On day 10 and depressed

• Moderators

Sorry you're feeling down.

Other starchy vegetables include any root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets; winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash; and plantains. 

Things like getting outside in the sunshine and getting in some kind of exercise can help too. 

If it gets worse or continues for more than a few days, definitely talk to your doctor. 

Thank you so much, I guess I already include some of those in my food plan but ,,, what are plantains? Besides the blues only lasted a day or so. I'm now on day 12 and they had a birthday cake in our break room and a bowl of Halloween candy. I had a baggie of grapes with some beet chips that I found that were compliant and it helped to have the strength to walk out of the room.:) I've added two belt holes on my belt, dying to weigh myself. I didn't know this was going to be such a test of self control.

• Moderators

Plantains look like bananas, but they're not. If your store sells them fresh, they'll be sold individually not in bunches, and they can be green enough that they look unripe, or they can be so overripe looking they have lots of brown or black spots -- they get used in different ways depending on how ripe they are. They have to be cooked, if you do find them, don't try to eat the raw. 

You should be getting to a point where you're starting to feel better and having less cravings. The fact that you mention this being a test of self control, and the fact that I just answered your other post about blood sugar levels being wonky makes me wonder if maybe there's something about your meal composition that's not quite dialed in yet.

Be sure that at each meal you're having 1-2 portions of protein the length, width, and height of the palm of your hand, or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, probably 3-4. To that, add 1-2 servings of fat, generally in addition to any oil you cook in. This could be thumb-sized servings of oil or mayo or salad dressing, or heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, or half to a whole avocado, or a small handful of nuts or seeds, or 1/3 to 1/2 a can of full fat coconut milk. Then, fill your plate up with vegetables -- 2-3 cups. If you're having raw leafy greens, even more than that just because they tend to break down to nothing.  Occasionally have some fruit if you want it.

Also be sure you're salting your food and drinking plenty of water.

Day12 and starting to feel better. You right again my portion sizes are off and too many fruits and my protein levels are to small too. Thanks for all your good advice. I read all this I think in the Whole 30 book but when some one else tells me it seem to stick better in my mind. I just read your other reply too. Yeah plantains seem to be a lot of work. How would one go about cooking them though?

• Moderators

There are a lot of different ways to cook plantains. You can slice them thin and bake them into plantain chips. You can make these: https://meljoulwan.com/2015/08/04/crispy-plantains-garlic-sauce/, or a pastelon which is sort of like a lasagna but with plantain strips instead of noodles: http://www.notesfromamessykitchen.com/2014/02/17/paleo-pastelon-sweet-plantain-lasagna-whole30/

Archived