LadyLisbette

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what you're saying about re-wiring the brain, @LauraP, and I really trust that is exactly what we're doing here. As far as the plate goes: are you using the meal template? How is that going? And as for the stomach, are you noticing when you feel full? I think the 30 days are all about observation and fine tuning. This morning I was disappointed to feel a little hungry earlier than I thought I should be, so I drank my water and I felt better. @hollysmokes FWIW I say, keep the scrubs, they will be fitting in no time at all!

Today's discovery: I was wanting to reach for the chewing gum after lunch. So I'm going to bring my floss and mouthwash and/or a batch of iced peppermint tea to sip after lunch. Hopefully that will do the trick!

I made time for yoga this morning...I didn't have a lot of time, so I put my whole heart and focus into the postures I did have time for, and it made me happy and felt so good. Then I sat for about 10 minutes in meditation. My goal is to do at least that much, every morning.

How are you doing @ElizabethG? And yes, onwards, @Shosh2015, so glad you are feeling better! Good job passing on the cookies! I went to a farewell gathering on Sunday, and there were baked goods everywhere. Ninja -- moving right along, and then right out the door! ha.

I’m going to be starting today. And I’d like to join your group. You are sound like a great group of people and a great support system through this month. I have been in and out of the forum for several months now starting and then stopping and not completing. I need to get a handle on my health. I have a fatty liver. Doctors for years of told me that I’ve got to lose the weight. And although I know this is not a weight-loss program I know by getting my body healthy I will naturally just lose the weight. I a candida issue so my cravings get really bad. I know that will get better as they die off. I am doing probiotics to help with that. I have been able to resolve my high blood pressure problem with the intermittent whole 30 programs I’ve done which is great. I do need to get a handle of the high cholesterol which I know cleaning up my eating should take care of. Another thing I’m hoping is it will help handle my arm pain. I feel that part of that is because of my bad eating and hopefully those old injuries will calm down and not be as problematic. I have a lot of allergies: garlic, onions, most peppers, tomatoes. They are the ones that causes the most reactions when I eat them. I’m also going to be going off of eggs as well and caffeine. I don’t really need to do much food prep because I was supposed to start last week and didn’t so I have a lot of things left. I do a lot of meat food prep so that I can just do vegetables and have all the meat available. That helps me with time.

I am hoping this time around to get the sugar dragon under control. I want to get more exercise in. And make sure I leave enough time for cleanup in the kitchen. Those are my goals.

My challenges for this month are I have a colonoscopy on Friday. I’m going to reread some of the research I did on whole 30 about doing a colonoscopy while on the whole 30. I have some ideas. But I’m not going to let that stop me from starting. If it means I have to do an extra five days instead of the 30 because of it then that is what I will do. I have decided that I am going to postpone my jury service for next year. I don’t want to have to deal with how am I going to be compliant if they don’t allow me to bring my food into the courthouse. Also at my weekend job there are a lot of sweets and cakes and things of that nature that are huge Temptations. So I will just need to make sure that I avoid those areas which I can for the most part.

I am catching up on all the posts and would love to respond to more but they are just too many. You are all so inspiring and I am looking forward to this journey with you. 

@kirbz so glad to be doing it with you again. I fell off the fridge and didn’t make it the last time but I keep getting back on the fridge. I am so happy that you decided to stick with it.  Maybe see if your family can help with the food prep. Make it a family affair. I try to do a massive food prepped and freeze them for the upcoming weeks. I will only eat left overs once maybe twice but they have several days between them. Some of my favorites are tandoori chicken, a large meatloaf, found a great dill meatball recipe https://themonogrammedmom.com/dijon-dill-turkey-meatballs-homemade-sauce-whole30-paleo/ , I also do a 2-3 Whole Foods whole chicken I debone for salads. Then portion these out and freeze them. Then the other weekends I just do several easy fill in meals. 

@tinman57 so sorry for your loss. I understand the feeling of needing something you can control as life around you shifts and changes. I am glad you are with us. Thank you for reminding me that I am in control of what I put in my body. I seem to have forgotten that and have been feeling out of control on my eating.

@Shosh2015 I am glad you are feeling better.

Today went really well. I did get a small headache but that has gone. The evenings are the hardest because that is when I get the munchies. I am also used to eating before bed to help myself sleep. If I am hungry at bed time I sometimes can’t fall asleep.

Here is one recipe I created and love

image.png.a95edddd94c2ac21d9d9add36a0437a2.png

Happy Day 4 (+/- a day or two for some of us). How's it going? I've never been organized enough to start a W30 on the first of the month so it's nice that I can just look at the date and know what day I'm on. 

