Kombucha w evaporated cane sugar!

Ksandler

So.....i got all excited that i could have kombucha (mostly because it's a thing i can sip at my coffee shop into the evening to replace beer/wine etc while i work) took a few sips and couldn't believe how sweet it was...i'm only on day 8, don't think my palate has changed THAT much yet...asked and the barista told me it had no added sugar - i thought they made it here. but though i'd also check here, went through some threads, and got really confused about the process of fermentation/sugar adding: i finally asked the barista to take a pic of the label for me...posting the label here: it says organic evaporated cane sugar - but 18g of sugar in the ingredient list...so i'm guessing this is a no? IMG_1706.thumb.JPG.a4c615e0848693b1d0d76b27c4b32a23.JPG

sigh. 

• Moderators

You could contact the company and ask them if they put the sugar in before or after the first fermentation... the only way it is compliant for the program is if any sugar/sweetener is put in BEFORE the first fermentation.  Anything added after the first fermentation has to be Whole30 approved (fruit, fruit juice etc... is fine).

The way this label looks, I 'assume' the sugar is before the first fermentation but you should really contact them and check because for instance, a GT Dave's Kombucha shows 8g of sugar which is more what we would expect if there was nothing added after the fermentation.

thank you! will do!

final question: would this fall into the "i did everything i could" category of not starting over that's on the website? because i went thru all the ingredients w the barista and asked if there was no added sugar and he said no? (realistically, i had two sips so probably wouldn't start over anyway), but just curious!)

thank you so much! you guys are so so awesome on this forum! 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ksandler said:

thank you! will do!

final question: would this fall into the "i did everything i could" category of not starting over that's on the website? because i went thru all the ingredients w the barista and asked if there was no added sugar and he said no? (realistically, i had two sips so probably wouldn't start over anyway), but just curious!)

thank you so much! you guys are so so awesome on this forum! 

I would say yes on the condition that as you said, you didn't keep drinking it.  If you had asked, discovered how sweet it was, read the label, realized it might be a no and then kept drinking it, that would not be an 'everything you could do'.  If you stopped after two sips, asked again, checked the label and then didn't have more until a determination could be made, that seems reasonable right?

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 3:25 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

You could contact the company and ask them if they put the sugar in before or after the first fermentation... the only way it is compliant for the program is if any sugar/sweetener is put in BEFORE the first fermentation.  Anything added after the first fermentation has to be Whole30 approved (fruit, fruit juice etc... is fine).

The way this label looks, I 'assume' the sugar is before the first fermentation but you should really contact them and check because for instance, a GT Dave's Kombucha shows 8g of sugar which is more what we would expect if there was nothing added after the fermentation.

Hi, I thought the official stance was that if it was listed in the ingredients, it wasn't compliant ("So I rely on the black-and-white rules. If there is sugar on the label, it’s out. Period. Which means Health-Ade is out, but GTs is in. Is this fair? No. Is it the best way I know to implement the Whole30 rules? Yes.")?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rrsu said:

Hi, I thought the official stance was that if it was listed in the ingredients, it wasn't compliant ("So I rely on the black-and-white rules. If there is sugar on the label, it’s out. Period. Which means Health-Ade is out, but GTs is in. Is this fair? No. Is it the best way I know to implement the Whole30 rules? Yes.")?

yes, if the only thing was the label then you would assume that it was out due to the sugar content.  If you went to the trouble to contact the company and find out, you would then be making a determination based on additional information.  Much like if you wanted to buy an artisanal kombucha at a vendor fair and there was no ingredient list so you asked them.  

Archived