Michele's Whole 30 - Start Date 1/3/12

Michele West

Day 1 - Today is off to a pretty good start! I'm very motivated to see this through!

M1: Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Green Bell Pepper, & Onion Hash sauteed in Ghee topped with three Fried Eggs. I had a small serving of Blueberries and Strawberries on the side. I decided to avoid my coffee during these 30 days, so I had two cups of Hot Green Tea with a little fresh lemon. The hash was awesome!

I felt a bit hungry in between meals, but it was nothing that was unmanageable. I made sure to drink a TON of water.

M2: Fresh Baby Spinach, Cantanloupe, Prosciutto, Red Onion, Walnut & Avocado Salad with a homemade Mustard, Balsamic & EVOO Vinagrette. This was delicious!

I'm not sure that I had enough protein with this meal. I think a hardboiled egg or some chicken would have been a nice touch. I'm not feeling quite satisfied.

M3: Roasted Salmon Filet (used a recipe from Well Fed), Roasted Root Vegetables (Sweet Potato, Carrot, Parsnip, Onion & tossed with EVOO and dried thyme) & Fresh Steamed Green Beans with Ghee.

Finished dinner and still wasn't quite satisfied....I guess it's going to take a few days. I did have a small spoonful of almond butter after I cleaned up the kitchen and it honestly wasn't that good! I think a handful of nuts would have been better. At least I found out now!

On the upside I didn't have any wine and I'm all set to settle in with some peppermint tea!

Your meal plan sounds great and delicious! I love the amount and variety of vegetables you're including. I'm still getting used to embracing the veg. The salad sounds tasty, but I agree that it's missing protein. Shredded chicken would be a great addition.

• Moderators

You are right that you needed more protein at lunch, so good for you. You probably need more fat with meals to keep yourself satisfied longer. Avocado slices or guacamole is a good source of fat as well as olives.

Can you come cook for me? :)

I love to poach a chicken on the weekend for the very purpose of adding it to a salad such as you had at lunch. You are fortunate to be in CA and likely don't have a shortage of avocados; if you ever do, a packet of wholly guacamole would be a nice addition for fat.

Thank you for all of the comments!

It's a big switch to start "embracing the fat" when I've been hardwired for so long to avoid it. Bring on the avocados and olives;)

I plan on roasting a chicken this weekend, but I think now I'll make it 2. That way I'll have plenty of easy to grab protein for the week.

Day 2 - 1/4/13

Well, the symptoms I've heard described and read about in ISWF have hit! Yesterday evening I started to feel tired and head-achy. I tossed and turned most of the night and had some crazy "food" dreams! I'm hoping my hot green tea helps the headache and breakfast will get rid of the body aches. It certainly does feel like the flu! On the upside I'm just more determined to see this through! Why put myself though all of this to just give up? Bring on Day 2!

M1: Leftover Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Onion and Green Bell Pepper Hash (sauteed in the leftover bacon grease) with 3 Slices of US Wellness Bacon and topped with 2 Fried Eggs. I'm thinking a kiwi and some blueberries sound good today.

M2: This is a maybe meal....I was up early and I might not make it until 12:30 for lunch. Small piece of leftover Salmon with leftover roasted vegetables with a handful of raw cashews. - I didn't need this. Yay!

M3: I'm throwing this in the crockpot this morning http://everydaypaleo...-crockpot-soup/ If it isnt' done on time, I'll fall back on a large veggie filled salad topped with egg salad! I made mayo yesterday and it turned out awesome! I still plan on a large salad with the soup if it's done! - So I can't find compliant chicken broth at the two stores that I have access to! Bummer:( Instead I had a HUGE salad with 3 different greens, beets, celery, carrot, muchroom, avocado, green onion, grape tomatoes, and zucchini with a Plaeo Dijon Vinagrette topped with a can of tuna with homemade mayo.

M4: Grilled Steak, Steamed Broccoli and Roasted Cauliflower (I'm roasting sweet potatoes for my little one.) A few pieces of cantaloupe to round out the meal;)

I'm feeling pretty good as the night winds down! My head is a bit better, so that's a relief. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep tonight and if that happens I'll head to Boot Camp tomorrow.