Welcome @Elizabeth33! It sounds like you have quite a few challenges in front of you but it also sounds like you have a good plan in the works. My munchie time is when I get home from work. Yesterday I was a little hungry and definitely munchie but I had the last of my beef bone broth that was in the fridge with some collagen peptides and a little glass of kombucha and was able to hold off until dinner without attacking the almonds. I'm with you on having ready-to-eat or easily cooked proteins on hand then fill in w veg. That's the closest I seem to be able to get with meal planning. I've never been very good at setting a menu for the week and sticking with it. I wish I could; I think it might simplify things but it just isn't the right fit. 

@LadyLisbette thanks for the vote of confidence! That's the direction I'm leaning but haven't been confident enough to take off the tags and toss the return paperwork. I FINALLY made MJ's shrimp patties! Yumyumyum! I actually made them and Nomnom's wonton meatballs last night so we had a bit of as Asian-themed smorgasbord for dinner with some sauteed baby bok choy and shitake mushrooms. That was a much bigger cook-up than I like to do on a work night but it kept me moving instead of sitting my tired self on the sofa. Since I'm still recovering from my Sunday hike, my only "exercise" was my Nutritious Movement advent but I upped my movement just by NOT caving in to the urge to do nothing. If anybody's interested, here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/nutritiousmovement/. I'm really liking Katy Bowman's book, "Move Your DNA"; it makes so much sense! 

I broke my gum-after-lunch habit after my first W30. It was one of the things that I had never considered being not such a good choice but when Melissa talked about it and mentioned that the ingredients were not the best, I saw the light. Good for you finding a substitute. Also, good for you and @Shosh2015 for being strong and passing up the sweets! My husband wanted to bake (frozen pre-made) chocolate chip cookies Sunday night and I told him nuh-uh! I wasn't sure I could resist the smell of warm (filled with crappy ingredients) cookies but then I felt bad about it and told him to go ahead. It's my choice to eat this way and he shouldn't be punished because I wasn't sure if I could stick to my guns in the face of warm cookies. Thankfully he decided to hold off anyway so I wasn't put to the test, especially when I was tired and sore. I made homemade biscuits for him Saturday morning so it's not like he was suffering too much! I bet I'm the only person that kicked off their W30 by making biscuits from scratch! Making...not eating:D

Hi there @Elizabeth33 , welcome to the club! I nodded my head in understanding to so much of what you wrote. The sugar dragon is a fierce beast, I know. Go, Dragonslayer, go! I hope your first day is great, all around. I am also letting go of coffee on this round. I like to be on again/off again with coffee, and right now I'm off. So I get to enjoy a variety of other things in my cup, and also be aware of my true energy levels, which is very handy. Plus, when we're in a caffeine naive state we can use it therapeutically ie headaches, or as a "recreational drug"!  I too had a colonoscopy during my last W30, last December. I'm glad you're not letting it stop you! Someone gave me a tip about a compliant electrolyte supplement that looks good. I didn't use it, but thought it might come in handy:

https://www.amazon.com/LyteShow-Electrolyte-Concentrate-Rehydration-Additives/dp/B00EISFBYA/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_0?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00EISFBYA&pd_rd_r=T8791SSVHMP776GXBMS7&pd_rd_w=IjwtS&pd_rd_wg=shuTd&refRID=ZHDB7FVKWB5THB90R6CZ&th=1&pldnSite=1

@hollysmokes that is a big cook up for a weeknight and sounds delish - yay! Oh, you had asked about the lime-ginger mayo. I start with my usual mayo and added the lime zest/juice, and grated ginger until it tasted just right. I'm going to try using ACV next time. I like using lemon and dijon, but it would be fun to try something new. I'm a total lemonhead. I was disappointed that handle was taken on this board! The bok choy sounds good with both of those. I'm curious, too, if you have added your own twist to the wonton meatballs, or do you pretty much make them per the recipe? I find the wonton recipe pretty forgiving, and sometimes I use a lot more shitakes, cilantro, etc.. But for the shrimp, I love the recipe exactly as it is, and don't tweak it much at all. That garlic! Yum....

In other news, your conversations, Holly, about movement have inspired me, and I'm moving more. I also have a lot of (happy and excited) adrenaline right now because of house hunting, so I'm doing nervous little happy dances throughout the day. And conscious movement in the morning...but adding some fun here and there. Also stretching when I get out of bed like a cat. Cat's know what to do. Did you replace gum with anything in particular? Funny, a parallel reality: On Saturday night, after I escaped the farewell party treats, hubs and I settled in to watch a documentary, and he asked eagerly for the caramelized honey popcorn that is our occasional movie treat. I said the same thing as you Holly, not wanting that Temptation. He understood and supported me, devouring, instead, the pistachios we keep as pretty much the only snack food in the house. I abstained. 

