New to Whole 30

RobinM

Hello, All!,

I'm Robin and am a total newbie to Whole 30. I'm planning on starting on January 2nd. (not the 1st as I had originally planned as our company won't be leaving until that afternoon).

I'm four years post-op gastric bypass and have started developing some issues that I believe are food related. I was diagnosed with post operative malabsorption earlier this year. I know that I have a lot of inflammation and am planning on using the no egg or nightshade plan.  

I'm already in the process of ridding my house of non compliant foods. Any and all advice will be gratefully received!! 

• Moderators

Hi, @RobinM. There have been other people who have done Whole30 post-gastric bypass, you can google Whole30 gastric bypass or Whole30 weight loss surgery to find more of those discussions if you want.

One thing to keep in mind -- we really make a big deal about the meal template and eating three meals a day, no snacks. This is a recommendation, not a rule, and while it makes sense for the majority of people doing Whole30, it doesn't work as well for people who have had something like gastric bypass where you may not be able to eat that volume of food at one time. Eat amounts that make sense for you at each meal, and as many meals as you need throughout the day -- just be sure you're getting vegetables, protein, and fat at each meal, and try to avoid "grazing" -- in other words, plate up a (small) meal if you're hungry, don't just grab a handful of food every time you walk through the kitchen. If your doctor has you taking supplements, you can look for versions of those that meet Whole30 rules, but if that's not available, it's still best to follow your doctor's orders for that, or work with them if you decide you don't want to take them so that they can run any tests or keep an eye on things to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.

Hi, Shannon!

I've been reading up on some of the weight loss surgery posts to see if I could do Whole 30. Grazing isn't typically and issue, but getting in enough calories is. I tend not to be hungry. That being said, I also tend to be somewhat dependent on protein shakes and protein bars for meals. I'm hoping that after sticking to Whole 30 for the month, that I will stop doing that and be eating and enjoying eating "real" food! I know that I will be happy not hearing lectures from my husband about eating better! I also believe that the whey protein and the artificial sweeteners in both the shakes and bars may be part of my problems. I'm actually looking forward to not being dependent on them! I've also started saving recipes from the three Whole 30 books I have, some which look so good that they'll probably be fixed during the next month before I start 'just because'! 

God luck!  Another great resource for delicious Whole 30 recipes is Mel Joulwan's Well Fed: https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/

She actually created the recipes in "It Starts With Food", and her web site has probably hundreds of fantastic recipes, most of which are Whole 30 compliant - and she is very good about specifying whether they are or not.  I've had people suggest I become a chef and open a restaurant after having a Mel recipe I made for dinner :) 

Archived