Day 3 1/5/13

Symptoms: Another rough night of sleep last night:( I can't wait until this passes! I feel like my system is on overdrive. Jittery, like I just can't settle down. It feels as if I've had too much coffee and this is Day 3 without it;) A small victory!

M1: A small handful of macadamia nuts and 3 dried prunes. This "meal" was at 12:30 a.m. I was hungry and couldn't sleep.

M2: 3 Eggs combined with Homemade Mayo wrapped in 3 Butter Lettuce Leaves and Topped with 2 Pieces of Bacon; A small serving of fresh strawberries and bananas. This was going to be my complete meal, but I didn't think it was quite enough. I sauteed a small zucchini in bacon fat and added 1/2 an avocado.

M3: TBD - I'm still hoping to make soup. I'm going to call Walmart to see if they carry the chicken broth that I'm looking for. If not, I'll probably fall back on a large salad with a protein. *No luck at Walmart, so I'm making my own this afternoon! I will have soup darn it;) I ended up making chicken salad with shredded, poached chicken breast, homemade mayo, red onion and celery. It was on a bed of arugula & baby spinach with 1/2 of an apple and a small handful of chopped pecans. The greens were tossed in EVOO and balsamic vinegar. It was delicious!

M4: Roast Chicken, Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots & ? *This meal was delicious. I made us a spinach and argula salad with chopped pecans, dried cherries and a little siced apple. The sweet potatoes were great! I added a some coconut milk, a little ghee, smoked paprika and cayenne. I called dibs on the left overs!

I'm hoping to take a nap later on. I was thinking about heading to Boot Camp today, but I don't have near the energy.

I did nap and I was groggy when I woke up. Fingers crossed for a solid night tonight. The headache is still going strong. Again hoping that ends soon too!

Chicken broth is soooooo easy to make. I just do an organic chicken in crockpot (great recipe for rotisserie style chicken at crockpot365.blogspot.com). Just have the chicken for dinner and strip off the rest of chicken for chicken salad. Keep all of the yummy drippings in crockpot and add all the bones (and some veggies too if u like). Cook on low overnight or sometimes I do for the next day too. Strain the bones and u will have the best broth ever! I freeze it in 1 cup portions. As soon as I run low I just do another chicken!

Day 4! 1/6/13

I'm feeling amazingly better today! I slept (although) could've slept longer, but I was hungry;) And my headache is gone! Dare I say I'm almost to my old but improved self! *Well, the headache is back, but doesn't have as much of a punch. Downing water and going to make some peppermint tea.

M1: One egg fried in ghee over leftover grilled steak, leftover mashed sweet potatoes with carmalized shallots, cantaloups and hot green tea with lemon.

M2: I'm going to repeat yesterday's lunch! Shredded Chicken Breast, Homemade Mayo, Celery, Onion, on top of Mixed Green, small amount of pecans and apple or grapes.

M3: Taco's sound good tonight! So, we'll Whole 30 them and skip the tortillas!

M4: More like a snack. I had a handful of macadamia nuts and 3 dried prunes before bed.

I stayed on track again today! I'm proud of myself! It was hard watching hubby have a beer but I managed by making some fresh mayo and hash for the next few days. I'm pretty tired so it will be early bed tonight!

Day 5 - 1/7/13

I'm feeling good today! Certainly the best I've felt since the beginning! I slept like a rock (aside from my 4 year old waking me up at 1 a.m.) and wasn't ravenous when I woke on my own;)

M1: Sweet Potato Hash (Sweet Potato, Green & Red Bell Pepper, Mushrooms & Onion), 1 Fried Egg, 1 Beef Sausage Patty (US Wellness), a small serving of cantaloupe and 1/2 of a kiwi. I've come to enjoy my hot green tea with lemon. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to coffee!

*M2: I got hungry! I should have had a bit more protein and fat with M1. I had the rest of the banana that my daughter didn't eat and another sausage patty.

M3: "Creamy" Chicken Tomato Soup (Everyday Paleo) and Assorted Veggies

M4: Almond Chicken Bake & Steamed Broccoli

Day 6 - 1/8/13

Slept great again! I did go to bed a bit later than I wanted and after reading today's daily e-mail, I'm changing that tonight. I'm even thinking about purchasing the magnesium supplement that was mentioned.

I have my first social situation challenge today! My bible study group (CWF) has it's first meeting of the semester today. It's a catered event and I know I won't have much to choose from. I plan on packing a snack of macadamia nuts and some dried fruit.