@LauraP How is it going? I've been thinking a lot about self talk, and self kindness since I read your post yesterday. I was thinking about W30 experience as a drop of ink in a glass of water that is the whole life. I feel that way in just the first 4 days: that it is helping me move through the world less self-consciously, engaging in my life without that nagging voice...I haven't lost weight or inches yet, of course -- my attachment to that is the part of re-wiring my brain -- but my self esteem is notably shaped up. Do you feel that way? I'm curious what others here do, also, around changing the shaming self talk. When I was a pre-teen, saying hateful things aloud about my body, my mother would say, "It's not becoming of great spirits to say such things."  That was a gift that keeps giving. So I'm offering that here to all of us.

Also, I think I've found our house. And I'm getting a massage this afternoon. :D

Sorry so long, but one last thing: Last night I had a classic Whole30 dream of stepping through a party, reminding myself to behave on my W30, walking towards a buffet of ice cream, and digging in!! 

Cucumber popcicle anyone?? Mine got stuffed in the back of the refrigerator and now it’s frozen.

I will have to try the shrimp patties. Hopefully I will be not be taking too much out so that it’s just shrimp. Some of the recipes you guys have posted have looked absolutely scrumptious but by the time I remove the garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes and citrus there is not much left of the recipe. I am hoping one day I will be able to add these things back into my diet. 

I really admire those of you who have other family members that you cook for and you do noncompliant food. I don’t know if I’d be able to do that and I’m just very impressed of those who can. So very well done. 

@LadyLisbette Thank you so much for the link for the electrolytes. I’m going to also re-google whole 30 colonoscopy and look at the other recommendations.

@LauraP Thanks so much for reminding me about how I talk to myself. And I love what bit of you are saying on that. 

My sniffer seems to be on overdrive. Last night one of the neighbors was cooking something that smelled so good, and then this morning somebody was making something that drove me crazy and today I just keep getting different  whiffs of food. I don’t even know if it’s compliant or not I have no idea what it is but it’s like my nose is hyperactive. It is cracking me up I’m even smelling things I don’t want to smell.

Anyway today is going pretty well and I’ll give a full update. Thanks for all the support. Hope everyone else’s day is going great   

@Elizabeth33 You could omit the garlic and chives from the shrimp patties and add some ginger if that's something you can have; I think they'd still be delicious. I filed away an electrolyte drink from wllnessmama.com for the time when I get my (belated) colonoscopy. It sounds pretty do-able if you're so inclined but no grape juice allowed before a 'scope as it turns your insides purple:

Natural Sports Electrolyte Drink

1 quart of liquid (options: green tea, herbal teas, coconut water, plain water, etc.)

⅛-¼ teaspoon high quality salt (or more if needed)

1 teaspoon calcium magnesium powder, like Natural Calm

¼ cup or more of juice (optional) - can use grape, apple, lemon, lime, pineapple, etc.

1-2 TBSP sweetener (optional) - can use honey, stevia, etc. I suggest brewing stevia leaf into the base liquid for the most natural option.

Brew tea if using, or slightly warm base liquid.
Add sea salt and calcium magnesium to mix.
Add juice and sweetener if using and mix or shake well.
Cool and store in fridge until ready to use.
Will last up to four days in fridge, but I (wellnessmama) prefer to make as needed.

1 hour ago, LadyLisbette said:

"It's not becoming of great spirits to say such things."

Thank you (and your mother) for that gift. A house! Your new home! How exciting! And a massage; how fabulous and well deserved. 

Day #4 going strong. Today was harder-stronger cravings for sweets but I think it’s the lingering cold, fatigue &, returned to CrossFit yesterday, so being sore! Basically I’ll use any excuse to crave &, historically, eat sweets but it was another clean day. I know the cravings continue to dissipate just gotta hold on! Thanks gang! 

Go @Shosh2015! I start off in the morning feeling great and strong but by the time I get home in the afternoon I feel whiney (and wine-y) because I'm tired. Yesterday I did my movement advent almost as soon as I got home. The theme this year is Movement "Rocks" so I took my rock (literally) out for a 20 minute walk and felt so much better afterwards. I don't know if it was the cold air (it was around 40 and dismally gray) or just getting moving or the fact that I have a rock buddy :lol: but I felt so much better afterwards and it helped work out some of the soreness from my overly ambitious walk/hike on Sunday. I didn't snack and didn't even give a glass of wine another thought. I did forget about my second helping of collagen peptides, though, so I need to find a vehicle for them in the afternoon. Day 4- done!

