Starting Whole30 Round 2 on 1/3!

Rachel Hall

Hello, 

I completed my first Whole30 last September as a self-imposed "challenge", but I'd like to do it again with a better mindset and a greater goal of improving my long-term health. However, I will be driving for 15 HOURS on Jan 1, so I'll be starting my Jan. Whole30 Journey a few days after most people. I will be following along with everyone's progress, and if anyone is in the same boat (wanting to start in Jan., but the Jan. 1 is not ideal), feel free to connect with me via this post! 

Thanks, 

Rachel H.

PS - I'm also within 1-1.5 years of graduating with my PhD, so I'm also open to any and all advice on how to deal with stress without comforting/suppressing it with food. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I’m also starting on Jan 3rd and I’m also 1.5 years away from completing my grad degree! I also have concerns about staying compliant with the stress of grad school. Maybe we can offer support to one another since our circumstances are similar! This will be my second try, but first round (I tried in 2015 and gave up half way through)

Hi @darrah.w.jones,

Small world! (And congrats - we're almost there!). My plan is to prep as much as possible on the weekends and to always keep a couple of compliant "go-to" meals available on the fly (e.g., freeze leftover chili to reheat in a pinch). I also got some Amazon gift cards for Christmas, so I'm going to treat myself and get some fancy spices and snacks through them. :) 

I'm going to try and check this thread every other day or so, so if you want to keep this conversation going or give me some of your tips (please!), feel free to respond whenever! 

Thanks, 

Rachel H.

Morning, all! Fellow Jan 3 start date here! This will be my sixth (I think?) Whole30. My first one was in September 2013 and man have things changed with the program! I haven't done one in over 2 years so I'm excited to see how this one is different!

My advice: don't overthink things. You can get overwhelmed with fancy recipes and crazy ingredients, but simple also works. You don't get an award for cooking a crazy meal that's compliant. But the Whole30 did make me more confident and adventurous in the kitchen. 

@pennylane14,

Thanks for the advice! I agree; I tend to try to take on too many new recipes all at once, so I try to limit myself to one or two new recipes a week, and use old "tried and true" or simple ingredient meals for the rest of my week. One super-easy meal I've found is salsa chicken on a sweet potato. You put some chicken breasts in a slow-cooker with a bell pepper, an onion, maybe some cumin, and some Whole30-compliant green salsa (I like Verdez brand), and then just put it on a baked sweet potato. Super easy and delicious!

Rachel

@Rachel Hall Omg, great recipe suggestion! Whole30 is what made me LOVE sweet potatoes.

How did everyone's first day go? I admit that I had a dull headache last night around 9 p.m., but also know that my few days before Whole30 were nothing but carbs carbs carbs. 

Meals yesterday:

M1: egg bake (eggs, mushrooms, sweet potato), coffee blended with coconut oil

M2: BOS (big ole salad) from Whole Foods: spinach, carrots, tomatoes, avocado mash, grilled chicken, olive oil dressing

Snack: two hard-boiled eggs

M3: butternut squash, chicken, dresses with Victoria tomato sauce (check labels!) and olive oil

Thanks! 

My day yesterday was okay; I've been sleeping in, so I didn't make a full breakfast. I also had a bit of a headache, but it was a pretty good first day anyway! 

Meals yesterday:

M1: banana, pistachios, and coffee

M2: beef chili with 1/2 an avocado - this recipe has lots of veggies! (http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-crockpot-chili-recipe/)

Snack: an apple and an Rx bar (blueberry)

M3: spicy turkey from the Whole30 cookbook and some brussel sprouts with ground mustard, basalmic vinegar, and some walnuts. I just used frozen brussel sprouts that you cook in the microwave - they don't taste as good as fresh ones, but they're really handy in a pinch! 

Today, I did a little better with breakfast; I started out my day with some shakshuka (Whole30 cookbook) and some coffee, and made enough to re-heat throughout the weekend. Hope everyone is having a good start! 

OK, those brussels sprouts sound delicious!

Sorry for being MIA--lost track of time, and honestly haven't had a lot to report. Luckily, my friends are used to me doing Whole30s so they just accept it when I tell them I'm on one. I've also been in a real nesting and burrowing mood in the new year so have been hanging out at home which makes it much easier to just eat what I've prepared.

Day 7 and feeling strong!

Archived