Newbie-trying to get started

GymMom

I hope this is the right place to post this.... My family is getting ready to start our first Whole30, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get everything  planned,  prepped, and cooked. I'm a single working mom to two non- driving, homeschooling, teenaged competitive gymnasts. Between school planning/grading, gym practice drop off and pick up at two different gyms 5 days a week, two jobs, and limited income for compliant emergency/ quick fix meals is this even possible? I really want to give it my best shot because we've been relying on too many rice and pasta meals since they're cheap, fast, and easy. My energy is almost non-existent, and my daughter is developing multiple joint issues.... already starting to cut out nightshades for her. I guess I could really use some encouragement and inexpensive food prep shortcuts..... or even an honest "you're crazy to try and add this to your schedule" would work, too. :mellow::blink::D

• Administrators

You're not crazy to do this at all. Pasta and rice dishes are fast and easy - but realistically not that much quicker than steaming some broccoli while some diced sweet potato and chicken thighs bakes in the oven.  We have some great budgeting threads on the forum that might help and we have lots of richly scheduled folks that have shared their tips and tricks - just take a cruise around the forum here and see what you can find. 

One of the absolute best tips is to cook in bulk. If you make burger patties, make 3# of meat worth. If you bake sweet potatoes, do half a dozen or more. If you hardboil eggs, do a dozen. You have to eat anyway so the more food you make at one time, the easier it is on you later on down the road. 

Also remember that if you are used to eating mostly carbs and sugars, that you all may feel worse for a few days while your bodies convert over to fat adaptation. Resist the urge here to supplement with fruits or nuts on their own. Go for protein + fat ideally or protein + veggie. Drink tonnes of water and try to get a bit of extra rest if you can.

Archived