I made tostones for dinner last night and used them as a base for tiny tostadas so it felt like a delicious treat. Of course, I didn't have any cheese or sour cream and only missed it a tiny bit. Scotch eggs for breakfast this morning with mayo/Dijon spread, a few cherry tomatoes and a handful of berries so I'm off to a good start today. I need more vegetables. Since tonight will be leftover Asian smorgasbord, I'm think I'll do a nice big stir-fry of mixed vegetables to go with it.

How's everybody doing template-wise? I know the recommendation is for a serving of carb-dense veg per day but I've found that I don't "need" it and the number of servings I was having had started to creep up. So far, I've had some butternut squash on Monday and the tostones last night so I'm heading in the right direction, I think, and my portion control is better as well.

I guess I need to start thinking about meals for next week. It's supposed to be cold and rainy all weekend then hard freeze Sunday night just to make the drive to work Monday more interesting. Maybe a nice pot of chili...

@hollysmokes thank for the that recipe. 

@Shosh2015 great on staying clean. That awesome. 

@LadyLisbette thank you for the link as well. 

I am on Day 3 now. I slept great yesterday but today was awful. My upstairs neighbors decided to make a lot of noise on and off until 1am. By then my body went into overdrive and I tossed and turned all night. The sleep I did get was very restless. I also have major stresses that I am sure attributed to the bad sleep. I did get in a walk last night at 11:30pm trying to extrovert myself so I could fall asleep and did some journaling. It helped but not enough to get to sleep over the noise. 

The cherry on top is that I left early to get to work so I could spend an hour trying to contact Medical so I didn’t have to do it at work. They are closed in mourning for President Bush. Now I have an hour to kill in the car until I work in an hour.

Have a great day everyone. :huh:

My sugar dragon is really yanking my chain today. It says, "Your afternoon job cancelled. Get some candy and go to the movies to have diet coke and popcorn as well. Just chill and enjoy the day eating what you want. Your colonoscopy is tomorrow what the hell." I am ignoring is but all I am saying is it's loud.

I am going to get what ever supplies I need for tomorrow. My job for that day has also unfortunately cancelled. I will just do some catch up things at home or maybe got to a class and get caught up on some things. That of course will be in the morning. Not sure how energetic I will be in the afternoon.

@Elizabeth33 Hang in there! You're worth this and you can do it! 

Remind yourself of your goals (they're wonderful goals!) and maybe find a ritual that works for you when these types of things happen. Maybe go for a walk in a nearby park? Take a nice bubble bath and listen to music? Join your local library and wander the aisles looking for a new book to read? 

I love the outdoors so I usually do something to get outside. It does wonders for your mental health and is a lovely distraction!

Anyway, hang in there and let us know how it goes! We're here to support you! 

Thanks everyone for the recipes you're sharing. I definitely have a few earmarked to try!

@hollysmokes I'm honestly not doing so great on the template this round. That's something I want to improve upon in the coming weeks. I definitely want to be eating more vegetables, particularly leafy greens, and to cut back on the starchy vegetables. There have been days when I've had potatoes for every meal. Oops! I did have a nice stir fry last night though so that helps. I need more of those! 

On the other hand, I've been doing GREAT with staying active! :-) 

Overall, things are going well for me. I'm on Day 10! Where did the time go? LOL. Since my mini breakdown last week (thank you again for the kind words of encouragement and for helping me generate some ideas), I've been doing pretty well. This is starting to feel like a routine. 

I'm not gonna lie though, I miss the convenience of the Standard American Diet. Lucky Charms are so much easier (and delicious, thank you very much) compared to a template breakfast. Guh! That is still my hardest struggle. 

Anyway, I wish all of you the best! Stay strong! 

Thanks @kirbz for the ideas. 

@hollysmokes my template is doing good. I know generally how much protein I can eat so when I prep I just portion it out to that size. I try to fill my plate with veggies and do about 1/4-1/3 of that in starchy veggies and add the fat. Although I did not bring enough food with me today so I had dinner early when I got home. Since I have to stop eating by midnight and can't eat an actual meal until sometime on Fri I am going to have a small meal again at some point. 

Today was a harder. I was more tried and just a little sick feeling and occasionally a little headachy. Very glad it is not the usual. Usually I am really not feeling well. I also had more cravings today but I was able to distract myself. 

