Don't over think this.

Robin Strathdee

• Moderators

No, it's not overthinking for that kind of question, especially at the beginning.  However, it's almost impossible to over eat fat on this program due to it's high satiety impact.

If a recipe is cooked with fat, remember that the fat is split between the portions so if you had 4 tablespoons of olive oil to roast a pan of veggies, you're not eating anywhere near too much fat when you use those veggies in portions over time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

There's no real issue... if the coffee beans are flavored in the package, they'll have natural and artificial flavors... these are not ideal, but because labelling laws mean they have to call out alcohol, soy, dairy, wheat and sugar, if none of those items are on the label, you're good to go.

You may want to do a bit of research about HOW your favorite brand of flavored coffee gets their flavors... natural and artificial flavors are born in a lab... it's not the best option but in my opinion, in one or two cups of coffee a day, it's not the end of the world and it's not going to affect your Whole30.

That said, I'm talking beans with flavor either whole beans or ground coffee.  I'm not talking about those International Delights powders that are basically like hot chocolate powder.  If that's the kind of 'coffee' you're referring to, then it's 100% a problem because those are just a chemistry experiment of awfulness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

There's no real issue... if the coffee beans are flavored in the package, they'll have natural and artificial flavors... these are not ideal, but because labelling laws mean they have to call out alcohol, soy, dairy, wheat and sugar, if none of those items are on the label, you're good to go.

You may want to do a bit of research about HOW your favorite brand of flavored coffee gets their flavors... natural and artificial flavors are born in a lab... it's not the best option but in my opinion, in one or two cups of coffee a day, it's not the end of the world and it's not going to affect your Whole30.

That said, I'm talking beans with flavor either whole beans or ground coffee.  I'm not talking about those International Delights powders that are basically like hot chocolate powder.  If that's the kind of 'coffee' you're referring to, then it's 100% a problem because those are just a chemistry experiment of awfulness.

That's really helpful, thanks!! And just so I'm not that person, I am definitely NOT drinking that powdered coffee gross-ness!

• 10 months later...

Hi! I'm on day 5 of my whole30, with the flu, and have been overthinking what I can or cannot take to help me get over the flu symptoms. I saw some suggestions for ginger tea and chicken soup. I could not fall asleep all day yesterday, despite trying really hard to...so I gave in and took Nyquil to help me sleep. I think I might just extent my 30 days to an extra week in the end since I'm still at the beginning of it to maybe make up for that. Anyways, I was also wondering about the sugar content in the type of foods we purchase. Are we looking for the sugar content that is listed in the nutrition facts? Because the approved coconut milk for whole30 has sugar listed in the nutrition facts, but is still said to be whole30 approved. If it lists sugar0g...is it still whole30 approved?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mimis said:

Hi! I'm on day 5 of my whole30, with the flu, and have been overthinking what I can or cannot take to help me get over the flu symptoms. I saw some suggestions for ginger tea and chicken soup. I could not fall asleep all day yesterday, despite trying really hard to...so I gave in and took Nyquil to help me sleep. I think I might just extent my 30 days to an extra week in the end since I'm still at the beginning of it to maybe make up for that. Anyways, I was also wondering about the sugar content in the type of foods we purchase. Are we looking for the sugar content that is listed in the nutrition facts? Because the approved coconut milk for whole30 has sugar listed in the nutrition facts, but is still said to be whole30 approved. If it lists sugar0g...is it still whole30 approved?

Sometimes you do have to take medicine. Extending your Whole30 is an excellent way to deal with this, and I hope you're feeling better.

You're looking for sugar in the actual ingredient list. Any plant-based foods have naturally occurring sugar, so coconut milk (and tomato paste, and even raw nuts) will have some grams of sugar. That's not important. What's important is the ingredient list. If the ingredient list contains any sugar, honey, stevia, or any other sweetener (or any other off-plan ingredient like sulfites or carrageenan), it is not allowed. It is possible for food manufacturers to make a food that lists sugar in the ingredients but has 0 grams in the nutrition info -- they can make the servings small enough to get the number down to 0 -- but because there is sugar in the ingredients list, it would still not be okay for Whole30. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Yvette Zustra said:

Hi All, is a breakfast bowl SWYPO? I made a scrambled egg with mashed banana, topped with sliced apple and almond butter. I found it on a Whole30 recipe site and the support group (used loosely) is saying it's SWYPO. Please help!! This is only my first round.  recipe link below

http://bravoforpaleo.com/2015/12/30/whole30-breakfast-bowl/

This would not be a good choice for your whole30.  It's extremely fruit heavy, one egg is not nearly enough (as eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping) and it has no veggies.

