1ST TIME STARTING IN JAN

CherDeez

I'm a Southern lady in my mid 50's.  Collard greens and cornbread is one of my favorite meals.  I have started Whole30 twice before without finishing either one.  What do you think, third times the charm?

My advise if this is your first W30 - Try to keep it simple at the start.  Make meals you already enjoy that are miraculously already compliant.  Or tweek the "almost compliant" ones until they are.  It can be a bit overwhelming at first with all the label reading, chopping and cleaning up.  Add in one or two new recipes each week. 

I shop with a small magnifying glass.  And I check all the labels each time before I put it in my cart.  Wal-Mart's Great Value Beef Broth was compliant at the start of my W30 but it wasn't at the end of it.  READ, READ, READ

Looking forward to a Whole new year.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

I have started Whole30 twice before without finishing either one.  What do you think, third times the charm?

Do you know why you didn't finish before? What can you do this time to avoid those situations?  You don't have to answer here if you don't want to, but if you haven't yet, sit down and think about this and come up with a plan. You can definitely do this. It's not easy, but it is doable. 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Thank you @ShannonM816 , it was severe depression caused by hormonal changes.  Over and done with now.  Made it to days 28 and 21 last time.  I'll be making copious notes in the Day By Day this time around.

Hi @pearlgirl2017 - if you do tend to have issues with depression, we really recommend you include at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie per day - likely quite a bit more than that. Going too low carb, whether on purpose or inadvertently, can negatively affect those that have mood disorders. Keep a close eye on yourself and reach out if you are struggling!

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

A question for anyone... where is the fat in the Borscht with Beef and Dill from the new Whole30 Slow Cooker cookbook (page 77)?  Is this a complete meal or am I supposed to add something like a side salad with an oil dressing?

Hi @pearlgirl2017 - I don't have my book with me at the moment but I would imagine that you could  drizzle a nice finishing oil on the soup when you plate it or diced avocado would probably also be good. And of course a "soup and salad" dinner would be lovely also! 

All the Christmas leftovers are almost gone, finally.  I'll be doing next weeks shopping tomorrow (Saturday) and I need the room for all the good stuff.  I am SO looking forward to the lighter fare of fish, shrimp and complete soups.  I am probably going to be hit very hard with the "carb flu" or "hangover" as my system cleans itself out of the "made for the holiday" dishes.  Even my companion has said he has had enough.  I think I'm going to be rolling into my Whole30 on Sunday.

Archived