Nutiva Vegan Organic Coconut Oil Butter Flavor

Julie_V

Is this compliant? I don’t see anything that isn’t. According to Nutiva website,  “Our organic butter flavor is derived from pure non-GMO certified organic, fermented, gluten-free plants including sunflower, coconut, and mint.”

Thoughts? I really don’t care for ghee-it does not taste like butter!D78AD45D-0D86-4BB5-9512-B67FBC3F027C.thumb.jpeg.af7ddaa12ef5341113d3616b173618b2.jpeg88A01C5A-EB24-4F93-B795-5582F776E9B8.thumb.jpeg.ffc56849b13244cac22b20b106f9543b.jpeg

0EBDE2B8-AD2B-41E3-BF84-AA6894C2808E.jpeg

Well, Wikipedia says: 

Artificial butter flavoring may contain diacetyl, acetylpropionyl, or acetoin, three natural compounds in butter that contribute to its characteristic flavor. Because of this, manufacturers of margarines or similar oil-based products typically add diacetyl, acetylpropionyl and acetoin (along with beta carotene for the yellow color) to make the final product butter-flavored, because it would otherwise be relatively tasteless.[1]

Chronic industrial exposure to diacetyl fumes, such as in the microwave popcorn production industry, has been associated with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare and life-threatening form of non-reversible obstructive lung disease in which the bronchioles (small airway branches) are compressed and narrowed by fibrosis (scar tissue) and/or inflammation.[2][3]

Personally, I'd stay away from butter flavor.

Have you tried clarified butter, which is the same as ghee only you don't let it brown? It is easy to make and it tastes . . . like butter. :) 

Hmmm.  This is organic so I’d hope they don’t have chemicals in it,the website says it’s made from plants! I don’t think you can have artificial flavors in organic products, but I’m not 100%. I haven’t tried clarified butter though, maybe I will do that instead if it still tastes like butter.  :)

1 hour ago, Julie_V said:

Hmmm.  This is organic so I’d hope they don’t have chemicals in it,the website says it’s made from plants! I don’t think you can have artificial flavors in organic products, but I’m not 100%. I haven’t tried clarified butter though, maybe I will do that instead if it still tastes like butter.  :)

Sadly, synthetic ingredients can't be in organic foods (unless labeled "100% organic) although they are not supported to exceed 5%.

I really think one of the best benefits of doing a Whole30 is to get into the habit of reading labels. It's shocking what's lurking (especially sugar). :)

Archived