salt-cured egg yolks

emilyjwich

I had an over-abundance of eggs from our backyard chickens, so I decided to make some salt-cured egg yolks.  I separated the yolk from the white, nestled each one in a container of kosher salt, covered it, and let it hang out in the fridge for a week.  The result is an egg yolk that's had all the moisture removed from it, and what remains is a bright yellow-orange, hardened, grate-able, (dare I say it) cheese-like puck.  When I've made them in the past, I've used them to grate over just about everything i cooked as a colorful garnish - soups, breakfast hashes, crock pot meals, you name it. 

I was wondering if this would technically be a compliant way to use them during the Whole30, or if this method treads too close to SWYPO territory for comfort.  I'm on R4D19 currently and i haven't used them yet.  Plus once they're cured, they last forever in the fridge, so if I can't use them for the next 11 days I think I'll survive.  I was just genuinely curious.

Thanks for any feedback!

14 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Wow, super interesting!! Are they really salty?

so they definitely retain some of the salt that they sat in for a week+ that they were in my fridge, but they aren't a food that I would want to snack on outside of using them as a garnish to other dishes.

that being said, I've always found them to be a really fun touch to any dish that I cook for my family and friends.  If they get the green light for the program I'd highly recommend that people check it out as a low cost and low-effort way to jazz up any meal!

• Administrators
7 hours ago, emilyjwich said:

so they definitely retain some of the salt that they sat in for a week+ that they were in my fridge, but they aren't a food that I would want to snack on outside of using them as a garnish to other dishes.

that being said, I've always found them to be a really fun touch to any dish that I cook for my family and friends.  If they get the green light for the program I'd highly recommend that people check it out as a low cost and low-effort way to jazz up any meal!

I started one in the fridge last night - couldn't not try it!

On 10/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, ladyshanny said:

I did it with a duck egg - how do I know when it's done? Just when it's hard? Or shrunken? 

I've never personally used a duck egg for anything, but as I understand, they're slightly larger than chicken eggs.  If that's actually the case, I would let it cure for maybe a day or two longer.  I go a full week for chicken egg yolks, so maybe let the duck egg cure for a day longer.  You'll know it's done when it's hardened and it's lost its jiggly-ness, for lack of a better term.  When they're done they should sort of feel like little pucks of cheddar cheese.

Hope this helps!

Archived