Jihanna's Journey - Whole30 in January 2019

Jihanna

Well, I posted this entirely by accident, before I'd had the chance to finish my introduction! I did try to edit the original post, but it's not allowed me to... so I'll just copy what should've gone there in this post, instead :)
--------------------------------------------------

Hi, my name is Jihanna ("jee-ON-nuh"). I'm from the southeastern US and have a wonderful family (amazing husband, 3 awesome kids, and a set of very supportive parents). I've been diagnosed with Bipolar I and a number of allergies (mainly dairy and furry pets), and also struggle with a number of other issues for which I don't have official diagnoses.

What brings me HERE, however, is that I need to completely overhaul my relationship with food. For a most of my life, food was either enemy (because I felt fat) or best friend (because I ate my feelings). As I've grown older, I've learned more about what food really is and what it's supposed to do for my body, but it didn't really change what I eat in the grand scheme of things. I still splurged with dairy (because the acid reflux, rash, and possible stomach issues would be totally worth it, really), I still ate fast food, I still drank too much soda (quit for weeks, then jump back in feet first in the deep end!), and I still ate way too much sugar in a general sense. So despite the knowledge, it just. didn't. matter. enough.

But I'm rapidly approaching 40... diabetes runs in my family... I'm tired of eating trash, and even more tired of eating the really good stuff alongside the trash... and I've seen so much person

al growth in other areas during the past year (or two) that I really just have to put my foot down and tell myself it's time to put on the big girl pants and do what needs to be done!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to say that I'm going into this without reading any of the books. I know, I know, that's just not how I'm supposed to do this... honestly, books just aren't in my budget, whereas the grocery bill is covered. That said, I also know that I'm supposed to read the book first so I know WHY I'm going to be "deprived" of so many foods for the next month, but I believe I've got enough understanding of the why behind it all to not be floundering because of a lack of previous reading, AND I actually am not going into this feeling as though there's going to be any deprivation beyond my daily doses of sugar... and those need to go, with the help of following the Whole30 plan or without it!

2019 is going to be a landmark year for me ~ 21st anniversary, 5th year sober, 40th birthday, and a legal name change to tie it all together. I may not be bright-eyed (give me a break, I think I've looked through something like 500 recipes in the past few days alone!) and I'm certainly no spring chicken, but I'm here and I'm super-excited to kick off 2019 in a way that'll make me proud when I look back in a year from now.

Nice to "meet" you. I'm looking forward to our journey!

- Ji

There is alot of good info contained here in this website alone to start on a Whole30 journey.  Browse thru all the stuff in all the forums and it'll def help.

1) Keep it as simple as possible to start, 2) batch cook whenever possible, and 3) leftovers are your best friend.

Thanks, pearlgirl2017!

We have 7 people in the house (well, 6 while my son's away at school), so I'm used to doing meal plans and trying to make sure there are leftovers... but this definitely puts a new spin on things, in a good way!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to meet you Jihanna and best of luck! You should consider checking your local library for a copy of "It Starts with Food" or any of the other Whole30 books. I found it easier to cut certain things out when I had a better understanding of what they are doing to my body.

So sorry, I hadn't realized there were additional responses here :)

I'll have to keep that idea in mind, and take a look online to see if it's available when I know I'm going to the library next. Thank you, @Junebug2015! I hadn't even thought about that possibility, so hopefully it'll be there. Thankfully, though, I didn't come in as a totally clueless person (and I get the why of leaving things out and the psychological approach to it all, as well)... but reading the books is definitely on my list of things to do as soon as it's an option.

@pearlgirl2017 I found my first 4-5 days were probably the hardest ones. Days 2-3 were insanely difficult, and I slept through them in between bouts of nausea. But ever since those first few days, it's been a little better every day. I do have days where I really just don't feel like doing anything, but I'm not so exhausted that I can't get up and get things done if it's needed. I hope you're doing better, now! :) 

12 hours ago, Jihanna said:

I hope you're doing better, now!

I am thanks.  Looking back at my Day By Day journal entries I realized that I haven't had any starchy carbs.  At all.  So I made sure to add some butternut squash (Green Giant spiralized butternut squash in the freezer section at Wal-Mart) and some potato to my next couple of days. Need to make up another batch of https://boysahoy.com/whole30-slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chili-recipe/ for breakfast this week.

I've done sweet potato chili before, but the family didn't like it as much as I did... so I guess that's off the table unless I make a small batch just for me. All the household adults like roasted starches (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, acorn squash, etc.) so I try to make sure I've got one included in every family meal I cook. I also tend to give myself a serving in nearly every meal, because I seem to function so much better when I do (and I could have potatoes at every meal and be happy, but I make sure to mix it up for the sake of the others in the house and have to say I'm enjoying the new flavors!).

I also bought myself a spiralizer for Christmas, so had a lot of fun making my own veggie noodles :)

Ah yes I love my spiralizer! I wish zucchini wasn't so watery though, it makes using zoodles for a base kind of difficult. I personally love me some sweet potato chili! I hadn't thought of making it for Whole30 though... Looks like I have a new recipe to try! I'm glad you're feeling better and having success in making meals for your family!

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, megbeveridge said:

Ah yes I love my spiralizer! I wish zucchini wasn't so watery though, it makes using zoodles for a base kind of difficult. I personally love me some sweet potato chili! I hadn't thought of making it for Whole30 though... Looks like I have a new recipe to try! I'm glad you're feeling better and having success in making meals for your family!

Are you cooking your zoodles? Because a lot of times I feel like they work better if I don't actually cook them, but just put hot foods on top of them and let that warm them up. This works well with soup or stew or chili for sure. For a few things, I'll cook everything else and just before serving throw the zoodles in the hot pan with everything else, stir for just a second to combine, and then serve. 

There's also the method used in this recipe that works well but is kind of a pain so I only do it for something like this where the zoodles basically are the whole dish:  http://meljoulwan.com/2011/08/18/comfort-noodles/

Archived