Day 27: To Reintro or go AIP?

NSC2018

I'm on Day 27 and unfortunately am not feeling as good as i was last week. I thought the Tiger's Blood was coming, i had some consistent energy, minimal cravings and my congestion and eczema were seemingly subsiding. Somewhere around the end of week 3 the eczema flared up with vengeance and has spread to places ive never had it before. i am BEYOND frustrated as one of the main reasons I started a Whole 30 was to hopefully relieve or diminish the eczema. (I typically see flare up seasonally, during the cold dry winter months. however this year it began late summer and has not stopped). I am also much more tired than i was last week (although poor sleep may be to blame as my toddler has had some inconsistencies in her sleep schedule) andddd I'm having some issues with constipation. I took some magnesium after several days without a BM and that helped a bit but I still feel like something is off.

anywho... with that laundry list, but eczema being the primary target, what do i do from here? Ive seen several threads referencing an AIP program helping with the elimination and control of eczema. I thought dairy or gluten was my culprit, but after 27 days without it and it getting worse.... im starting to think its something else. whats the best plan of action.... should i reintroduce on the normal schedule and see what happens? Then decide on maybe doing an AIP week or 2 to see if that helps with the eczema?? Should i test out AIP first then do reintros of EVERYTHING after that is over?  Im SOOO sick of itching and the redness/dry/flaking is now migrating to visible places :(  its diminishing the NSVs i do have!

aside from dietary solutions.. anyone have any supplements or other recommendations for reducing eczema flares? aside from the obvious hydrocortisone cream

Since i know you will ask.... a few sample days. I was able to go without snacks for quite a few days in the first and 2nd week but was having to go longer between meals due to scheduling the past week resulting in some snacking. 

Day 23:

B: 3 eggs, 1 strip bacon, 1/2 sweet potato, handful of kale, pico de gallo

medium coffee with Nutpods creamer

L: Mexican steak salad: steak, lettuce, pico, pineapple sales, guacamole

D: Shredded Chicken, 1/2 bag coleslaw mix, sliced almonds, greek vinegarette (homemade)

Snack: RX Bar and Tuna Salad

Day 25:

B: Leftover Zoodles & chicken Pad Thai over bed of spinach and 2 hard boiled eggs

medium coffee with Nutpods creamer

L: Fajita Chicken Salad over coleslaw mix with 1/4 cup guac

D: Pork Jalapeno burger w/ compliant BBQ, roasted broccoli w/ ghee

S: Beef Thins

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I suffer from psoriasis and have been able to use diet to keep it under control in the past. Lately, work/life/everything is so stressful that compliance is practically impossible. However, I do know this: very often, sensitivities to eggs are connected specifically to skin conditions. Rather than go all in on AIP (which makes Whole 30 feel like a walk in the park), try eliminating eggs for three weeks while maintaining your Whole 30 lifestyle for a bit longer.  I am able to eat them now, but I have found that relying on them daily is overdoing it - for me. Try and see what works for you. 

I’ve lived AIP for over a year.  I was determined to feel better from my autoimmune thyroid issues.  Come to find out (through trial and error), I was probably getting some version of arthritis too, because after pulling dairy, nuts and nighshades out, all of those mysterious aches and pains I had chalked up to aging, went away.  They come back with a vengeance if I get sloppy with my diet (hence my new round after the holidays).  Is the excema an autoimmune issue?  If so, I def. recommend AIP.  At a minimum, pull the big culprits: nuts, eggs & nightshades.

Your constipation issues may be caused by nuts - they mess with my digestion something fierce!

Hi! Have you ever looked into doing something with your gut biome? I have been reading some recent publications on research being done that suggests that a lot of skin irritations have a LOT to do with an inbalance in your gut biome, such as a high rate of yeast or an off-ratio of good and bad bacteria. Perhaps look into concepts of leaky gut or ways to balance your gut biome before trying a new diet? The downfall of it being your gut is that it ultimately will matter less about what you eat if your body is not able to process it correctly anyhow!

Have you been doing anything new with skin care lately? Maybe you've become more active and your washing routine has changed even in a minor way. I have eczema that appears seasonally and with severe stress, and have found that using lotions or products with fragrance and/or lanolin makes my eczema worse, even if it is the last ingredient. If possible, I try to shower at night so that I can use a good lotion and let my skin relax. Oat is supposed to be really good for eczema.

I found out I was allergic to coconut by having eczema all over my arms where I had been applying coconut lime lotion. 

Archived