Anyone starting today, Oct. 22?

HeidiM

I am a huge sugar/carb addict, so this is going to be tough! Anyone else in my position want to encourage each other?

I had a hard time with the morning coffee -- no sweetener. Ended up making a smoothie and mixing my coffee into it. Am going out to lunch, but picked a salad place. So far so good, but when do the cravings go away??

• Administrators

Hi @HeidiM - congrats for making the decision to do this. Folks coming from a really heavy carb/sugar background do tend to struggle a bit. Although it seems harder and counterintuitive, your best bet is to stay away from the fruit heavy things like smoothies.  See comments below from the Whole30 website. 

Regarding the coffee, we do have people who prefer it sweet but have come to find that different brewing methods (ie, cold brew, pour over, french press etc) and higher quality coffee beans make a huge difference. Lots of cream and sugar converts here that now drink it black. :)

Finally, for the cravings - physically it takes about 7-10 days to start feeling better but mentally and emotionally it's a longer path. Eating fruits or larabars or equally sweet things in place of whatever sweets you would normally eat is just going to prolong your adjustment and may leave you in the same sugar-cravings boat at the end of your 30 days. The way through sugar cravings is to starve them out. Eat protein and fat when you absolutely can't get past a craving. Eat enough at your meals that you are satisfied for 4-5 hours. Drink water, salt your food, get good rest and take it easy on yourself. You may feel like crap at first. It'll pass!

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

2 hours ago, HeidiM said:

I am a huge sugar/carb addict, so this is going to be tough! Anyone else in my position want to encourage each other?

I had a hard time with the morning coffee -- no sweetener. Ended up making a smoothie and mixing my coffee into it. Am going out to lunch, but picked a salad place. So far so good, but when do the cravings go away??

Hi, Heidi!  It's tough, but SO WORTH IT to break the food addiction cycle, especially reliance on carbs.  I went 32 days 09/17-10/18, then took a few days off while I was traveling and visiting family.  I'm back on today, R2D1!  You can do it if you want it!  

Hi i started the whole 30 again for a 2nd time yesterday.  I took a week off....in between.....that did not go well.  So im back to square one.  

Yesterday was my day 1.  It was a good day.  Had beef jerky and eggs for breakfast.  Homemade soup with chicken potaoes and avacado and 2ounces of steak mashed potatoes and green beans.  I found myself not drinking enough water....so i need to increase that today.  I had vertigo a couple of weeks back.  So im hoping ill feel 100 percent myself at the end of whole30.  One day at a time.  

On another note...cravings were extremely hard for me last time...i want to improve that this time around. 

Day 2.  Is going well...had some decaf coffee, boiled eggs.  Im always on the run so i find this that are fast....but i do need to slow down....lolll. good luck to me!  

1 hour ago, Gloria Starr said:

Hi i started the whole 30 again for a 2nd time yesterday.  I took a week off....in between.....that did not go well.  So im back to square one.  

Yesterday was my day 1.  It was a good day.  Had beef jerky and eggs for breakfast.  Homemade soup with chicken potaoes and avacado and 2ounces of steak mashed potatoes and green beans.  I found myself not drinking enough water....so i need to increase that today.  I had vertigo a couple of weeks back.  So im hoping ill feel 100 percent myself at the end of whole30.  One day at a time.  

On another note...cravings were extremely hard for me last time...i want to improve that this time around. 

Day 2.  Is going well...had some decaf coffee, boiled eggs.  Im always on the run so i find this that are fast....but i do need to slow down....lolll. good luck to me!  

Hi, @Gloria Starr!  You're not back to square one if you experienced some benefits during your first round, AND realized the difference in how you feel while being off-round.  All part of the process!

From what you listed above, it seems like you could benefit from a huge increase in veggies.  Try to stuff them into/onto everything.  Even just a plate of eggs, lay them atop a huge bed of fresh baby spinach, which will wilt and taste lovely with the egg yolk residuals.  When your plate is at least 1/2-full of veggies, and you are having sufficient fats, you will fill up at meals to where cravings just aren't a big issue - at least this was my experience.  And if I am feeling peckish, some flavored tea is a nice treat (Republic of Tea has many delicious varieties, just be sure to choose those without stevia).

Archived