LadyLisbette

I did my 2nd W30 last December, and it was really empowering to get through the season in a state of high health! That was a first for me, a recovering cookie monster.

I've had a good year, but still working on Food Freedom. Looking forward to reducing inflammation, and feeling better in my hips and feet (I'm thinking it's arthritis). 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

@LadyLisbette, it might help if you tag her so she can find this thread more easily -- just type the @ symbol, no space, and then start typing the name. When you see the right person, click/tap their name, and they're tagged, meaning they should get a notification and link to where they've been tagged, like this:  @hollysmokes

Thanks @ShannonM816 I always wondered how everybody did that!

Here I am! I'm getting geared up for our Saturday start: restocked my coconut aminos that was almost empty, made sure I have plenty of oil to keep the mayo supply going, made beef bone broth, have some compliant tuna on hand in case of lunch un-prepare-ed-ness emergencies and took advantage of a super sale my meat guy was having so I'll pick up a bunch of good quality meat this weekend- hah! on Saturday, actually. 

Nice to meet you, World is Your Oyster! I'm afraid I'm non-FB-er as well but it's nice to keep in touch here so the Marvelous Mods can keep us in line

Thanks so much, @ShannonM816 for that great tip, I too wanted to know how to do that!

And HIYA @hollysmokes it sounds like you're in great shape for day 1 and beyond! I've been warming up with tightened up compliance in recent days, and I will be ready! I have some leftover chicken mushroom kale hash in the freezer for emergencies. I'm finishing up some yummy cinnamon apple chicken patties that go great with roast veg and also in salads, or with a smear of almond butter a la Melissa Joulwan!. Next up will be grass fed bison chili, NomNom's wonton meatballs, and at some point soon, tomato soup. I'll keep plenty of salad greens on hand, both crunchy and roast veg on hand, and trust myself to stay organized! There's half a package of non-compliant bacon in the fridge, so that will have to go in the next few days.

How's it going, @Worldismyoyster?

Hi All! This is also my second December W30, which I find really empowering as well. I started this past Sunday, and have made it through the first 3 days well. Made sure to have delicious recipes planned for Week 1 to make things easier. @hollysmokes I am with you on keeping the mayo train going! Since my first W30, I have never gone back to store bought, and have played around with all kinds of mayo flavors. Do you have a favorite? Right now I've been adding lots of fresh herbs into mine, which makes everything taste like the Holidays!

I want to recommend this mustard chicken recipe from the Whole Smiths (my favorite place to search for new ideas): https://www.thewholesmiths.com/2018/08/26/creamy-mustard-chicken-spinach/

It was hands down one of the best things I've eaten in a while, super easy, and I will definitely be making it again next week.

Hi @ElizabethG! Welcome to the thread! Last December was my second W30 and even though I started a couple of days after the rest of the group, it didn't really matter. You'll be blazing the trail for us this time! I wound up turning that W30 into a W60 and really got a lot out of it. I'm not doing that this year and am pretty excited that I'll finish just in time for our wedding anniversary. Except for some beer/wine indulgences and more carb-dense veg than I really need, I haven't strayed too far too often so getting back on track should go pretty smoothly.

I've been making homemade mayo for years and have it down to about two minutes and only dirtying my immersion blender. I left an egg sitting on the counter this morning so I can replenish my supply this afternoon. My Mom actually made homemade mayo when we were kids and everybody thought that was the weirdest thing ever! My husband is a major convert and don't even think about getting between him and the mayo if he's eating beets. I've never flavored my mayo and I think I need to branch out a bit. I've added curry powder to my chicken salad so I guess that's like using curry mayo but that's as close as I've come except for making salad dressing. I'll add a little red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian herb blend to make creamy Italian dressing. If I'm not W30-ing I'll leave out the herbs and do the same thing with blue cheese (I don't have any problems with dairy except overconsumption and W30 has nipped that in the bud). I have some Thai basil cubes in the freezer. Oh! And some garlic scape pesto! I bet those would make a good combo. Thanks for the idea and that chicken looks delicious. I can't remember if I have compliant Dijon mustard or not so I'll have to check but I have everything else. My husband isn't a dark meat fan so I'll probably just cut up a whole chicken instead of just using the thighs.

Nomnom's wonton meatballs that @LadyLisbette mentioned are really good too. If you haven't tried them you should. I think those meatballs and the chicken are going to be part of my cook-up this weekend. Tomato soup doesn't sound like a bad idea either since it was 17 degrees here this morning. I like to add some chopped, cooked kale and mini meatballs to make it a meal.

Hi everyone! I started on Monday so I'm currently on Day 3! But I'd love to join your group for some accountability and encouragement! 

