Oh boy, I work in a restaurant!

kaybee

Yes, of course I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I think I'm in for more than I bargained for. My job, my career, my life, is food. Delicious, creative, very satisfying food. And wonderful wines. Yes, I work in a restaurant. In fact I own it (with my hubs). First 2.5 days of w30 were wonderful and I felt pretty good! Because i was home. But...tonight I went to work, just for a few hours, just to help out a bit. I ate a delicious and filling compliant meal beforehand (at about 5pm), hoping that would help, but it didn't. Carrying those amazing looking and smelling plates of non-compliant food was just torture. Luscious desserts. Don't even get me started on the wine. And I was only there for a short bit! I came home in a bummed out mood and had some squash, and bacon, and then a coconut lara bar. in short, nothing was satisfying me, emotionally, I'm guessing. It made me realize that I need a coping strategy above and beyond normal if I'm going to make it the full 30. Obviously I can't avoid work, nor do I want to. Yes, I can have them make me whatever I want, technically, but I know that what I require isn't necessary handy (for example, our delicious roasted chicken is prepped with butter under the skin. It's wonderful) And i dont want to be a pain to the chefs at the end of their long busy night. I'm going to bring in a jar of ghee, so that will open up some options, I'm hoping. But I suspect the key to getting through this month will be mental. I need to get my mind into a place where I recognize what's going on and then let it go. I can't be bummed out every night, feeling like "well, I guess I'll just go home and have some kale, whoop-dee-doo".

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice? Sorry for the long whine... (Mmm, wine! Sigh...)

Yeah if you came home from a great restaurant and ate squash, bacon, and a Lara bar, that'd be a complete bummer. Ouch!

Any chance of doing some food prep at home using similar techniques to what you serve at the restaurant, but with compliant ingredients? So then you smell roasted chicken and then come home to some great compliant roasted chicken?

Can't help ya on the wine. I hate the stuff. I'd be happy to give you my sulfite horrific headache, dry vocal chords (I'm a soprano so this is not good!!!!!!), and foggy brain if it'd help you hate it too! Heehee

Hang in there. Your restaurant sounds LOVELY. You are stronger than you feel. For realz.

You sound hungry, really hungry! Food envy is always higher if you're hungry.

Have a chat with the chefs, print out a couple of the PDFs for them to keep, see if there's anything easy they can come up with (chefs can kick ass with eggs). They work for you, you pay them, they'll rise to the challenge :) You might find something they can make earlier in the night that you can eat later, if you're going for easy. Maybe add a Whole30 option to your daily menu? Sounds like the chicken would be, if it was made with ghee.

I'm loving my homemade pesto (made with macadamia nuts and not too much garlic - to eat at work), spicy red curry and things cooked in duck fat.

count how many times you typed delicious in your post ;) You have an army of chefs at your disposal, use em :)

^

|

|

Thanks, ladies, for the advice. I feel better this morning (except for a lingering slight headache). I'm just going to have to deal, that's all. I do usually have food ready to eat at home, but it always feels like leftovers and never seems as appealing as it did when I first made it. Furthermore, I really shouldn't be eating when I get home at night, and its kind of too late to cook, it's typically close to midnight. I'm going to talk to our chef about it, as generally as I can so I don't sound like a crazy person. He's already given me some great prep tips. I just have to get my head around the fact that I will be serving food to people for the rest of the plan.

Oh, and PP? I'm not hungry, I just love food and love to eat and drink. I've certainly been known to eat, or continue eating, even when I'm full. That's why I'm here, so I start making better choices.

My family also owns a restaurant, where I work one day a week, in addition to my full time job... Dealing with awesome food all day, every day!!! I too love some incredible wine, and nothing is more fun than some amazing food/ wine pairings. (Currently thinking about getting my WSET level 2 certification) There is simply no way to explain to someone who doesn't live in a restaurant, what it is like to walk by that ladder rack 45 times and not 'sample'. I HEAR YA! My staff was down right offended that I refused to sample their lastest creations, as they were so accustomed to leaving me suprises on my desk. I have found that looking at the whole30 as an opportunity to take my creative cooking to the next level, and truely embrase the "challenge" part has helped me move along to some new and exciting ways to adore & prepare food. Sauce. Make some awesome sauces/dressings that are compliant. I love to dunk, and I am so much more satisfied when I have a sauce or dip that is flavor packed and knocks your socks off. If nothing else, know that this newbie is in the same canoe :)

Archived