Calling All Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipes!

kirbz

Does anyone have any creamy, vegetable soup recipes that they would be willing to share? I'm looking for stuff along the lines of Mel Joulwan's Golden Cauliflower Soup, Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup, or Roasted Carrot-Caraway Soup. I'd prefer recipes that aren't all starchy vegetables (i.e., sweet potato or winter squash soups) and recipes with some greens like spinach or kale would be fabulous! 

I've seriously struggled with vegetables for breakfast and have found that a delicious, comforting, vegetable soup is a great way for me to get them in! Right now, I have these three recipes on rotation but would love to add some more to the mix! 

Thank you so much! :-) 

• Administrators

I don't know about "creamy" soups but I do tend to make a very thick and hearty chicken (or turkey) veggie "stewp". My trick is to use the red potatoes as they have a bit higher of a starch content so they "thicken" the soup a bit without adding any special thickener. I also only add enough broth to cover the pot contents and then let it cook down. Topped w/ avocado or even an egg and it makes a very comforting, hearty meal. 

My standard chicken stewp recipe has an entire tray of chicken thighs, browned first, a whole sweet onion diced, several red potatoes diced, a few carrots diced, a couple cans of mushrooms, a drained can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste plus all the good chicken seasonings. I use whatever greenery I have around at the time - often green beans.  The trick is not over-brothing it.

I also love this Cream of Tomato soup from Nom Nom Paleo but I don't make it anymore because tomatoes give my husband heartburn. :( 

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/2825821540/quick-cream-of-tomato-soup

I will greedily accept any recipes folks have too, as creamy soups was one area I didn't try last Whole30 as many used coconut milk and that sorta threw me (I thought it would taste funny). But I finally experimented and am happy to report my first Whole30 compliant creamy soup was a success! I made this mushroom soup last night and can't wait to eat it! https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-cream-mushroom-soup-whole30/

The smell was amazing and I couldn't resist a few spoonfuls as it cooked up. I did as recommended for the very creamy version and used my immersion blender till it resembled a lovely, rich sauce, but I'm thinking in the future I may use the bones of the recipe without the broth and thickener (or at least a lot less) and not blend it as much to add to eggs for a satisfying crustless quiche. I think it'd probably go nicely with some spinach inside said quiche for extra vegginess too.

I like to tend toward crustless quiches to get my morning veggies in - they're easy, freezable, and can serve as nice fridge/pantry cleanout type of dishes in a pinch. But I know not everyone digs eggs (or can dig them) as much as I do, and that egg burnout is a very real thing.

@BookJockey Thanks for the recipe you just shared! That was actually one I had been eyeballing so I appreciate your rave review. I'll definitely have to check it out!

In the  meantime, since others are interested, here is what I've already tried (the first three) and/or other recipes I recently discovered after some more online research: 

@kirbz no problem, glad it helped! FWIW, I used beef bone broth as opposed to chicken like the recipe suggests, because that was what I had on hand, but I honestly think I'll keep making it that way, as I really liked the way it turned out. I'm thinking of maybe trying to use a bit of it as a filler for a paleo/whole30-ized version of shepherd's pie.

Thank you for all the other recipes! I'm really excited to try more creamy Whole30 soups as I now feel like that's something I totally missed out on!

Archived