Rookie

Round 1 Done! Results for a Mid 30's guy

Hi everyone. I'm a lurker and first time poster.  I just wanted to thank everyone for this forum.  I browsed it a lot to get me through, and finished my first round of Whole30 yesterday.  I thought I might write a quick post to help someone else someday.

About me:  I'm a mid 30's guy with a desk job and two kids.  For a decade, I've eaten junk and my body is paying for it.  I'm 5'8".  Ten years ago, I weighed 160.  On January 1, 2018, I weighted 191.8.  I got motivated and started watching what I was eating and walking a fair amount, and through that I dropped about 10 pounds.  Then, over a few months, I was stuck at 182 with no meaningful fluctuation.  I wanted a jump start and decided to try Whole30.

30 days later, I'm 170.4, which is 11.6 pounds of loss.  More importantly, I feel much better, am motivated to get where I want to be, and am dedicated to healthier eating.  I'm so glad I did this.

Things I did right:  I stuck to the plan, eating only permitted foods, and didn't break.

Things I wish I had done: I didn't exercise at all.  I wish I had.  Some days I just felt so tired.  I should have increased fat and pushed through.

What I relied on too much:  I definitely ate too much fruit and, towards the end, potato. 

What I learned:  I have self control.  My body is my responsibility.  Also, it turns out I enjoy cooking and I actually like most vegetables.   Who knew?

What now?  Now I'm in the reentry phase, and I'm going to do that for myself to see if I have any hidden intolerance.  Once I'm done with that - regardless of what it shows - I intend to go minimal dairy, avoid added sugars, and say no to bread for - well - foreever. Also, I'm determined to get back to 160 and reshape my body, so I'm starting a weight training and cardio plan.

That's about it.  Thanks!