I LOVE the outdoors and being able to do the things I love until the day I die is the reason I'm here. I love hiking and backpacking and paddleboarding and kayaking and mountain biking and climbing! I eat very, very poorly (think Lucky Charms for breakfast, Mac N' Cheese for lunch) and I know it will not sustain an active lifestyle for the long-term, so here I am! I am determined to one day be that kick-a** 80-year old lady out crushing it on the trail! 

I've done one successful Whole 30 (which I did for 43 days) and have made several other attempts (ranging from 7 to 27 days in length).

Hey @kirbz! Even though I didn't really start posting until last year, I lurked around the forums for months and recognize your name. Glad to have you join the party!

@Worldismyoyster what prepping are you doing? Aside from stocking a few things in my pantry, I've been making sure I used compliant ingredients in the big batch things I've recently cooked so I would have some things in the freezer for nights I don't feel like cooking. I also finished up some locally cured country ham that I'm sure has added sugar in it even though I haven't been able to confirm it.

Hey, we have a December gang, yay! Welcome @kirbz, I love backpacking, too, and admire your approach and goals for a long life. I so dearly hope to be out on the trail when I am an old woman, too!  

And welcome @ElizabethG, I just started jazzing up my homemade mayos, and recently used grated ginger, lime zest, and lime juice to go with Mel J's shrimp patties, and that was so delicious, I followed up with chili and lime for the next one. I have to be careful not to eat too much! 

@hollysmokes can you get Annie's products near you? I like Annie's Dijon and it's compliant, yay! If only I could find a balsamic without sulfites...are naturally occuring sulfites ok? I'll have to look it up...also, what are you guys doing for vitamins, if anything?

Short on time, but really looking forward...those of you who have already started have me tempted to start now, but I guess I'll wait til after the bacon is gone! 

Thanks @kirbz; love me some Ray Wylie! I try to remember it and think about it every day.

@LadyLisbette I'll check my balsamic when I get home; I don't think it has added sulfites. Naturally occurring sulfites are OK. Thanks for the Annie's suggestion. I think Publix brand is compliant but if it's not I'll look for Annie's. Ginger and lime mayo- yum! Yeah, that could be easy to overdo. I bet it would make a fabulous chicken or tuna salad. I'm getting some limes!

I love hiking as well and I tried to get my husband out on a trail last weekend before it started raining but he wasn't so interested. I'm going by myself next time and I think that's going to be this Sunday (rain on Saturday). My neighbor walks her dogs several times a day no matter what the weather. She even has crampons for when it's icy! She's my inspiration! Unless it's storming, I'd like to do a hike every weekend.

Hello everyone.  I'm in for a December 2 start actually.  But I may try it out on the 1st.  I have people coming by to help me with some things in my late husband's office and I promised I'd take them to lunch.  There are things there that are marginally acceptable so I may go ahead and give it a shot but I just don't want them to wonder why I'm eating steak and avocados in the middle of the day.  Or not.  Hmmm.

I have a batch of mayo in the fridge already.  I'll have to check to see how it's holding up.  I'm also an immersion blender in a small mason jar type of person per Mel Joulwan's instructions.  So cookup will be potatoes, chicken, mayo if needed, Italian dressing (Joulwan) if needed, veg prep (brussels sprouts for quick roasting in my toaster/convection oven at night, etc. 

Hi @tinman57, welcome aboard! I noticed you have a lion avatar, and with your name, suggesting The Wizard of Oz, very nice. I love Glenda the Good Witch's counsel to Dorothy that she always had what she needed, all along. In fact I think I'll keep that close to heart all during this W30.

Good that you'll have helping hands with your late husband's office -- gosh, that would be understandable if you didn't start that day, but also wonderful if you do - it sounds like a supportive group.

Roasted brussels sprouts are a favorite of mine - yummm. What kind of oil do you like for roasting veg?

Good to know, @hollysmokes about the naturally occurring sulfites, thanks! I'll be with you in solidarity with you re. the hikes - if you can get out in the cold weather where you live, I have no excuse to get out there, too! A W30 and regular exercise sounds like heaven.

@LadyLisbette I still stick with good old trusty extra virgin olive oil when roasting any vegetable. I've been volunteering at a cooking school for 3 years now, and it's primarily what the chefs use as well. The one exception is they love using duck fat when roasting potatoes, which is delicious. 

Welcome @tinman57 and @kirbz! I really love that people are coming to this with so many non-scale goals, which I think is really the heart of W30. I know I'm not perfect by any means, but over a few years and a few W30s, I can definitely still point to long term, healthy changes that work best for me: no more diet coke, no more gum (too much air in my stomach), throwing away my scale and only weighing myself on occasion at the gym, being able to keep almond butter in the fridge without taking spoonfuls every day (it can now sit there for weeks without bothering me), etc. I hope to keep building on these this time around.

On an unrelated note, I want to endorse one of my favorite flavor combos right now - cinnamon and chili powder. Great on roasted veggies like sprouts, carrots, winter squash.

