goingonwhole30

Workout on lunch break, cardio after work..

Trying to figure out my strategy on Pre/postWO. I am pretty active and lift weights on my lunch break at work 5 days a week as well as run 3 times a week after work and usually go to yoga 2 times a week. 

My schedule usually consists of eating breakfast at 10, lots of caffiene, workout from 12:30-1:30, eat lunch after, eat dinner around 5:30 and then have a shake or snack after my evening activity.

Any suggestions on a better schedule that follows the meal template better?

i can eat earlier but I don’t know if I should have lunch before my workout, or a Pwo meal before and then eat lunch after. Or if I should eat lunch before and have protein and a carb after? 

Lifting is where I put in the most effort so I’m guessing that’s when I’d want to fuel before/after but then I also have to consider my evening runs. 

Any advice?

Hi there, do you only get up at 9am? The recommendation for best results and best hormone and blood sugar balancing is to eat a template meal within one hour of waking. Why are you drinking "lots of caffeine"? Is it to get through the day? Stave off hunger? Try and stay alert? Or just enjoyment? If it's any of the first three, you may find that if you start timing your meals per the recommendations, you would need to rely less on caffeine throughout your day.

Pre and post workout food is in addition to normal meals. If you are not starving before you go workout, you can try doing your workout at lunch before eating, then when you're getting changed, have a couple bites of the recommended protein and starchy veggie and then eat your normal lunch when you get back to the office.

For the evening eating, again your post workout should be protein and starchy veggie. Not sure what sort of "shake" you're having but drinking calories, especially fruit heavy ones which is how most people make smoothies, is not recommended at all.

Thanks for all the feedback. Today is day 2 of my whole30 and the first day back to the office. I have been relying on caffiene because I dont get enough sleep throughout the week. I get up every weekday at 5:50, take the bus to work, and work from 7-4. My goal this whole30 is to not be reliant on caffeine and to get into a better sleep routine. I'm sure once I stop relying on caffeine I will also be able to get into a better sleep pattern.

I am giving up the (protein) shakes for the whole30 and replacing them with hardboiled eggs with some sweet potato fries.

Thanks for the recommendation on how to time the eating. The reason I had been eating breakfast so late was so that I wasnt hungry before working out. So my plan is to have an egg beforehand. I'm surprised that it makes that big of difference to eat the pwo immediately after, but youre saying that I should eat the pwo right after rather than just waiting to eat lunch which has protein/carbs?