Day 11 (Started October 22nd)

ashleythebird

Hello All!

My name is Ashley and I am wrapping up my 11th day! It has been pretty smooth sailing so far. I have had a pretty healthy diet, meal prepping, learning as much as I can about food and how it is affecting my body. I've been currently on a weight loss journey for more than a year now, have lost about 25lbs but I still have a bit to go. I have noticed that my relationship with food has been hindering my progress. I let food gain all of the control and no matter what I have done to release that hold, I crawl back to over eating on food that I know I shouldn't be eating and my consistency goes out the window. I have also struggled with constipation, severe mood swings, acne, and other things since I could remember. I wanted to try the Whole30 to learn about food, better my body, and heal my relationship with food because it is hurting me across many boards. 

The biggest thing I have learned so far is when I am stressed, upset, mad, and all in my feelings, I do not know what to do with them. I actually have to sit and go through the motions and not indulge in fast food, chips, or ice cream, to make me feel better. I cannot explain that feeling into words, but it is pretty eye opening.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, ashleythebird said:

The biggest thing I have learned so far is when I am stressed, upset, mad, and all in my feelings, I do not know what to do with them. I actually have to sit and go through the motions and not indulge in fast food, chips, or ice cream, to make me feel better. I cannot explain that feeling into words, but it is pretty eye opening.

This is very common, @ashleythebird, so many of us use food to numb our emotions and when that is not available to us anymore, those emotions can be overwhelming! Often food is used as a distratction in an emotional situation so if the ones you're feeling are coming in too strong for you to feel you can deal with, turn on the tv or go for a walk or do something to bring in distraction until you can slowly approach what you're feeling and unpack it.

As women we're often taught that we need to be happy and calm and even all the time. But these emotions you're feeling, you were BORN with them. They aren't wrong or bad or in need of stuffing down. Feel them, talk about them, work through them. They're giving you valuable information about yourself and your environment and relationships. Learning what they are trying to teach you is an excellent way to help turn down their intesity.

One of my big emtions that I used to stuff down with a glass of wine the second I passed through the door was anger. I was ticked if I got home and dinner wasn't started and then I was more ticked if the dishwasher wasn't unloaded and then I was more ticked when I was missing an ingredient to make dinner until eventually everyone's evening was ruined. By sitting in the emotion and dissecting it, I realized I wasn't mad about the whole dinner making thing, I was angry that I'd "engineered" this routine that kidnapped my time before I could even take my shoes off. Because of the lack of numbing agent (wine, food), I was able to sit down and figure out why I was so crabby about it.....and then make some small changes that make good results in how that part of the day goes.

Archived