January 2 Start Date! Anyone else?

Laurenacc

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 is going well so far. I really don't mind having almost the same thing for breakfast every day, so I usually just do hard boiled eggs and veggies. I have an apple and maybe some almond butter for a mid morning snack. I take a late lunch and usually do tuna, chicken sausage, or grilled chicken & some sort of vegetable/salad. I bought some potatoes, but I'm trying to limit carbs this time around. I love finding easy, microwavable, quick snacks and meals that I can put together. One of the biggest things that I learned in round 1 is that food is fuel. If you're not hungry enough to eat boiled chicken and steamed broccoli, you're not that hungry. It's helped me with my cravings and made me more mindful of my snacking. This is my third round of Whole30 so I am a lot more relaxed about it. I have emergency RX bars in my purse so I don't have to scramble and find things, I found all sorts of compliant goodies at target, wegmans, and market basket that I know I can have. Just looking forward to the middle of this round to start sleeping better, feeling less anxious, and being more focused. I'm not portion controlling, but I do write down what I eat to make sure I'm getting a good balance and that I eat enough in general. Already on day 2 - 28 days to go! :)

Thank you MarthaJane! My same thoughts...and I am on my third cup of black coffee with lots of cinnamon.  It's tolerable lol.

In the meantime Ive been supplenting the bullet coffee with coconut oil as well. When blended, it's almost indistinguishable from the ghee and lightens it just a little. I was thinking that might suffice for the MCT oil that I'm not willing to fork over extra $ for...?

I started yesterday for my 7th (I think?).  My advice to first timers is to broaden your concept of what constitutes breakfast. Yesterday I had stir fry salmon and veggies with cauliflower rice and today I had ground turkey over  bok choy.  I’m not the hugest fan of eggs but even the biggest fan can get sick of them on this plan!  

For all the coffee drinkers it will get better. Two years ago I drinking my coffee with sweetner and non-fat milk.  Buy the best coffee

you can afford and you will be able to drink it black. I have been drinking my coffee black now for over two years.

What a great lunch!  I may go fix that now for breakfast!  

We are doing this thing!  Day 2 I fought the Sugar Dragon...day 3 was better...keeping meals simple but tasty so I don’t dread prepping.  Hope to spend a little time today mapping out this week’s meals.

Best to everyone!  

On 12/31/2018 at 6:44 AM, Cabingirl said:

Good Morning everyone!  I am 57, married with two awesome children and I love the outdoors. I am excited to say I’ll be starting on Jan 2.  I’ve had health issues for 3 years and I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired!  I am looking forward to this healthy journey that will help me take back control of my health and weight.  Happy New Year.  

I am 57 too and this is my 3rd Whole30 and hope to make it a permanent way of eating this time.  I lost my job at the end of the year so it is time to take my health seriously and spend some time on me for a change.  Best of luck to you! 

Hi guys. I've been on my food freedom journey since February 2017. I've done several Whole30s before this one (I think!) but my last full one was a year ago. I did pretty well over the year but slipped up a lot in December. I'm already feeling pretty good, although I did have a couple of days of fatigue. I wanted to share some of my all-time favorite recipes with y'all. I make these even when I'm not on a Whole30 because they're just amazing. In no particular order:

1. No-fuss salmon cakes in the original Whole30 book. I highly suggest making the tartar sauce in the same book to go with. For that, I sub the pickles for capers. I forgot to buy the pickles but the capers were so good that I haven't ever made it with pickles haha.

2. These are great but involve more "fuss" than the above option. I'll alternate between the two recipes. https://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

3. The best chili ever (do it on the stove): http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

4. The best beef stew I have EVER had. I am not a stew person or a meat and potatoes person, but I think this is incredible. http://meljoulwan.com/2015/05/07/classic-paleo-beef-stew/

5. Drool-worthy amazingness. http://meljoulwan.com/2011/04/29/stovetop-pork-carnitas/

Hope this helps some people out. Keep it up, everyone!

This week has been slow cooker week for me.  I made a Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe and then a Beef Roast Recipe (that included Balsamic Vinegar ----so yum!).  I didn't use it much my first two (I used pressure cooker mode but not slow cooker).  This is a great revelation for me :)

Feeling great by the way.  How many we still have going now that we're at day 9?

*waives hand* Still here! I am feeling pretty good, but weirdly missing the sugar cravings. Is that bizarre? Last time I definitely had sugar cravings and they weren't fun. This time I'm not really - I mean, sweets sound nice, but meh, you know? But I weirdly miss the actual MISSING having a cookie or two to dip into my mid-morning coffee. That's weird, right? I guess it's because it just feels like such a strange change, and it's like, what do I do with my brain now that there isn't the cycle of near obsessive thinking of treats and the subsequent guilt, you know? That's been illuminating this time around for sure.

The Tikka Masala recipe was pretty simple.  