Dinner was so good I did a shrimp almond paid thai type thing with some shirataki kinjac noodles (ingredients are complaint) with veggies. So good. Sauce was for a single serving and just seasoned to taste. I used almond butter, coconut aminos, fish sauce, didn't have any ginger so used compliant 5 Chinese spice and NomNom Paleo magic mushroom seasoning. Mixed it all together and heated it up to make it combine better. Here is her recipe https://nomnompaleo.com/post/105333542218/magic-mushroom-powder-diy-holiday-gift

Another day down and i will keep distracting myself from the cravings with are getting stronger. This is not unusual l for me so right on track B)

@Elizabeth33 I couldn't sleep last night, either. I'm waiting for the legendary W30 sleep...it must be right around the corner! The nervous euphoria of recent days reduced down to plain old nerves. I could tell at bedtime that I wasn't sleepy, ruminating away, but I didn't want to take anything besides valerian and that did nothing. I tossed and turned all night. Argh. Your pad thai sounds seriously delicious. It sounds like your template is working, so am I right to understand that the cravings are separate from feeling hungry? I'm struggling here a little bit, to @hollysmokes question...sometimes I'm hungry too soon, and wonder if I'm subconsciously under eating. Mind you, under eating is far from a specialty of mine, quite the contrary! Maybe I'm trying to stretch out the cooking...I am always sad when the tubs run empty. This morning I added a little more of each: protein, fat, veg and greens....and I was still hungry after a few hours. Maybe this is from eating 2x/day instead of 3...I've been intermittent fasting, eating lunch at 3 or 4 and not again until morning. I'm realizing as I type that I should let that go, and for a full week eat 3x/day, with the same plate size/template I've been doing and see if that's better. Today I was too busy to eat lunch, so I had an Rx bar for a snack, and ate dinner with my husband.... with that I'll start fresh tomorrow. Some times I think it's ok for me to eat twice per day but right now my system seems to need something else...

Holly, the tostones sound so, so good. I'll do a big shopping run tomorrow, and am excited to make tomato soup. Not sure what else, but for now there's a tub of roast cauli, and another one with brussels and a few yams too. Overall, I'm doing well. My brain is tired though...going to bed, to sleep per chance to dream. it's so nice to see all these posts at the end of the day.  Thanks y'all!

@LadyLisbette some of my cravings are because I am hungry but others are just the sugar dragon yanking my chain. If I feel like I can eat something I am not fond of then I am hungry. If I am only interested in a treat or something sweet and that is the only thing I want and I am not interested in anything else then I feel it is a craving. The first week I do eat more because of the transitioning. I have to be careful to not feed the dragon in other ways like too much fruit, nuts, or olives. I have never been able to get to the 3 meals a day and have had to do 4 because of my hypoglycemia. One day I hope to be able to get to just 3 a day. If you are truly hungry then eat your body needs it. Yes, try the 3 meals a day following the templates and see how it goes. 

welcome @Elizabeth33!

@LadyLisbette self talk is what I need to watch out the  most. Last night I had a conf. call with a group of peeps I trained in 2017 with to become an equus coach (life coaching w/horses as co- facilitators) and we are plqnning a reunion next yr. Was supposed to be june and now we are looking at October. I caught myself thinking "Yesasss! 3 more months to get my weight down and show them!" And "but its not about them or anybody else for that matter...it's about my self perception, what triggers me, the self talk and shame attached to the whole thing."... Right now I am once a day almost, doing that exercise to thank my body for allowing me to function in the world, treating it like a frenemy rather than enemy, and slowly accept where it is at right now. Then make some choices..baby steps.

One other thing I have been craving...for years...a good night of sleep. Besides mild sleep apnea (and no I won't use that machine ever again) I've heard that if my neck is less ... yes...fat, it will help. I read that one of the perks of the Whole30 is good sleep. Bam! last night was so much better than my usual regimen of waking up every hour on the hour, tossing and turning etc... I only woke up twice, and had long, fun, weird-but cool dreams... Dream on during the Whole30!

Elusive sleep. Me too. I've been doing a little better lately but last night I caved at 1130 (went to bed at 9 but woke up) and took a pill. It's the first time in weeks. I've been using a blend of bergamot and vetiver essential oil and that has helped me fall asleep but I don't stay asleep. Having a 15-lb cat announce his presence in bed a couple of times a night for a nap doesn't help but that's a different problem -_-. I apply the blend to the back of my neck and my palms so I can inhale it as well as absorb it and it really does help me get to sleep even when I wake up in the middle of the night. I also take magnesium every night. It's actually the only supplement I have that's compliant.

I had a late day at work yesterday but went home and did one of Katy Bowman's videos for abdominal mobility using a stability ball. It felt so good after sitting at a desk all day and had hips and shoulders included in it. Plus, I only fell off the ball once! Yep, poetry in motion! At least it was motion, though!

@LadyLisbette I've though about IF but really only wanted to do it for the convenience factor- one less meal to have to bring with me to work. I'm actually not sure I'd do well with it, though. The best I've felt is adhering to the template. No snacking required and no obsessing over whether I've brought enough food with me to work because, OH NO! I might get...hungry and what ever would I do? I'm way more in control and can always tell when I haven't fed myself well enough because then I do get hungry but not in a donut, ice cream, candy bar-to-get-me-through-the-afternoon kind of way. Let us know how it goes when you switch to 3-a-day.

