January Whole30 Prep

RandiW

Hi friends - 

I've been gone a hot minute for my wedding and since then I've basically completely reverted back to pre-Whole 30 eating - I'm back to eating grain products with every meal. You might have guessed that I feel like crap and I've gotten sick twice in the last three months! 

Trying to mentally and actually prep for my 3rd January Whole30. I had been thinking I was going to do it even before I fell off the wagon so severely, but I have been having trouble feeling fully committed to the idea.  I know that if I don't mentally commit, I'm likely to not make it through the 30 days. This will actually be my 4th W30 (Jan '17, Jan '18, May '18), and I also had an attempt between my 1st and 2nd that I crapped out on after 6 days.  I only really want to do it if I know I can commit to really doing it, but the additional W30s are so much harder in certain ways.

For those that have done multiple rounds, how do your mentally, and otherwise, prepare yourself?

Hi RandyW - I too am going to start again. I have tried a couple of times this past year and it seems much more difficult to do than it did the first time. 

Anyway, LadyShanny responded with a very helpful link for me, so hoping it will help you. It won't make it easier per se, but understanding that it is more difficult to do it again, and not just for me but for others too is important know. I feel like I am not alone, so I am hoping it will help me .... https://whole30.com/2015/02/second-whole30/

I am here for you, and I sure others will be too!  As for me, one day at a time is how I have to look at it, and remind myself that I can do anything for 30 days!!!

Kimberly

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Welcome back @RandiW

I've done 6 rounds of Whole30 and I completely understand how you feel. It's very difficult to get back into the mindset of taking on another Whole30. My goal for the first one was to just get through it; just follow the rules each and every day, but I did not pay much attention to the recommendations (e.g. I made smoothie bowls every now and then). The next ones I changed my goals/built on what I had already done... so for my second one I made sure to follow the rules AND the recommendations, the third I eliminated ALL snacking (unless hard core emergencies of course). The fourth one I decided to document all of my meals, etc. etc. By doing this it's helped me keep things interesting and gives me something specific to focus on :D

Hey @RandiW - I totally relate to this! I struggled to get my mind right for another Whole30 after completing my first one and had a few failures before getting myself mentally prepared. 

One thing that helped me tremendously was sitting down and brainstorming on paper. I wrote down all the reasons I wanted to do another Whole30 and also thought about what benefits I experienced in my previous round. Something about writing it all out made everything click and helped me feel determined and committed. 

Do you have It Starts with Food on audiobook? I wonder if listening to that might help?

This is me too!  I've had three successful whole30s, then maybe three others that were more like a Food Freedom approach (not 100% compliant).

After reading a friend's pre-New Year post about choosing a word for 2019, something that acts as a theme for the year or helps you achieve the goals you wish to achieve.  My word is FOCUSED.  It's helped already with this Whole 30 (I'm on Day 6), getting me back to working out, and accomplishing some tasks around the house.  So many different words (or phrases) would help you with the Whole 30.  Find your word.;)

Archived