1 TBSP Oil of Choice (I used ghee)

1/2 White Onion (I used a sweet yellow because it's what I had)

3.5 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh

2 TBSP Garam Masala

1 TBSP Red Chile Paste (I used Hot and it wasn't spicy enough so next time I'll put more)

2 Cups of Coconut Milk

3 Cups of Diced Tomatoes (recipe called for you to use the liquid but I'd dispose of the liquid - mine was a bit too runny)

4 Cloves of Garlic Minced

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Put the ghee and onion in the slow cooker and cook until translucent.  Throw everything into the pot except the chicken and mix.  Once everything is mixed put the chicken in and cook on low for 7 hours.  Super simple and tasty!

Hi rockstars! I love the amount of communication I'm seeing on this thread! My previous whole30 (my first!), I was the only one posting anything beyond day 2- it was brutal! Now *I'M* barely posting this time around :wacko:

Day 10 complete, starting day 11 and still going strong. This time around is much easier for me than my first- I guess that's to be expected. However, I'm noticing more morning headaches than I think I had in my previous reset. I'm also feeling a bit groggier in my afternoons but that's most likely due to the fact that I'm also in marathon training-mode right now. According to whole30 rules, I should be adding a 4th meal since I'm running / working out almost every day and I haven't been doing that. I haven't been hungry for 4 meals and I don't want to force-feed myself when I don't feel like it's necessary. But...that could be why I'm lethargic- who knows!

Also, I had a good 7 recipes that I truly adored during my first whole30 and I continued to eat them even after that whole30 was done. But now I find them not as exciting and starting to get bored with them. I know I need to branch out and just throw in some new ones but my shopping / cooking gets finished so much faster when I'm making a recipe I already know so well. Sigh.

I think I'm also bored because this time around, I decided to make less work for myself and do all my cooking on Sunday (meaning all breakfasts, lunches, and dinners cooked and in fridge / freezer to last me the entire week). This past Sunday I cooked for 5 F*ing hours :blink: But I made all my pork breakfast sausage, no fuss salmon cakes, butternut squash soup, and beef and sweet potato chili to last me a week (or at least almost a week). So that means I basically have 5 days of the same breakfasts, lunches, and dinners in a row. Probably why I'm getting sick of my recipes. HA! But my last reset- I was cooking every 3 days or so, and I felt like I was living in my kitchen. I want to avoid that feeling this time around. Perhaps that just means repetitive meals and I just need to get over it. This week my meals were:

Breakfast:

Sausage Patty, Hard Boiled Egg, Bowl of spinach, raspberries, sliced almonds, and a tablespoon of tessemae's balsamic vinaigrette (which makes the morning salad less brutal). This has basically been my breakfast every day since my last whole30...sometimes I'll change up the sausage patty and have whole30 compliant turkey bacon strips. I actually never get tired of this meal- it's probably my favorite. OH! And can't forget my coffee with nutpods :)

Lunch:

Beef and Sweet Potato Chili (recipe is in the whole30 cookbook). I got really bored with this one after having it for lunch 5 days in a row. But it used to be one of my favs! So sad...

Dinner:

No Fuss Salmon Cakes & Butternut Squash Soup (both recipes in the 7 day meal plan in the book- the whole30: 30 day guide to total health and food freedom). I really enjoyed both of these- I only made it once during my first reset and no idea why I never attempted to make it again but I think this one would be a good lunch option to take to work in the coming weeks.

After my 4 days of Salmon cakes/soup were gone- I was craving burgers so I had 2 nights of ground beef burger patties with a tablespoon of whole30 mayo & tablespoon of tessemae's ketchup along with a spinach salad with apples, almonds, and a dressing I make from scratch- olive oil, apple cider vinegar, compliant dijon mustard, salt & pepper (tastes amazing).

I think this week I'm going to either do autumn hash & pork meatballs or bacon wrapped chicken & mashed potatoes (all 4 recipes in whole30 cookbook) for lunch and chicken cutlets with bitter greens, caramelized pears and shallots for dinner. I'll stick to my breakfast that I love as usual. 

Hopefully I'll get another post out before another 10 days goes by! 10 down- 35 to go, y'all! (Or 20 for those who aren't doing the re-introduction). 

I've been known to have chili and soup for breakfast, so that's another way to switch up meals. My main challenge is still going out to eat. It's almost impossible and seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I live in a city, and there are maybe 3 places that I can go and not feel like a jerk ordering with a bunch of substitutions. So I'll probably cook for myself for the most part. It's just easier for me.

The first 10 days went very smoothly for me. I had a couple of headaches, but no major complaints. Energy seems to be getting better and sleep hasn't been too bad. I'm drinking WAY too much coffee. I'll try to work on that this week.

Hang in there y'all!

Staying strong in good ole Texas !

My daughters and I started on the 2nd and we are all hanging in there.  Had my first experience with a headache a few days ago but it’s passed, thankfully.  Hoping to expand my cooking horizons this week and excited to try a few new things. I try to keep a few things on hand so I don’t fall off the plan and cheat, lol 

keep on going everyone we are 1/3 of the way there, Go Team !!!

I started my first whole30 January 2nd but only now found my way to this forum.  I have been dairy-free and gluten-free for a couple of years to try to get rid of bloating etc.  I am trying W30 to see what else may be a problem for me.  So far it hasn't been horrible, but my biggest problem is that I have always been used to having something sweet-dish at the end of a meal.  I still crave that but haven't given in either..

Archived