@Shosh2015 how's Day 6 treating you? Are you doing anything fun on your birthday besides treating your body well? That's fun, too, you know! My husband's birthday is Monday. I'm thinking about making him a lasagna and trying to figure out how I can riff off of that for me but still make it delicious. I love cream sauce with Italian red gravy so I was thinking about making a cashew "cream" sauce and maybe adding some eggplant layers. He's an eggplant hater so I only eat it if I make something separate anyway. Here's my chance.

@kirbz I'm trying to up my vegetables, too. I usually have a breakfast casserole full of kale and whatever else I have laying around but have been trying to switch things up a bit and my vegetable consumption has suffered. I'm doing better today, though. I have unstuffed peppers (ground beef, onions & lots of peppers and tomato sauce from tomatoes out of our garden) and a big side of brussels sprouts with MJ's better butter. Dinner tonight will be the stir fry I didn't make last night.

@Elizabeth33 your pad thai does sound delicious. I should have gotten some shirataki noodles when I was at the Asian grocery the other day. Magic Mushroom powder is already on my radar; it's one of the reasons I went to the Asian market a couple of days ago. I had a hard time finding dried mushrooms that didn't have added sulfites, though. I almost gave up and finally found ONE pack that didn't. I'm planning on making it this weekend and have enough to send to various family members. I hope your day goes as well as possible today and you can reward yourself with something completely, compliantly delicious tonight. Let us know what you decided to use for your electrolyte drink.

1 hour ago, Laura P. said:

thank my body for allowing me to function in the world

Absolutely! After an injury that left my left arm paralyzed for a couple of months a couple of years ago (still with some deficits but working on it) I became even more thankful. It's the "little" things like being able to go to the bathroom yourself (or being able to go at all) and being able to bathe and dress yourself. I can walk to the parking garage pain-free and am able to take myself wherever I want to go. I am able to get my own groceries, fix my own meals and clean up my own dishes. I can see the beautiful sunrise I saw this morning and the beautiful moon with Venus nearby that I saw yesterday. The list is endless and priceless. Love your body with all of its lumps, bumps and warts.

@hollysmokes I'm excited to try the vetiver/bergamot combo for sleep, also the magnesium. Thanks for the tip! Have you ever had raw lasagna? I don't have a recipe, just a memory from 15 years ago, one I shared with a friend. It tasted and textured just like the real, pillowy, delicious dish. The cashew ricotta, the wide ribbon zuccini lasagna noodles, and a tangy tomato sauce that I suspect had sundred tomatoes, too...very delicious. Would that be to your husband's taste? Let us know what you dream up!

Yesterday's plan for 3 meals was a bust, but it was a tremendous day. We made an offer on the house in the morning which took through midday. We started the day with another viewing of the house, and then I went home and made a slightly larger plate of breakfast. I sat in a dream state while I ate and enjoyed it! Later...after all the paperwork on the offer I drove 45 minutes to town to do 9 errands for home and business, with the intention of grabbing a compliant lunch...but I had so much momentum I couldn't bear to stop. It was another Rx bar snack to keep me from poorer decisions. That got me through a very productive afternoon, but when I got home I was FAMISHED! Hubs was putting in a long day, too, and he got home very late just after I had everything unpacked. I steamed tamales for him, and for myself a lovely plate of cucumber spears wrapped in Costco organic sliced turkey breast (thanks @kirbz and @hollysmokes for the encouragement), a Mexicola avocado with edible skin from my local CSA, a pile of kalamata olives, and a dollop of mayo to dredge the wraps in. It didn't look like much food, but was tasty and filling. Win!

It's nice to have the larder stocked up again. I guess this region of the country is not supporting all of the wonderful things mentioned from Costco, but I will get lots of that turkey in the future. Speaking of future, there is a cook up on the horizon: tomato soup and Italian meatballs, and his and hers chili, yep, I'm finally going to divide a nice big batch of chili and put beans in his, and yams in mine. Being a creature of habit, I'll keep myself stocked in a steady rotation of romanesco, cauliflower, brussels, and nice organic greens from my local grocer, and crisp cucumbers and peppers to go with them. I don't mind a little monotony, it's like my security blanket. I learned something on this round...leftover steamed or roast veg are really not bad in a salad, and are easier on my GI. Does anyone else do that?

I'm excited to not just slay December, and what a fine job we are all doing there! But also go into the new year, and a new home with Whole30 habits and momentum. A fresh start! In years gone by when I was a <whisper> smoker, I noticed it was easier to quit when I moved. Fresh slate. I'm planning to do that on this move, up my rate of compliance all year long. Holly you inspire me on that note among others!

