Starts With Food. That's a good start if you want to understand the reasoning and science behind the guidelines of Whole30.

Well, there's "science" and then there's actual science. (Full disclosure: I'm a science writer ;)

I have read some of the book It Starts With Food. Some of it makes sense, but I feel like there's more good science out there about a plant-based diet being better for you. 

There's a lot I'm learning from my Whole30, don't get me wrong..... about how I need some protein at every meal and no gluten is so much better for me, and that I can curb my sweet tooth and that really affects me.  But I think that a moderate meat intake is a better idea for a lifetime of eating.

36 minutes ago, KHT said:

Well, there's "science" and then there's actual science. (Full disclosure: I'm a science writer ;)

I have read some of the book It Starts With Food. Some of it makes sense, but I feel like there's more good science out there about a plant-based diet being better for you. 

There's a lot I'm learning from my Whole30, don't get me wrong..... about how I need some protein at every meal and no gluten is so much better for me, and that I can curb my sweet tooth and that really affects me.  But I think that a moderate meat intake is a better idea for a lifetime of eating.

A better idea for a lifetime of eating for you. This whole program is about learning what's best for you. Nothing can be applied with such a broad brush. 

I can't eat legumes. So it is basically impossible for me to do well with less animal-based protein. Can't do tofu, lentils, beans...that leaves me with nuts and??? Seitan? 

Archived