M1: Two Hard Boiled Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, One Sausage Patty and 1/2 of a Banana. Two cups of Hot Green Tea with lemon.

M2: Macadamia Nuts & Dried Prunes

M3: Chicken Salad with Homemade Mayo, Celery, Red Onion on top of Greens with Red Wine Vinegar and EVOO. I'll throw some chopped pecans and a little apple on top.

M4: I have a flank steak I might turn into Mongolian Beef in the crock pot. Or if I don't feel like it we'll eat up some leftovers.

Day 7 - 1/9/13

One Week Down!

I cannot believe how good I'm sleeping. I'm not yet waking up with boundless energy, but the fact that I'm not even waking up at night is awesome! I feel foggy it the morning and do weird stuff like pouring my daughter's milk into my cup, getting another glass of water when I already have one out, etc. I'm starting back to my work out routine today with a 90 minute Spin class.

M1: Two Eggs Scrambled with Spicy Italian Chicken Sausge, Zucchini & Cantaloupe

Pre-Workout: Handful of Macadamia Nuts & One Hardboiled Egg

Post-Workout: A Few Sliced of Deli Roast Beef (Compliant)

M2: Leftover Creamy Chicken Tomato Soup & Cucumbers Tossed with EVOO, Lemon Juice, S/P & Chili Poweder

M3: Flank Steak "Taco's" with Sauteed Bell Peppers & Onion. Topped with Homemade Guacamole & Salsa. I'll make a large salad out of this with Romaine and grape tomatoes.

Here is my Day 7 Worksheet!

-----

I find myself craving sugar, bread or sweets when: I seem to be bored or looking at Pinterest when this occurs;)

Sometimes, I think I'm hungry, but I'm actually just: bored!

When I'm craving sugar, I used to eat: anything to satisfy the craving!

During my whole 30, I'm going to reach for: peppermint tea and sparkling water are helping.

When I eat sweet food like fruit, I notice: they are sweeter than they used to be and I enjoy every bite!

When I eat salty foods like nuts or olives, I notice: I don't eat olives (bleck;() and I'm trying to keep the nuts to a minimum, so I guess I just feel thirsty?!

I thought I'd miss eating/drinking: Wine and Coffee/Creamer

I didn't think I'd like eating: Eggs Daily

I have the hardest time sticking to the whole30 when I'm feeling: Stressed...that's when I want to reach for a glass of wine.

I have the hardest time sticking to the whole30 when i'm in: This hasn't happened yet!

When I eat a good breakfast, I feel: Energized and Satisfied!

When I prepare a healthy meal from scratch, I feel: Proud, that I'm taking good care of myself and family!

Since I started my Whole30, I've noticed:

• That my exercise or sports performance: today is my 1st day back
  • That my sleep: the past two nights I've conked right out and slept straight though
  • That my energy levels: are more consistent
  • That my emotions: seem to be stable
  • That my recovery after exercise: we'll see after today
  • That my body feels: lighter
  • That my clothese fit: a bit better
  • That my condition(Skin issues, allergies, digestive distress, etc): are definitely improving!

Day 8 1/10/13

Yesterday I jumped back into my workout routine. The workout itself was great, I had a ton of energy to make it through a 75 minute Spin class. I normally start to wear out 3/4 of the way through, but not this time. I also didn't find myself hungry before class was over. I came home and ate 4 slices of Trader Joe's Roast beef (I was very hungry by this time) and had some sparkling water. About an hour or so after I felt like I was hit by a truck! I was nauseous and exhausted. So much so that I didn't even want to eat. I laid on the couch for a little bit after picking up my daughter and had some tea. It passed after a couple of hours. I wonder what could have caused this? Needless to say I'm taking it easier today and hoping to hit up a class tomorrow.

M1: 3/4 of a Banana topped with Sunflower Seed Butter & Coconut Flakes. Along with 2 Hardboiled Eggs and 2 cups of Green Tea. *I know there are no veggies, but I'll make up for that later today. I needed a beak this AM.

M2: I have a MOPS meeting from 10-12 and then I have to go to the grocery store. I'm going to have to pack some snacks! Nuts, veggies, some sliced Roast Beef.

M3: Large salad topped with chicken.