Happy Friday @LadyLisbette! I'm so excited for you about the new house. Is it going to have a space for yoga/workouts? And an extra freezer? Meal-wise, sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do. You remained complaint and were crazy productive! I've never heard of a Mexicola avocado and I'm intrigued. You get to eat the skin! Does it still have a big pit? Your wraps sound good, too; I'll have to check out the sliced turkey breast next time I go to Costco. I like to wrap up a pickle; cukes don't always agree with me. I have done roasted vegetables in my salads and I like them but haven't done it recently. A couple of months ago I had raw broccoli and cherry tomatoes for lunch and dinner a couple of days in a row and my system let me know that was NOT a wise choice. 

HA! My husband wouldn't touch a raw lasagna with a 10-foot pole! I was thinking about making a conventional lasagna for him since he's been deprived for a few years now. I'll make a second one for me with eggplant, maybe some butternut squash? (I still have 2!) and the cashew "ricotta" with some spinach mixed in with it. I'm kind of excited about this creation; I'll let you know what it winds up being and how it comes out. You mentioned Kalamata olives and that made me think I might be able to turn my lasagna into a puttanesca kinda thing with some capers, olives and pepper flakes. That might be pretty tasty with the eggplant and I can try to slice the butternuts in thin planks with my mandolin (and a kevlar glove). Thanks for the inspiration; I think I have a plan now. His birthday is Monday so I guess I'll be putting these together as part of my cook up on Sunday. 

I've noticed from other comments that what's available at Costco differs regionally. I was really disappointed that mine doesn't carry squatty potty's any more. I got on their website and found the one I wanted so it's still my week 1 W30 present to myself. I've been using the collagen peptides, too, so I guess I'm being good to my gut this go-'round. I'm feeling the nutritious movement love, too; it feels like a fresh start so I know what you mean. I got a newsletter from a local small business owner this morning and I thought I'd share some of his thoughts; they seem appropriate:

My life quest is to narrow the chasm that exists between my intentions and my actions.  I have learned that overwhelming projects are actually a series of many small projects done in the correct order. 

8 hours ago, hollysmokes said:

I have learned that overwhelming projects are actually a series of many small projects done in the correct order.

This is the story of my life at this exact moment! For example, since I posted this morning, we got a counter offer and accepted it! Ha. One foot in front of the other. Thank you!

While we are down-scaling to a two bedroom from a three, there is a ton more space, and yes, plenty of room for yoga, exercise, and YES a deep freezer too!! It might be a while before I get a deep freezer, and I will start by querying my CSA pals about local meat...but still...Yippee! Thank you for sharing the joy, @hollysmokes! While we were waiting for a response to our initial offer today, I planted my feet in the ground at work, and applied laser FOCUS to my work. My co-workers were just being their merry, lovely selves, but I got so annoyed! So tense! I figured it was anxiety about the house, and by the end of the day it occurred to me that another name for my feelings might be KILL ALL THINGS. Okay, I get it, I never felt that before, but that must be it, or, both. Another sign post to eat more!

This was my first time with Mexicolas: when you shake them, the pit rattles around in there. The pit is a little smaller than usual. You wait until they are very, very soft, and then, yes, you can eat the skin, which is more tender than a grape skin! I had to scrape a little of the pit's skin off the flesh of the avo, but it was really good, and I'll look forward to the next time I can get them.

Ill bet you make your own pickles, don't you? That sounds good, I'll have to get some. Your lasagnas, both of them sound so good! And a puttanesca twist on that sauce is making my mouth water, and I just ate dinner!

Are you feeling lighter in your body at this point? I'll bet you are with all that great movement, and strolls with you pet rock! = ) Was it a good week overall? I managed to get in 20 minutes of yoga every day, so that is something.

Happy weekend to you, and all of our gang! @Elizabeth33 how are you feeling? I trust all went well...write when you can!

Happy Birthday @Shosh2015!

@kirbz, I noticed on your log that you mentioned making sweet potato fries in your air fryer. How do you like the air fryer and do you use it for anything else besides fries? My husband is dying for one and I haven't wanted to invest in another appliance. His birthday is Monday, though, and our Costco has one on sale so I'm thinking I should get him one. 

