Headaches, crying, periods

Maripo

Hello all,

I had a fairly healthy diet going into this program. I have increased my red meat and pork consumption, stopped alcohol, and sugar. I still drink coffee but have never drink soda. 

I am on day 14. I have awful headaches akin to migraines almost in a daily basis. I have become extremely sensitive and am beginning to break into tears over the slightest negative word, losing my keys, etc. 

i have also gotten my period for the second time in a month. 

My back hurts all the time. 

Should I stay on this plan?

please help!

• Moderators

Can you give us a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes and specific vegetables? That might help us see if there's something obvious you might need to tweak to get better results.

In general, be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz. Be sure you're salting your food. And be sure you're eating enough -- follow the meal template, remembering that it represents a minimum amount you should be eating each day. (download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/.) So 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein the length, width, and height of your palm, 1-2 of the fat servings listed in addition to what you cook in, and then fill your plate up with vegetables, 2-3 cups at each meal at least. Be sure you're having at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, rutabagas, plantains, or winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash), and it's okay to have more than that.  Starchy vegetables often help with things like feeling down or anxious, so for a few days, have a serving at two or even all three meals and see if you feel better -- you can slowly cut back if you don't want to eat that many each day. Continue to eat other types of vegetables as well. 

Whole30 can affect hormones, so some changes in menstrual cycle isn't unheard of. If you're concerned, definitely talk to your doctor, but people who stick pretty close to this way of eating generally find it evens out in a couple of months and that many of their pms symptoms improve over time.

• Moderators

It honestly sounds like you're probably not eating enough or maybe even not drinking enough.  I'm sorry you feel so terrible.  Can you give us a rundown of what you've been eating for the last few days including portion sizes and specific protein, fat and veggies and we can see if anything stands out?  Are you making your meals match the template and getting between 4-5 hours between each meal?  Eating a pre and post workout meal if you workout?

Getting your period again isn't that abnormal, it's due to the change in hormones usually altho if you are concerned, please see your doctor.  Back pain is also not a symptom of eating meat and veggies but lets see what you've been eating and we'll see what we can find.

Archived