Don't over think this.

Robin Strathdee

• 1 month later...
Guest Raemikky

So if bananas are on the approved food list, why are frozen bananas put through a blender a rule breaker?

Guest Raemikky

Well thanks for the "welcome" this is my first day on here and 1st day on the wonderfully supportive forum that I was promised and so far I've gotten nothing but negative response from a group I obviously don't fit in with. Excuse the newbie error. I realized too late that I made a mistake with multiple postings and instead of help and support I get criticism. Tell your leaders what waste of money and time this has been but obviously you all know that someone who's not a member of your elite club must be shunned off the site. Don't worry...there will be no more errors ftom this newbie and I will make sure to inform everyone I know that the support forum is anything but.

Well thanks for the "welcome" this is my first day on here and 1st day on the wonderfully supportive forum that I was promised and so far I've gotten nothing but negative response from a group I obviously don't fit in with. Excuse the newbie error. I realized too late that I made a mistake with multiple postings and instead of help and support I get criticism. Tell your leaders what waste of money and time this has been but obviously you all know that someone who's not a member of your elite club must be shunned off the site. Don't worry...there will be no more errors ftom this newbie and I will make sure to inform everyone I know that the support forum is anything but.

Raemikky, the forums are a very supportive community and those that take part regularly thrive here when they accept the rules for what they are, and realize that the Moderators (and other knowledgeable members) are passionate about the Whole30 program, and want to see you complete a true Whole30 meaning you will get the best results possible, and sometimes that takes a little tough love.

Your initial post was effectively encouraging other members to break the rules, and whilst that might have been a rookie error on your part it had to be made clear for everyone that this is not allowed.

I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do, but perhaps once you get over the hurt of your ticking off you might give the forums another chance & find that actually they'll make your Whole30 journey a whole lot easier....

• Like 4

Raemikky  -  Welcome.

The Whole 30 is 30 days of passing up immediate gratification for long term satisfaction.  To be in the pocket Whole 30 Template is to make the minute by minute, meal by meal and mile by mile choices that will eventually add up to your success.  

There may not be any golden trumpets to mark our good choices.  No cheering crowds  "You Go, Girl!"

Nobody may lavish you with praise.  In fact, none of our friends and family may notice all of the quiet sacrifices we are making in our quiet snackless corners.    When we encounter difficulties...they can be our greatest teachers.

Get back up on your horse and ride like the wind.  If you let it go today or for another year...you'll be one year older when you get back to your original decision to complete a Whole 30.   Compliant without complaints.

Goooooo!!!!!   Today.

• Like 4

Thanks for this post! With three kids, a husband who works crazy hours, two other jobs of my own (besides the kids, lol), and a quite limited budget, I have been worried how to make the Whole30 work for all of us. Now I feel a little more relaxed going in, and I've already been cooking meals for my family; now I just have to take out my grains/legumes and replace them with fat. I feel better now, thanks!!

• 7 months later...

Just hoping I don't need to start again.....I didn't realise preservative numbers 220-228 contain sulphur.  I had a few dried apricots and when I thought to double check I found out it was sulphur!!! Can someone help me on this?

Just hoping I don't need to start again.....I didn't realise preservative numbers 220-228 contain sulphur. I had a few dried apricots and when I thought to double check I found out it was sulphur!!! Can someone help me on this?

Yes, those *sulfite* numbers are off limits on a Whole30. This listing is a helpful reference:http://forum.whole30.com/topic/24731-uk-e-numbers-to-avoid/

Regarding whether to restart, read this and decide: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Thanks Chris.  When I have read about restarting the program it is normally talking about deliberate slip ups - milkshakes, slice of pizza etc. My husband is doing this with me and I don't know if he will start it again??  He has found these first 3 days hard already. Are these sulfites as bad as that? I will ensure we don't make this mistake again.

• Moderators

Thanks Chris.  When I have read about restarting the program it is normally talking about deliberate slip ups - milkshakes, slice of pizza etc. My husband is doing this with me and I don't know if he will start it again??  He has found these first 3 days hard already. Are these sulfites as bad as that? I will ensure we don't make this mistake again.