Just now, SugarcubeOD said:

This would not be a good choice for your whole30.  It's extremely fruit heavy, one egg is not nearly enough (as eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping) and it has no veggies.

Oh I use 3 eggs. Sorry I wasn't specific! Is this considered SWYPO though?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Yvette Zustra said:

Oh I use 3 eggs. Sorry I wasn't specific! Is this considered SWYPO though?

Yes, it's basically the banana egg pancakes smashed up into a scramble but topped with all the same stuff as the pancakes so it would be a no.

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Yes, it's basically the banana egg pancakes smashed up into a scramble but topped with all the same stuff as the pancakes so it would be a no.

So frustrating when people have "WHOLE30" recipes that aren't compliant!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for the clarification :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Yvette Zustra said:

So frustrating when people have "WHOLE30" recipes that aren't compliant!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for the clarification :)

Yep!  People try and capitalize on a successful program - anything that seems 'too good to be true' probably is.  Especially things that don't fit the template like this bowl or things you'd really have to bend to fit the template :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Just posting to say thank you for this original post, OP, and thank you to whoever pinned it, and thank you to all folks who have added to it since! I really needed to hear it on this, my day six of second Whole30 because I am a card carrying overthinker and I want my second whole30 to be just as good for me as the first was.

I was actually feeling "bad" for having a really large salad for lunch - a coworker commented that it looked like I brought lunch for everyone and I was furiously re-reading my Whole30 rules and book and thinking, "but I'm doing the proportions they said!" This post brought me back down. Yeah, my salad looks giant compared to the ones you can get at fast food joints because it doesn't have yuck-o fillers and I need it to keep me satiated till dinner, so I don't graze like I normally do. So suck it, coworkers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2013 at 4:58 AM, wheresanita said:

Hey Amy,

Unfortunately hospitals are not bastions of healthy eating! I did a clinical rotation at a facility that had a McDonalds! In our busy unit we often do not get a full sit-down lunch break. Many people resort to the 'running to the break room and scoffing a pack of graham crackers an some peanut butter' a few times a day in lieu of a real meal. Hence my victory with my eggy/muffiny things :)

This is the whole truth. My fiancé might get Cheetos and a Dr. Pepper to make it through if anything at all. 8-12 hours with nothing to eat? I couldn’t do it. That’s why the people who do in order to keep the rest of us alive are truly a blessing. We are trying to think of Whole 30 compliant emergency foods that she can grab instead. I think trying those beef “granola bar” looking things off the approved company list might be a good idea before we start. It is still strange to me having a meat “granola bar” shaped emergency beef pack. I hope someone knows what I’m talking about. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2013 at 12:03 AM, Robin Strathdee said:

Please don't over think this. You don't have to address every food related issue you have, break every bad habit, and shun every food that gives you comfort to succeed with your Whole30.

Thank you and "I think I love you".  I read the 7 day guide.  Thought my head would explode.  I don't cook anywhere near as much as that! 

And - I wanted to start right away.  And then I read this quote.  Said to myself, "Self, hit the points and if it's boring, it's boring.  It's not like you were some Foodie to begin with!"

So I'm hitting the protein, veg & 1 added fat per meal.  If that means it's an Apple holding up my "added fat" in the form of some Almond Butter at lunch, well an Apple it is.  And I just got my "Whole 30 Fast & Easy" - that will help.  Pictures!  And a lot of the recipes sound very tasty.  So maybe I'll try to start actually cooking (meaning more than 3 ingredients at a time, even some spices!!!) a couple of times a week.  I think rather than look for lots of interest in my food, the key for me will be to keep busy.  Idle hands for me are what reach for unfortunate foods.

