UTI while on Whole30

KHT

I'm on day 18 and was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday after not feeling so great for a couple of days....... I literally have not had a UTI for years, at least 5, probably more. I'm concerned that the change in diet caused this..... my doctor said that excess animal protein can change your urine chemistry and make it harder on your kidneys to process. Am I damaging my poor kidneys with Whole30? Has anyone else had UTIs pop up out of the blue while doing Whole30?

• Administrators

Hi @KHT - the Whole30 isn't really an excessive amount of animal protein so I would be surprised that this caused a UTI. We do know that when people do a big overhaul to their diet, their immune system can be a bit run down while the adjustment takes place, thus allowing bacteria to gain a foothold. Since a Urinary Tract Infection is caused by bacteria having been able to crawl up the urethra and settle in I could see this happening but not having much to do w/ animal protein. Of course I'm not a doctor, but to me that explanation doesn't really make sense. How different is Whole30 from your previous intake?

I am eating at least one more serving of animal protein per day than I was before. Before Whole30 I’d usually have a few legume-based meals each week. Having meat/seafood at lunch and dinner is a lot for me compared to before...... just seems so strange that after so many years I’d get a UTI while eating healthier than ever. 

Archived