M4: Bison Burgers & Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Day 9 - 1/11/13

Feeling good today! The great sleep continues! I'm struggling a bit more with cravings in the later afternoon. That used to be my time to pour a glass of wine and munch on cheese and crackers. I've been staying busy and drinking peppermint tea to get through them. I'm headed to work out today! I'm going to a Bosu class. I plan on eating some sweet potato post workout to try and avoid how I felt on Wednesday.

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, 3 Slices of Bacon, Cantaloupe and 2 Cups of Hot Green Tea with Lemon.

M2: Pre-Workout - Macadamia Nuts

M3: Post-Workout - 2 Slices of Roast Beef & Sweet Potato

M4: Tuna Salad (Homemade Mayo, Celery, Red Onion) on Greens with Beets & Avocado

M5: Butternut Squash Soup, Grilled Steak, Fresh Steamed Green Beans & Salad

Day 10! 1/12/13

Feeling great today! I've been struggling a bit with cravings and thinking of all the foods that I want but can't have. I'm confident this will pass.

M1: Two Egg Omelet with Assorted Fresh Veggies topped with Homemade Salsa, 1/2 of an Avocado and Cantaloupe.

M2: Leftover Butternut Squash Soup (Outstanding) & a Large Green Salad topped with Chicken Salad.

M3: More Leftovers;) Flank Steak Taco's or something;)

Day 11! 1/13/13

Today we have a child's Birthday Party to attend. I'm packing a Lara Bar and some nuts, so I can avoid the pizza and cupcakes! I plan on grabbing Chipotle after the party!

M1: Two Egg Scramble with Zucchini & Chicken Italian Sausage, Cantaloupe & Hot Green Tea.

M2: Lara Bar & Nuts

M3: Chipotle

M4: May not need this.......

Good Morning Day 12!

I have to say that I can get used to how good I'm sleeping. It's pretty amazing to conk right out and not wake up for a solid 8 hours! I had a challenge yesterday at a Birthday party and I did it! Avoided the pizza and cupcakes. I'm telling myelf that if I'm going to indulge it's not going to be with crappy take out pizza. This is the attitude I hope to continue!

M1: Two Eggs scrambled in Ghee with Zucchini and Chicken Sausage, Two Mugs of Hot Green Tea and an Orange

M2: Preworkout - Small Handful of Cashews

M3: Postworkout - Hardboiled Egg and Sweet Potatoes

M4: Buffalo Chicken Salad

M5: Roasted Chicken, Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Cauliflower Fritters

Good job staying on track with pizza AND cupcakes in the room! There's a cake in the office kitchen right now, and I've discovered that while I'm not really craving the cake, I really want to stick my finger in the icing (not that I do this with cakes at work, lol, only in my own kitchen). Just goes to show how much of our relationship with food is tradition, not the food itself. Keep up the great work!

Day 13!

Man, I'm sore from my workout yesterday! It was a great class though and it's going to be my new Monday routine. I have my bible study meeting this morning and I'm not even going to enter the brunch room. I plan on bringing a Larabar and some cucumber with me....just in case. Still trucking along.....excited to be almost 1/2 way through. Although the cravings for chocolate and pizza have been pretty regular. I'm drinking tea and going to bed to help combat them.

M1: Sweet Potato Hash (sweet potato, mushroom, green bell pepper & onion), Two Fried Eggs and an Orange

M2: Chicken Salad over Greens with Pecans and Apple

M3: Grilled Chicken Wraps

Day 14! Two weeks down!

The cravings have been fierce! I'm not giving in, darn it! I've managed to get through the days without snacking between meals, but I sure do think about it. I think I'm in a cooking rut as in I just am tired of it. Last night I ended up having egg salad and cucumbers for dinner. Never thought those two would go together;) I'm hitting up a 90 minute Spin class this morning. Last week I felt great after the class then it went downhill. I think it was because I didn't have any carbs for my post-workout meal. I'm going to make sure I do today!

M1: Two Fried Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, 2 Pieces of Bacon, an Orange and Hot Green Tea.

M2: Pre Workout - Handful of Cashews

M3: Post Workout - Roasted Sweet Potatoes & 2 Slices of Roast Beef

M4: Buffalo Chicken Chopped Salad

M5: Green Curry Shrimp & Sauteed Veggies

Archived