Your body doesn't really know whether you had the sulfites accidentally or on purpose. Some people are very sensitive to them. You're only three days in, if you really just can't stand the thought of starting over right now, what you could do is just keep going, and in 27 days, when your 30 would be up, see if you aren't okay with tacking another three days on there to get the whole thing -- you'll both be well past the hard part by then, and many people hit the end of their 30 days and keep going because they feel so good.

At the very, very least, make sure you go 30 full days without any sulfites before you reintroduce anything with them, if you choose to reintroduce them. It is really, really hard to find dried apricots especially, but sometimes other dried fruits, without them, so if you do buy more dried fruits, be very, very sure you read the ingredients.

• Moderators

Shannon gave you good advice on how to consider extending your whole30 but I'm coming here to tell you that yes, sulfites CAN BE as bad as all that. You won't know until you remove them and the other inflammatory foods... I didn't know but I get a terrible rash from them... My sensitivity is so bad that I can't eat grapes because the vines are sprayed with sulfites before the grape even blooms (blooms?? is that what you call it when a grape appears?). Anyway... sorry to hear that happened to you.

Another thing while we're talking about this is that dried fruit as a condiment (sprinkled on a salad or chicken baked with dried fruit) would be fine but it is discouraged to snack on dried fruit as it can be food without brakes for a lot of people and it's also VERY sugar dense... all in all, not a great choice.

Thank you both for your fast responses.  I really appreciate it.  I think I will take Shannon's advice and keep going and try to add the 3 days on at the end, at least make sure I don't add sulfites until after that time.  With the grapes - does that mean I shouldn't have fresh ones either? (I'm pretty sure bloom is right too!!) We were only making a nut and dried fruit mix for emergencies - hard to find bars over here that are whole 30 compliant.

Thanks again :)

• Moderators

No, not saying you should remove grapes... I have an extreme reaction which I didn't actually know about until many whole30's under my belt... Most people even with a sensitivity aren't going to be affected by grapes.

Try and find some tinned fish (tuna, sardines etc) or bring hard boiled eggs and some olives etc... with you... if you can plan out to make and have trail mix, then you can plan out something else... the bars are absolutely not necessary for a successful Whole30... I've never met an emergency that would have necessitated it. If they're not readily available and you're going to go to the trouble to make something, maybe try making something a little more nutritious?

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.hfX3wIYE.dpuf

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newbie and will need a lot of support in these coming 30 days .  I brought some crystal bay sparkling water and it has an ingredients i think we can not have on the whole 30 . sucralose is that a sugar substitute . the plan says we can have  flavored water , but what brand can i buy that will work for the whole 30.

• Moderators

I'm a newbie and will need a lot of support in these coming 30 days .  I brought some crystal bay sparkling water and it has an ingredients i think we can not have on the whole 30 . sucralose is that a sugar substitute . the plan says we can have  flavored water , but what brand can i buy that will work for the whole 30.

It's hard for us to suggest brands because we don't know what is available in your area... but San Pellegrino, Perrier, La Croix and most club sodas that have no flavoring are compliant... read your labels!

• 7 months later...

I am on day 3 and feeling a bit overwhelmed with how much of my day goes to planning meals and prepping them.  In particular I am not sure what would be considered a good lunch which is quick to prepare.  Any tips?

Breakfast, lunch & dinner for me are all interchangeable so if I've got enough food prepped I just need to piece together a meal from what I've prepared. I do a large batch cook session each weekend - uslaly maybe 4 types of protein (one of these generally being a whole chicken), 3 veg dishes (one based around root veg, one based around greens and the other maybe a blended veg soup), and make sure I'm stocked up on salad veg, home made mayo, eggs, avocados, olives & tinned fish.

For me a weekly cook up is key, otherwise I'd be living on salads.....

It really does get easier though - right now you're still getting to used to what you can & can't eat, reading labels, forseeing stumbling blocks etc - soon it will all be second nature, honest!!

• Like 1