Gum on whole30

Melninja

Hi there, 

I’m planning on starting my first Whole 30 in January. I noticed gum isn’t allowed, which isn’t usually a problem for me. However, I have to fly on business travel during my whole 30 and I usually chew gum when the plane takes off and lands as it helps my ears. Is this not allowed? If not, what suggestions would you have for me?

thanks!

• Moderators

No, gum wouldn't be allowed even for this. If you Google how to relieve ear pressure while flying, or how to prevent ears popping, there are things you can do other than chew gum. Yawning can help relieve the pressure, there are some ear plugs that are supposed to help, and there's a method where you hold your nose and try to breathe out through it while holding it that can help relieve the pressure.

If this is something more than just the usual discomfort, if there's some kind of medical issue that makes this particularly painful or dangerous for you for instance, then talk to your doctor about your options and follow their advice.

I've had several ear surgeries since I was an infant and my ears can't equalize pressure on their own. 

Yawning (dropping the back of your jaw and making a conscious effort to lift your hard palate) is significantly safer than holding your nose closed and trying to breathe out (too much force can rupture your ear drums). 

And Earplanes. You can get them at CVS or pretty much any other drug store.

• 2 weeks later...

The beef jerky idea is interesting, other foods that would cause lots of chewing/swallowing that are W30 compliant could be raw veggies. Like you, I used to chew gum for my ears when I flew, but have given up gum completely since my first W30. I actually find now that drinking small sips of water while taking off is very helpful.

Archived