Constipation and bloating

I lost 60 lbs over 3 years ago on the NutriMost program then moved to a Paleo lifestyle. So I’ve maintained for 3.5 years but have more to go. My daughter is on round 2 of Whole30 and is down 30 lbs!!  Wootwoot.  I, however, am struggling. I have been 100% on program. No cheats at all. I read labels the whole bit. I suffered no initial trouble like headaches etc since I’ve really been eating this way for years. I have given up all alcohol and Stevia. Why am I so very very VERY constipated?  I wake up every morning with sausage fingers too. My salt intake is no different. I don’t feel like this is benefiting me. Am I doing something wrong?

• Moderators

I'm sorry you're not feeling great. It's hard to say for sure what might be going on without knowing more about what you're eating, so if you want specific feedback, you can list a day or two of typical meals including portion sizes and we can see if anything stands out.

In general, things that might affect constipation include not getting enough water (aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz), not eating enough vegetables, or not adding fat at each meal. 

So for instance yesterday

breakfast - 2 eggs fried, 1/2 avocado, raspberries 

lunch - traditional protein salad

dinner - out of the NEWWW cookbook, pork salad with cilantro-lime dressing.  Apple

i made this basic mayo myself so it’s ok. And I drink water all day long!

• Moderators

Ok, I'm not seeing a ton of vegetables there. Vegetables are where you're going to get your fiber, you need lots of them, and different types (for soluble & insoluble fiber). Aim for 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal. Most people do well with one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable a day, some people need more, some people do fine with less, but start from there and see how you do.

So breakfast, put your fried eggs over a vegetable hash (like this, or find another recipe you like:  https://unboundwellness.com/harvest-vegetable-hash/) or a salad (like this, maybe: https://nomnompaleo.com/post/104615214153/sunnyside-salad-crispy-fried-eggs-on-greens), or have a bowl of a chunky vegetable soup.

Not sure what's in your protein salad, I'm guessing some vegetables, but you can serve it on top of a bed of spinach or lettuce or other green stuff, or stuff it into a baked sweet potato, or use raw carrot "chips" (just slice your carrots into flat, round shapes, no cooking necessary) or celery to scoop up your protein salad.

Dinner, make sure your salad is huge. Raw leafy greens break down to almost nothing as you chew, so either have lots of them, or be sure you also add other, heartier vegetables. 

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit late, but @Brookie53 how did you get on in the end? I'm going through the same.

I would love tips on adding fat @ShannonM816 - i realise by reading a few posts i'm lacking/missing out on fat and having a lot of protein (fish, chicken) & veg but can't think how to up my fat intake. 

First time Whole30 Day 11

21 minutes ago, zesty_ruffles said:

I know this is a bit late, but @Brookie53 how did you get on in the end? I'm going through the same.

I would love tips on adding fat @ShannonM816 - i realise by reading a few posts i'm lacking/missing out on fat and having a lot of protein (fish, chicken) & veg but can't think how to up my fat intake. 

First time Whole30 Day 11

For me, I rely pretty heavily on avocados because I love them so much. I also use coconut oil (you can add it to just about anything) and coconut milk whenever I can. If you drink coffee, you can add either or both milk/oil to your coffee and blend it. Its like a Whole30 latte and really yummy. Also, if you like beef, its a fattier meat than fish and chicken so that could help too. 

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, zesty_ruffles said:

Avocado/guacamole, olives, occasionally nuts/seeds or products made from them, coconut flakes/oil/milk, mayo, salad dressings, any oil-based dressing or dip or sauce -- in a pinch, you can even drizzle some oil or melted ghee over your meat or vegetables. 

Here's some ideas for sauces:  

https://eatthegains.com/6-whole30-sauces-that-arent-mayo/ (the ones in that post are Whole30, but she links to a bunch of others, I didn't check those)

https://meljoulwan.com/2009/08/05/presto-pesto/

https://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/

The nice thing about using sauces is that you can batch cook protein all seasoned the same, and then change it up with two or three different sauces throughout the week to get different flavors so you don't get bored. 

Thank you all! This is really helpful! I'll go to the supermarket and stock up on coconut oil, ghee, avos and products for the sauces recipes :-) 

It's true I wasn't really having any sauces, other than a drizzle of olive oil on the salad! Lets see how the next 2 days go :)

@Heathermarie74 that coconut latte sounds dreamy! Will try that this week-end :wub:

Archived