Trouble falling asleep

I am on my third whole 30, day 6. Each whole30, I experience new issues (not sure if that’s normal), but unfortunately this time it is sleep. I toss and turn for HOURS before I eventually fall asleep. Typically I go to bed around 11, no phone, computer, etc. for an hour before, and sleep in a dark room. It’s almost like a get a second wind at night—I’m not even tired until about 1-2 am and I need up by 7. Thankfully I’m a college student so I can still decently function with the whole “no sleep”, but it would be nice to not have to battle with this for the next 24 days. Here’s what a normal day looks like for me:

M1~ 8 am: 2 egg omelette with spinach, tomato, and pulled pork. 4 oz Naked green machine juice. 

M2 ~ 12-1 pm: spinach salad with sliced chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, hard boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, and tessemae’s avocado ranch (about 2 Tbsp). Glass of iced tea.

M3 ~ 6-7 pm: about 8 oz pulled pork, large baked sweet potato, cup of green beans or stir fry veggies

IF I snack, it’s usually a handful of cashews with some berries or melon. (Try to keep my fruit low sugar). I also cook my omelette, chicken breast, and evening veggies in olive oil for extra fat in my meals.

Exercise is either a morning run, or morning lift at the gym. Usually 5-6 days a week. This is typical for me—hasn’t changed during whole30.

• Administrators

Hmmm, sorry that you're struggling with sleep, that feels awful! I don't see anything that stands out except you could do away with the juice and replace nut/fruit snacks with protein & fat. I can't see it making that much difference, mind you. Are you making it 4-5 hours between meals? Eating pre and post workout food in addition to your meals?

How far off Whole30 were you between rounds? Sleep disruption can be a hormonal issue. Are you on or near your period?

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Hmmm, sorry that you're struggling with sleep, that feels awful! I don't see anything that stands out except you could do away with the juice and replace nut/fruit snacks with protein & fat. I can't see it making that much difference, mind you. Are you making it 4-5 hours between meals? Eating pre and post workout food in addition to your meals?

How far off Whole30 were you between rounds? Sleep disruption can be a hormonal issue. Are you on or near your period?

Not *terribly* far off whole30, occasionally ice cream or a glass of wine, but most breakfast/lunch meals reflected whole30. Felt myself slipping a little more than usual the last few weeks though, which is why I started another Whole30. Typically my work outs are in between breakfast and lunch, so I have been eating larger meals as opposed to pre/post workout meals. Haven't had any energy issues due to this. I am on my period though--didn't even think about that considering it has never given me sleep issues before. Might have to wait this one out and see how I feel next week. Thank you for your insight!

Archived