Work meetings and group comfort eating

Nongermane

Sitting at a meeting- we all got back from lunch. They drop a giant pile of candy in the middle of the desk to share. 

Things I'm noticing:

I'm not super wanting it for a physical craving, which is an improvement. But, I do see how my HABIT of eating out of boredom was a huge issue before I started this Whole 30 journey. 

People eat a lot of bread and sugar throughout the day- even the healthier looking people at my table. I can see so clearly how food and alcohol is used for rewards and coping in our culture. 

Update: Since I have started writing this, we all just got served individual bags of candy. 

I hate to confess that I used to do this at trainings - put out candy for the afternoon sessions.  In retrospect (and watching people still do this at almost 100% of the longer meetings I attend) it's almost creepy.  Where we got the idea that this was helpful to our teammates and to fostering excellent thinking and collaborative behaviors...it's just sad.

14 hours ago, EllieHH said:

I hate to confess that I used to do this at trainings - put out candy for the afternoon sessions.  In retrospect (and watching people still do this at almost 100% of the longer meetings I attend) it's almost creepy.  Where we got the idea that this was helpful to our teammates and to fostering excellent thinking and collaborative behaviors...it's just sad.

I totally did it too, I mean, it’s cheap and gives the sugar rush for the rest of the afternoon. So I get the reasoning behind it- now that I’m more aware of my sugar intake it seems excessive. 

Archived