Good morning@ElizabethG! It looks like you're an early bird, too. And possible on Eastern time? Volunteering at a cooking school sounds like a hoot and duck fat roasted potatoes sound decadent and delicious! I just got access to Restaurant Depot (it's like Costco for restaurants) and I bet they have duck fat. I'm going to go check it out and put those potatoes on our Christmas menu. Since I'll be W30-ing for Christmas (we all are:)) I'm trying to plan a more elaborate and indulgent menu than usual. Cinnamon and chili powder sounds like a great combo; I've been on a kick with Mel Joulwan's Lebanese spice blend and this weekend I'm going to mix up some poultry seasoning. I love it but I always thought it had a bunch of highly questionable ingredients in it. I found out it's just rosemary, sage, marjoram, thyme and a couple of other things. Mark Sisson sent out a recipe for "dressing" that's just riced cauli, carrots, onions, celery and poultry seasoning and I though it sounded pretty tasty but I wondered about the poultry seasoning. Now I know!

It looks like everybody here (so far) has W30 experience. It'll be fun to hear about it. Welcome @tinman57 and thank you @LadyLisbette for 

8 hours ago, LadyLisbette said:

I love Glenda the Good Witch's counsel to Dorothy that she always had what she needed, all along

It reminds me of @MeadowLily 's "She thought she could so she did". 

Hi @Laura P. welcome to the party! What's on your mind for this round?

I have not tried using duck fat yet, @ElizabethG but your post reminded me to get some! Recently a friend gave me a recipe for balsamic duck breast that she made and loved at Thanksgiving, so I think there's some duck experimenting in my future! AND, your conversation about chili powder and cinnamon lit up my brain! I couldn't wait to try that out, so this morning I stirred some into my pre-work out scrambled eggs. I sat undistracted and took in that delicious combo, so earthy and comforting. When I'm not W30ing I tend to eat at my desk, so I'm letting that go as I roll towards start date, today, with that new flavor combo. Thanks!! Now, I'd better get to that exercise!

@hollysmokes besides the duck fat, please tell more about your new Restaurant Depot scores when you get a chance to go = )

@Laura P. Welcome! 

@LadyLisbette I don't know anything about Restaurant Depot but Costco has a surprisingly large amount of food that is Whole30 compliant! I was truly shocked at how many foods I found there with really clean ingredients. Here's some of the things I've purchased there in the past! 

• Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork (just boil the package for 12-15 minutes and it's ready to go)
  • Aidells Chicken and Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage
  • Parma Prosciutto di Parma
  • Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut 
  • True Story Organic Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Snack Packs (can you say post-workout meal anyone?)
  • True Story Organic Chicken Breast (they're chunks of chicken breasts that are great pre- or post-workout, or I've even created a meal with them when in a rush)
  • Organic Cauliflower Rice (just add some ghee, sautee it up, and you're good to go) 
  • Grillo's Pickles Dill Spears 
  • Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning 
  • Wholly Guacamole Organic Minis (mini guacamole cups that are perfect for a meal or on the go) 

Guh, I'm already thinking about giving up on this! I'm struggling to find a balance between how much stress this program introduces to my life and the benefits it  brings. Because really, the meal planning and prep is HARD! And more than just hard, it's stressful. I stress about how to meal prep in order to have compliant foods on hand to eat. And I feel like I make it about as easy as it can be by spending a fortune buying pre-made items like sauces and dressings. So I'm spending lots of money and stressing, in order to try and be healthier! But how do I become healthier if I'm stressing all the time about becoming healthier!?

In the past, when I did a successful Whole 43, I tended to wing my meals. I would decide what I wanted to eat for the next day on the way home from work, stop by the store to collect any items I didn't have, and then I'd prepare a meal that would be dinner and lunch the next day, and then a breakfast the next morning. That worked for me. 

But I don't have access to a kitchen for a couple of days every work. And I'm not sure I can afford that style of eating. So I can't do my tried and true method of preparing meals. I tried the whole batch cooking concept this week and I absolutely HATE it. I resent the time it takes away from my precious weekend and my family (I don't get to spend every day with them as I travel for work). I hate not eating fresh foods all the time. I hate using a microwave for every meal (that can't be healthy, can it?). And I really hate eating the same darn thing over and over and over. So eating totally sucks. I don't enjoy it at all. But I can't figure out a way to do it differently. 

Really, one of the reasons I'm doing this is because I want it to kick-start some lifelong dietery changes. But this just isn't sustainable. I can't do it for 30 days. How can I do it forever? And if I can't do it forever, why am I doing it at all? Maybe I should be trying some other way of eating. 

I'm sorry for the tirade. I guess I'm hoping for a sympathetic ear and perhaps some experiences that could help me figure out how to make this less stressful and more sustainable.... I don't really want to give up. But I'm also not sure it's worth continuing like this. 

I hope this isn't too much of a buzzkill for those of you who have yet even to start! I apologize! 

Archived