And I already know that I have an epic strength Sugar Dragon.  So the bananas are going to have to be purchased one at a time (the slightly brown loners are cheaper anyway), and a "serving" will have to be half a banana at a time!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/3/2013 at 9:03 PM, Robin Strathdee said:

Welcome all newcomers, welcome back vets, and for those of you who never left...welcome to this post.

I just wanted to pop in here and remind you all to take a deep breath before you dive into all the questions about what you can and can't have. The program guidelines are clear on what you can and can't have (grains, dairy, W30 muffins), but things get a little grey when people start talking about what you should and shouldn't have. Please don't over think think this. You don't have to address every food related issue you have, break every bad habit, and shun every food that gives you comfort to succeed with your Whole30. If you need to you can always extend or repeat the process, and things will get better each time you do. My advice to you is this:

• Stick to the rules like they are your port in a storm (really, they will become that).
  • Take the Moderators responses seriously (we know what we're talking about).
  • Take community members suggestions as advice from those who came before, but keep in mind they are not the rules and not the Mods. Everyone here is well-meaning, and everyone here wants to see you succeed, but everyone here is at a different place in this journey.
  • And finally, take comfort in these words (from Melissa Hartwig, on another forum post):

Here's the thing (and this is an interesting discussion)... there are Whole30 "rules," which are strict, clearly outlined, and very well defined. No grains - and here are all the things we consider grains. No dairy - and here are all the dairy items excluded. No Paleo-fied food choices, and here's what those look like.

Then, there are Whole30 suggestions for success. They're not part of the official rules, but they're things that we've seen really help (or harm) people as they move through the program. Fruit smoothies for breakfast - not a good idea. Skipping breakfast - not a good idea. Eating every two hours, all day - not a good idea. These things won't necessarily affect your Whole30 results (although they might), but if we can give you additional suggestions that will make your transition and your program easier and more effective, we're going to give them to you.

Keep Calm and Whole30 On.

I'm confused.  If there are things you shouldn't have while on Whole30, then why not just make it a rule that you can't have it?

On 1/29/2017 at 6:42 PM, Guadopt1997 said:

Is it overthinking to wonder whether if you have a recipe from the book for protein and another one for vegetable, both of which contain fat, that the fat content might be too high?

The rules have no limit on the amount of fat intake, only the type of fat.

On 1/3/2013 at 9:03 PM, Robin Strathdee said:

Welcome all newcomers, welcome back vets, and for those of you who never left...welcome to this post.

I just wanted to pop in here and remind you all to take a deep breath before you dive into all the questions about what you can and can't have. The program guidelines are clear on what you can and can't have (grains, dairy, W30 muffins), but things get a little grey when people start talking about what you should and shouldn't have. Please don't over think think this. You don't have to address every food related issue you have, break every bad habit, and shun every food that gives you comfort to succeed with your Whole30. If you need to you can always extend or repeat the process, and things will get better each time you do. My advice to you is this:

• Stick to the rules like they are your port in a storm (really, they will become that).
  • Take the Moderators responses seriously (we know what we're talking about).
  • Take community members suggestions as advice from those who came before, but keep in mind they are not the rules and not the Mods. Everyone here is well-meaning, and everyone here wants to see you succeed, but everyone here is at a different place in this journey.
  • And finally, take comfort in these words (from Melissa Hartwig, on another forum post):

Here's the thing (and this is an interesting discussion)... there are Whole30 "rules," which are strict, clearly outlined, and very well defined. No grains - and here are all the things we consider grains. No dairy - and here are all the dairy items excluded. No Paleo-fied food choices, and here's what those look like.

Then, there are Whole30 suggestions for success. They're not part of the official rules, but they're things that we've seen really help (or harm) people as they move through the program. Fruit smoothies for breakfast - not a good idea. Skipping breakfast - not a good idea. Eating every two hours, all day - not a good idea. These things won't necessarily affect your Whole30 results (although they might), but if we can give you additional suggestions that will make your transition and your program easier and more effective, we're going to give them to you.

Keep Calm and Whole30 On.

Hi,

What is Whole9?

Thanks.

Jim