Don't over think this.

Robin Strathdee

slw600 - Thank you so much! I haven't finished ISWF yet, (I actually had to put it when Oreos were mentioned in detail and I sensed a craving coming on ;-), but I got the "occasional fruit" quote from the Whole 30 "Meal Planning Template." Your note would be a nice addition to that PDF. Thanks again for clarifying! http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Aww..Thanks Angela. Keep in mind what works for me is just that. I need to remember to say that. :)

• Like 1

Thanks so much Robin... This coincides perfectly with me deciding to set a loose 'weekly' focus during my whole100... as you are so right its not necessary to address every food related issue I have yet I can still inspire myself by deciding what I would like to do and get better at next without applying undue pressure!

• Like 2

Thank you, Robin, for the great words! My husband and I are in Day 4 of the Whole30 and I have to admit I have had some "overthinking" moments! I feel like all I'm doing is thinking about meals, food, etc., and how to do what.....I've had more veggies in the last few days than I've had in months (just call me Thumper!). I know we just have to relax and plan things out - and give ourselves a chance. I will keep reading the postings and hope all of you can help us out! Thank you ahead of time for the support - we're really looking forward to the changes we will see and feel in the program.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A great post Robin! I have had so many problems on previous low carb diets that I checked with my Doc before I started and got a carb amount from him that I needed. Made sure I had something (fruit, sweet potatoes, or pumkin) at each meal, but quit even trying to count after the first couple of days. After that, I just kept doing what I was doing and didn't suffer the usual consequences. So, to everyone who is worried about eating too much or not enough, just go with the flow. It will work out. Day 24 is at an end and energy has picked up despite my having fibro and CFS.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS SO MUCH ROBIN!!

This post was awesome! I'm on Day 5 at the moment and sometimes I'm worried if I can or cant eat something. While I feel less bloaty and a bit slimmer (i'm probably the same but its more about how we feel right?) my sugar dragon is constantly poking me today like a bored 5year old and being really annoying. I want chocolate but I will instead have some capsicum or something.

Thanks also for clearing up the fruit issue. This being my first whole30, I wasnt sure if I was allowed fruit. I kinda hoped so long as it wasnt excessive (like 5pieces a day) it would be ok but its hard to be sure sometimes!!

• 2 weeks later...

Love this post! Thank you, Robin. I am definitely one who overthinks and can become legalistic in the rules when it pertains to food and my body. I've had disordered eating for most of my adult life. I know I am not going to fix everything in 30 days, with how I view food, or how I see my body, but it is a journey filled with baby steps......and three steps forward, two steps back.

The conventional American diet sets us up for failure by feeding us low-fat, processed garbage that never satisfies us nutritionally or emotionally. When you are eating whole food made traditionally, food is delicious, amazing, and satisfying. You are nourishing your body, and teaching it to listen to its own signals......imagine that! What a concept!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's the verdict on Lara bars? Maybe I should back up a little...I am eating according to the WHOLE 30 plan, but I do need a mid-morning snack...I just do and I have been eating the blueberry muffin (there are no grains in this particular flavor). It does hold me over till my lunch 1 because i typically work out over my lunch break and don't want to eat a full lunch prior to sweating my toosh off.

• 1 month later...

Last time, I 'fudged' the rules, because I trusted my husband to have read the book - he was supposed to be leading us in whole30 while I was trying to get a 45 day yeast cleanse program down! HA! I knew something was wrong when he didn't know what ghee was! ;-)

Anyway - this time, 'I' read the book - and the FREEDOM!!!

I know many folks are torn up about the 'rules' - but for me, with health issues, all related to inflammation, this book, this woe, is FREEDOM!

And, after reading the book FOR MYSELF, I realize several of the food issues that I have had...ways that I have cheated(I was the queen of weight watchers cheating back in the day!), and that it is NOW time to get serious!

I realize that I have been feeding myself poison...even in moderation! I HAVE BEEN POISONING MYSELF! I think it is a pretty sound rule "DO NOT TAKE POISON" Some poisons kill quickly, and some, a long drawn out way. I want to stop this crazy way, and the RULES are not shackles for me, but are like road signs for me to go the right direction!

I'm 52 - over half way to 100. If I live to 100, I want to be healthy, fit, and sound of mind!

Making these choices now will impact my then...and I hope that it is not too late!

Thank you, Robin, for speaking out on the 'rules'!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Robin Strathdee thank you for this!!! I totally hear this message!! Not sure if I'm just in the right place for it to finally click or if you just said it the right way. After all, this (at least for me) is about getting over and stopping all the over analyzing of my food. So glad to read this before I start tomorrow!

