Don't over think this.

Robin Strathdee

Yes, ascorbic acid and citric acid are fine. The only preservatives/additives you have to watch out for are Carageenan (often used to thicken things and give them a creamy texture like ice cream, almond, soy, and coconut milk, etc) MSG (used as a flavor booster in savory things) and Sulfites, along with any other non-compliant ingredients (dairy, sugar, grains, legumes) of course.

Go for canned items that are minimally processed and have as short an ingredient list as possible.

• Like 4

That's interesting. It says that gelatin and "anything Fermented" has processed free glutamic acid. I know MSG is naturally occurring in some foods, are these included in that category?

I'm not sure. Some of the things on those lists make sense to me and some don't. I know I have a strong MSG reaction and I've never had it with gelatin and fermented foods so I'm not worried about those personally but might be worth doing some more of my own research. 

This is one of those cases where you can't believe everything you read on the interwebs. Chemistry is complicated and while some manufactured foods and natural foods share similar chemical compounds, they don't all interact with our bodies in the same way.  For the purposes of Whole30, simply avoid "MSG"  - no outside reading material necessary :)

• Like 4

In my absence from whole 30 I missed the consistency of following a plan. With out that in my life, I seem to stumble which made at the end of the last whole 30 I did  difficult.

So thanks for this post and the permission to be a little more rigid in my rule following along with being able to be loose enough to laugh at myself about it.

Coming back for another round of whole 30 and I imagine more, this Forum once more so enriches the experience.

Thanks all

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It does say occasional fruit somewhere, because I know I read that too! In the meal planning guide it states "occasionally add a serving a fruit", a fruit size serving should be a fist size and whole30 guidelines recommends one to two of those a day. I reread some chapters and it stated to not have fruit if your replacing it for a "sugar craving, since thats still being unhealthy given the fact you are still feeding your cravings and going back to old habits!!!! Its best to have protein and a fat if your still really hungry after eating 15 minutes later! Also, it states in the book it is better to have smaller amounts of fruit throughout the day then a lot in on sitting. (guessing this means break up that fist portion size throughout the day)--keep in mind you can most likely have more then that based on your activity and size level. I am very active so I tend to add a little more fruit into my meals, when I can like banana slices or some apples. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I start tomorrow.. can I make breakfast with chia seeds, cinnamon & almond milk ( unsweetened) love this breakfast? can I still continue to eat this?

thank you excited to reboot!

While this doesn't violate any of the rules it isn't your best choice for breakfast. We recommend that all of your meals fit the food template to get the best results from your experience. This means 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and 1-2 servings of added fat. Also make sure that your almond milk doesn't contain carrageenan either. I've personally never found an almond milk in the store that didn't have this additive and usually just make my own when I want it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Moderators

I understand the rules are strict with regards to what we can and cannot eat. But, I have heard people say that if you step on the scale anytime between the beginning and the end of the Whole30, you MUST start over at day 1. Is this the case?

Well, stepping on the scale is a rule, so if you want to be able to say you truly did a Whole30, following all the rules...

But, having said that, here is the guidance for determining if you need a restart. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Today end the first day of the Whole30 program (first go-round as well).  The program is not too far from where I was except for the grains, dairy and sugar!  I was careful with my grains (made my own whole-grain bread) and generally tried to avoid those types of carbs whenever possible.  I also carefully watched my sugar intake (except of course when I wasn't watching it) - but seriously I am at the point where I'm not running from that sugar dragon - cravings are mostly at bay for most things - BUT I've been using saccharine in my coffee for 50 years!

I've recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and high cholesterol and I'm overweight and unable to take it off.  I also suffer from chronic pain and IBS! Today I read all the 'science-y' stuff in the book and I now have a better understanding of why!  Even though I don't eat a lot of junk food or sweets, I see how the other things are adversely affecting my health.... I hope to turn that around in the next 30 days!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm brand new, not even sure if I'm writing in the right place. Before I start, I wanted to know, if I keep to the rules entirely, does it matter if I just eat basically the same thing every day? Such as eggs for breakfast, protein salad for lunch, protein and vegetables for dinner? I have the book and although it all looks interesting, I don't want food to be such a complicated big deal in my day. I usually eat pretty repetitively.

• Moderators

Hi I'm brand new, not even sure if I'm writing in the right place. Before I start, I wanted to know, if I keep to the rules entirely, does it matter if I just eat basically the same thing every day? Such as eggs for breakfast, protein salad for lunch, protein and vegetables for dinner? I have the book and although it all looks interesting, I don't want food to be such a complicated big deal in my day. I usually eat pretty repetitively.

This is okay. It is generally better to have a variety of foods over time, because you get different nutrients from different foods, so be sure you have a variety of vegetables and change up fat and protein sources some, but it's definitely fine to keep it simple rather than making a new and different recipe every day.

• Like 2