@LadyLisbette huge congratulations to you and your hubs! The biggest hurdle is over now it's just all the pain in the butt stuff. And packing^_^. Stress+Hunger=Kill All The Things, for sure! So good that you were able to get in yoga sessions every day even with all you had going on. And, yes, I am feeling lighter and more flexible, aligned and stronger. Wins all around! I actually have two pet rocks but one is quickly becoming my favorite so I'm thinking that I should set the other one free:P. I do make my own pickles, usually fermented but occasionally some vinegar pickles, too. When I had cucumbers coming out of my you-know-what this summer I got to do lots of experimenting and have found that plain old Kosher dills are my favorite. I have a recipe for a refrigerator fermented pickle that is easy and delicious so I tried to adapt it for some different flavors but it was an epic fail. They got mushy plus I didn't like the flavor profile but the good thing is that all it cost me was some sea salt. It just hurt my soul to dump them! I need to go back and look at my notes to figure out what went wrong with the texture. I still have LOTS of Kosher dills, though. One of the variations I made on the Kosher dills was a spicy one. I added a couple of jalapeños but it wasn't spicy enough so I added a couple more and that really lit them up! They got scarfed down at Hoedown and I have a friend that keeps asking for more so I guess some of my experimenting was a success. Cukes are actually one of the more challenging ferments.

Sleep, both quantity and quality, is on my radar for this W30 and I'm hoping movement helps. I always hope to sleep in a bit on the weekends but it rarely happens. Katy Bowman mentioned that going to bed early was just sleeping in on the front side. Yeah! Sometimes all it takes is a different perspective. I went to bed at 845 last night so I was Ok with waking up at my usual 530 this morning. The added benefit was that I got to watch the gray, drippy day emerge from the night and it's beautiful and misty-looking outside. I probably won't think it's so beautiful when it turns to sleet later today and I'm driving in it but it'll be fine. I got more meat on sale that I need to pick up and discovered a tea and herb shop on the other side of town that I can't wait to check out. 

One week down! Happy Day 8!

@hollysmokes Our air fryer is a pretty recent purchase. We also bought it on sale at Costco. Those fries were honestly the first thing I’ve eaten from the air fryer. But my fiancé uses it almost every day. Much of what he cooks are frozen items that are not compliant for Whole30 (like egg rolls and mini tacos). But he’s also made “fried” chicken and a variety of other things. 

So there you have it. I’m not sure how much I’ll use it for Whole30 but my fiancé uses it almost daily for non-Whole30 stuff! 

@hollysmokes so great on your work exercising. I ended up going off because of logistics of getting it done. When I came to they handed me juice and a cracker. I didn’t even think about it I was so groggy. Also my stomach has been off. It is not wanting anything but rice. I am introducing more protein and veggies today. I am interested in trying the tostines sometime. They sound good. Glad your doing so well after your injury. Yes I do need to be more thankful for my body and treat it better physically and mentally. Love that quote. Thank you. 

@LadyLisbette  I will need to try putting some of my leftover veggies in my salad. What an exciting time for you with the new house. So great also on getting the yoga in for the week both of you women are such great inspiration 

(not sure why I am not getting their names pulled up here?)

@Shosh2015 Happy Birthday 

@Kirbz I have never tried the airfryer but I am very interested in the Ninja pressure cooker and crisper. I think that will be one of my celebration gifts. Not this round but maybe for the next round I do after this one. 

I feel I can restart tomorrow. My stomach seems to be handling the protein and veggies more now so that is good. The colonoscopy went very well. I almost puked up the drink though. I had to go slower than the recommendation so I could keep it down. Thur was hard. I didn’t feel good most of the day and had to add somethings to the mix and I felt better. I didn’t each much yesterday. The result was good. The colon looked good and only 1 very small polyp was removed. They didn’t tell me I had Hemorrhoids (which I didn’t know) but found out in the paper work so I will need to call on Mon for more info.

I went shopping this morning for the week. I am thinking some cauliflower steaks with some walnuts or one of these, I haven’t decided yet:

http://livinthecrunchylife.blogspot.com/2013/10/roasted-cauliflower-steaks-with.html?m=1 or https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thekitchn.com/recipe-cauliflower-steaks-recipes-from-the-kitchn-195541

Now what should I do with the Brussels sprouts and the Swiss chard? Trying to stay away from vinegar with an exception of some apple cider. So my usual brussels sprouts with bacon is kind of off the table this time. So we’ll have to figure out something else. Usually I just sauté up this was charged with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. But I might check out some recipes and see if there’s something else I can do with it.And I’m open to suggestions.

I pretty much had a very chill last two days and did what I’ve always wanted to do which was just spend the day in bed and watch TV. So I gave myself that. Friday I did get into very good walks. And I’m pretty concise impressed considering I went under anesthesia yesterday. It did feel good to get out and extrovert myself though. I also did some straightening around the house which was needed. I have been dealing with a grumpy old man aka my brother the last few days. He hasn’t been sleeping well because of the neighbors and other issues so I have been trying to give him a wide berth. 

Archived