• Like 2

Had to chime in and agree wholeheartedly with Robin.

One of the hardest things to do is to keep an otherwise smart person from overthinking. And when you assemble a whole bunch of smart people (like this community) then the temptation is to REALLY overthink things and even sometimes "co-overthink" things. (©co-overthink. New term. Thank you). which may explain 4 pages of forum posts on the relative merits of protein powder and bullet-proof coffee (not together). Not that I haven't enjoyed engaging in, and sometimes starting, those esoteric discussions. :)

I read a book a few years ago called "Younger Next Year" in which the authors break down their exercise and eating program into the phrase: "Move every day, don't eat crap". While I probably could have used a few more particulars about the "crap" I was supposed to avoid, the "move every day" part got me to the gym at 6:30 a.m. nearly every day for a year. Keeping it simple was exactly what I needed.

Michael Pollan's now famous prescription for healthy eating, "Eat food, not too much, mainly plants" is another reductionist, yet amazingly helpful mantra that helps me navigate through the often bewildering post-W30 world along with occasional re-reads of ISWF.

In fact I sometimes REALLYREALLY crave the simplicity of Whole30 because it was so simple. Even though I'm 90% on plan even now, it's still harder out here.

So to all newbies...enjoy the "freedom" of having a well-defined set of guidelines for 30 days. Try underthinking a little and just enjoy the not eating crap.

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

Can someone tell me why fruit smoothies for breakfast are not a good idea?  I had one with kale, spinach, cherries, strawberries and blueberries and a tablespoon of almonds today and this is my first day ever on the Whole 30.  I thought I was doing well, but now am curious about this comment.  I have not yet read the book but plan to, but in the meantime am curious.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Can someone tell me why fruit smoothies for breakfast are not a good idea?  I had one with kale, spinach, cherries, strawberries and blueberries and a tablespoon of almonds today and this is my first day ever on the Whole 30.  I thought I was doing well, but now am curious about this comment.  I have not yet read the book but plan to, but in the meantime am curious.  Thank you in advance.

Smoothies are not encouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food rather than drink it. Chewing food tends to be more satiating than drinking food. Further, there can be a tendency to overload on fruit all at once when having smoothies, vs. having the recommended 1-2 servings of fruit per day on the Whole30.  A fruit serving on the Whole30 is the size of your fist.

If you don't have the ISWF book yet, here are some places to start on familiarizing yourself with the Whole30:

- Overview with links to several helpful documents http://whole9life.com/2013/07/get-ready-get-set-august-whole30/

- The Whole30 program. http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

- The Whole30 meal template. Basically your bible for how to structure every meal: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm on day two and have been eating a date with my protein each time I feel hypoglycemic. I have Graves' disease and sometimes, I get hypoglycemic (shaking, sweats, foggy head) and within 10 min of eating a date and protein (whole30 approved beef jerky stick) I feel better. What I really need to do though is keep ahead of myself so I don't feel that way. I figure I'm only on day 2 so I need a couple of days to get things together. I am doing mini meals from now on because of this...and because I am breastfeeding twins, so I think that I need more frequent meals to keep up. I'm just trying to stay inside the guidelines and eat only approved which I find is the easy part. The hard part for me is timing, especially finding the time to eat before it's too late and I'm shaking. It's a juggling act.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this! I worked a rogue night shift this week (between day 2 and day 3 of my W30) and was having some guilt twinges regarding my every 2 hour egg/meat/coconut milk/veggie 'muffin' - but it allowed me to get through the night without having graham crackers and peanut butter (an ICU staff nutritional staple!). It's not what I do on a normal day, but I survived my shift with my W30 intact so it was a victory. I think we are very hard on ourselves sometimes. I was actually feeling GUILTY about the 'egg muffings' because I felt I was 'snacking'. Then I remembered that we hear a lot about context here. And in that moment (or those 12 hours) I was doing what I had to do to maintain my W30. And I felt better. Yay me!!

Your muffin sounds practical and yummy. Could you post the recipe?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder Robin!  As a veteran on my 4th W30, I often remind myself that there will be "problem meals" on occasion.  Instead of starving myself on a 6 hour flight (with no cooler in tow), it's okay to eat some compliant dried fruit/ Larabars/ dried nuts.  Even though I try to stay compliant on ingredients and meal template, life still happens and nothing is perfect.  The good news is that I did the best I could for the circumstances and am still doing better than 99% of the other people out there! :)

• Like 2